Texas Fishing Forum

Which Dobyns rod?.....

Posted By: Wave Away

Which Dobyns rod?..... - 05/24/16 10:46 PM

I'm looking for a dobyns rod that would be good for swimbaits/glide baits between 1-2 ounces. Thinking of something with some give because I throw a lot of treble hook baits. Any Dobyn's guys out there that can recomend one?....thanks.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Which Dobyns rod?..... - 05/25/16 12:16 AM

For a smaller investment a Fury 795SB is great but honestly that size lure is at the bottom of its weight range but it works great and will handle much heavier swimbaits. I have never had a problem throwing lures in that weight range with my Dobyns Champion 736 or my 805. If I was buying a new rod specifically for 1-2oz swimbaits I would purchase the 806.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Which Dobyns rod?..... - 05/25/16 12:56 AM

I have the 795 Champion. Dobyns makes two 795 swim bait rods. I have the one with the shorter handle.
Posted By: fwfisher

Re: Which Dobyns rod?..... - 05/25/16 02:01 AM

Based on your description, my vote would be the 806c.
Posted By: jfdawson

Re: Which Dobyns rod?..... - 05/25/16 03:11 AM

i throw a 805cb RM with 10XD and it handles that one fine. I don't own any of the larger Swimbait rods that you mention, but they have a Mike Long signature 795 Swimbait rods that go from 1oz-5oz. these rods have a longer handle and were designed for those California Swim baits. Might be too stiff for that 'whip' action you're wanting. You might call them and I'm sure Gary or his son would offer good advise on what to get.

http://dobynsrods.com/rod/805cb-rm/

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dobyns_Champion_XP_Swimbait_Casting_Rods/descpage-XXS.html

the new Champion series called the Champion XP have the Fugi guides... Tacklewarehouse will probably have a 15% off Sale this weekend where you can save a few bucks --- FYI.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Which Dobyns rod?..... - 05/25/16 11:54 AM

The Dobyns 795 was designed for swim baits and it has a great tip action and it will throw a large swim bait a long way. I had both 795 rods and sold the one with the longer handle. For me it was just too long. I like the shorter one better.
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Which Dobyns rod?..... - 05/25/16 01:37 PM

I have the 806, and a 1 oz bait is way too light for the rod; even 2 oz is questionable. I often throw a 2.5oz bait and it seems to be a good weight for the rod. I would recommend, as others have, the 795. I throw 2 oz bullshads on a 736 full handle rod, and it works perfectly.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum