Texas Fishing Forum

Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4?

Posted By: Xpo102

Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 01:24 PM

Just wondering if anyone is throwing a Simano Chronarch Ci4. As I read through posts on comments about reels, this is one I haven't seen many mentions about. Wondering why?
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 01:40 PM

I have one, I won't buy another. The brake system on mine sucks. It's a backlash monster.
Posted By: Xpo102

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
I have one, I won't buy another. The brake system on mine sucks. It's a backlash monster.

What have you gone to that has better braking?
Posted By: Alex Finch

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 01:49 PM

Yes. Phenomenal reel. I have a handful of them in both the 7.6 and the 6.2 speeds. Of course, the Curado is the more budget friendly and very popular. I have a handful of those also. With the popularity of the Aldebaran and Metanium, I think the Chronarch gets kind of lost in conversation. I throw all of my bladed jigs and cranks on the 6.2:1 and flip, c/t-rig, topwater and jig with the high speed. I know guys that use the 7 speed for everything, but I prefer to use slower speeds for baits I'm moving and faster speeds for baits that I might need to pull some slack in real quick. The Aldebaran and Metanium are out of the range I want to spend right now, but if it tells you anything, I always use the Chronarchs for my favorite techniques and on whichever rod I think I'll be using the most during a tournament.
Posted By: RudyDep

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 01:52 PM

I have two and I have the same problem.
Posted By: GrantGoodner

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 02:00 PM

I've never had any problems with the braking on mine and/or backlash. It's actually one of my favorite reels. I have the 7.6:1 paired with a shimano zodias rod and it makes for a nice combo. Light weight, plenty of power, can throw it all day.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Xpo102

What have you gone to that has better braking?

I have a bunch of revo sx, ardent apex elite, and lews. They all work much better. I picked up the one to see if I liked it. I did not.
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 02:43 PM

I bought one to try, as I was always a Shimano guy. Had to grease and oil it for all the noise it made casting. I quit using it regularly. Daiwa Tatulas and Lew's Super Duty is what I've been buying lately.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 02:44 PM

I agree I bought one to try it and it's almost like it is super tight so you loosin the braking system up and it blows up on you I messed with it for hours one day and couldn't find a natural setting so I returned it and got a revo premier.
Posted By: JoeyC

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 02:50 PM

I have one and I'm done with it. It does backlash quite a bit and honestly it just isn't as smooth as I would expect for the cost. I'll stick with Lews and Daiwa.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 03:11 PM

I have a few, I love them. They do require pretty regular cleaning, but they are the smoothest reels I own.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 03:58 PM

To those that do not like yours pm me with a price.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 04:39 PM

They're majorly overpriced for a reel that feels like it WANTS to backlash. I had one and traded it for a Lew's.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: lipjerk
To those that do not like yours pm me with a price.

my thought as well.

Fantastic reel.
Posted By: Bass72

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 04:56 PM

I put 10lb braid on mine...Best light tackle set up I have...
Posted By: 96speed

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 05:13 PM

Love it. Great real, super smooth, and super light. I like it for lighter setups/lighter line. Doesn't feel as beefy as my E series Curados so I don't use it for flipping or anything over 17# line. It has 2 different ways to adjust the brakes. Took a little tweaking at first but never have a problem like some of these guys are saying. YMMV.
Posted By: Alex Finch

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 05:49 PM

Just to address the braking concerns. I set all of my Shimano reels the same way and never adjust the brake dials, regardless of wind or weight. A couple of tips:

1) Set two of the internal brakes to the On position and leave two in the off position. I alternate the brakes that are on and off.

2) Set the external brake dial at 12-13 clicks from the free (1) position. It should end up between the 2 and 3 positions.

3) Adjust the spool tension knob as necessary. A general rule of thumb is to set it where your line does not backlash when holding the rod at the 10 o'clock position and letting your bait fall to the ground. I will set it a little looser if pitching.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 07:23 PM

that's exactly what I do

have never backlashed one badly
Posted By: Bryanj

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 08:32 PM

I have 3 and they are very good reels
Posted By: Stanfo

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 09:25 PM

Good reel, the braking system on all the new body style shimano reels takes a little time to get use to and get it setup correctly. Once you figure out the setup you wont have any problems.
Posted By: G Rod

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 11:37 PM

I think they are not as forgiving as the standard Curado and much worse than the new Curado 70. The new 70 uses different brake pads that are supposed to improve the need for oil on the braking system. Seems to work.
Posted By: T54

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/25/16 11:38 PM

I run 6 of them and they are my favorite reels in my lineup...well, other than the Metanium.
Posted By: Slefler

Re: Is anyone throwing a Chronarch Ci4? - 05/26/16 12:15 AM

I use it for finesse/light bait situations like a shakey head. Took me a long timeeeee to find the magic spot on the brakes, it took some very fine tuning but once you get it dialed in it's an amazing reel.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum