Texas Fishing Forum

rooster tails

Posted By: los1983

rooster tails - 05/24/16 11:41 PM

Tried it but failed, I was using a baitcaster for it, but couldn't cast it right. Is it the wrong reel to use? And how do you use the?
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: rooster tails - 05/25/16 12:03 AM

Zebco 33
Posted By: 361V

Re: rooster tails - 05/25/16 12:10 AM

Unless you have a true finesse bait casting set up you will have to go spinning rod. Fish catching lures though.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: rooster tails - 05/25/16 12:34 AM

#3 Mepps Black Fury - Will cast very well. I have cleaned many a pond out in the spring paralleling the shore line with hip boots on. Fan fish the bank, from shallow to deep, then move forward a few steps to over lap your cast.

It is sold at Walmart - Black blade with Orange dots inline type spinner and the treble hook is yellow/red feathered.
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: rooster tails - 05/25/16 01:28 AM

Rooster tails, mepps, bringing me back!!...throw in a shyster and a few daredevil spoons and you have my childhood

And hellbenders,sonics,fishbacks, firetails etc etc
Posted By: WCGunns

Re: rooster tails - 05/25/16 02:20 AM

If you like rooster tails you might try the H&H Spinnerbait

Re: rooster tails - 05/25/16 04:01 PM

Lol I bought some H&H spinners baits, friend of mine said that river bass like those, I also have spoons and some roadrunners, so a spinning reel it is then

Re: rooster tails - 05/25/16 04:02 PM

Thanks a lot guys, love this forum
Posted By: eggs'isled

Re: rooster tails - 05/26/16 11:57 PM

I love throwing a #2 Rooster Tail on my ultra-light spinning setup, has 4lb mono on it and will catch darn near everything that swims in a pond/lake/river anywhere...when the bite is off is when it comes out...if you want to throw a Rooster on a baitcaster they make them in bigger sizes and enough color patterns to give ya a headache...one tip that will save ya some serious down time, buy quality ball bearing swivels with a cross snap, helps cut the line twist down to almost nothing...
Posted By: 6.5BR

Re: rooster tails - 05/27/16 03:42 PM

What swivels do you like?

Re: rooster tails - 05/27/16 08:38 PM

Ive never thought about swivels, maybe need to make some investments
Posted By: Trickster

Re: rooster tails - 05/27/16 10:02 PM

Mepps and SuperSonics!
Posted By: timwins31

Re: rooster tails - 05/28/16 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: los1983
Ive never thought about swivels, maybe need to make some investments

No swivels unless necessary. Extra knots are just more places that can fail when you have a big fish on the other end.
Posted By: Preacher Ed

Re: rooster tails - 05/28/16 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: los1983
Lol I bought some H&H spinners baits, friend of mine said that river bass like those, I also have spoons and some roadrunners, so a spinning reel it is then

Interesting you say that about the river fish. There are a lot of guys around here that fish the Ouachita and Red Rivers that use smaller spinnerbaits that have the old type, non-ball-bearing swivels on them. Lures like the old Humdinger. They swear by them.
Posted By: eggs'isled

Re: rooster tails - 05/29/16 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: 6.5BR
What swivels do you like?

Sampo... they are the best, expensive, but over thirty years of buying them and fishing them I have never had one fail, I use them exclusively on my inline spinners because I don't lose to many of them...with that said I have tried to save money over the years trying different brands to use on my deep water spoons that I fish on the bottom of the lake because nature of the beast is your going to lose a lot of spoons down there...LOL... and with the Bass Pro brand I usually have at least one out of each package that for whatever reason has trouble freely spinning that I need to take the cross snap off of and throw the swivel away...consider this, the amount of line twist you will eliminate will increase the life of you line and save you money in replacing line that will make the swivels pay for themselves...and to "Timwins31" - extra knots ???...ya lost me, you have one knot attached to the swivel that attaches to the bait, your line will break before the cross lock will give way... I will only use a ball bearing swivel for these two applications - in line spinners and spoons, because they really remove line twist and let the bait move freely, carolina rigs get the old barrel swivel...LOL...

check out the Sampo website http://sampoinc.com/sampo_swivels.htm
Posted By: greenen

Re: rooster tails - 05/29/16 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike_Soriano™
Rooster tails, mepps, bringing me back!!...throw in a shyster and a few daredevil spoons and you have my childhood

And hellbenders,sonics,fishbacks, firetails etc etc

Shysters were line twisters! I always keep a big white feathered rooster tail on a spinning reel in my box.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum