Texas Fishing Forum

Light TX rig vs shakey head

Posted By: Wirebender

Light TX rig vs shakey head - 05/23/16 10:52 PM

What factors determine which to use for you? Type of cover or what? Thanks.
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Light TX rig vs shakey head - 05/23/16 10:55 PM

Good question. Interested to hear
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: Light TX rig vs shakey head - 05/23/16 11:21 PM

shakey head normally presents the bait in an upright position, little more enticing, and the Texas rig gives it more of a lay down drag. most shakey heads snag in heavy cover but some will pull through just fine depends on the head style, it is mostly what you have more confidence in throwing. good luck be interesting to see some other thoughts on this.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Light TX rig vs shakey head - 05/23/16 11:26 PM

Other than the way they come thru grass I don't really prefer one over the other. I'm interested in this too. My wife seems to have an easier time fishing a shaky head as opposed to t-rig, so there's that.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Light TX rig vs shakey head - 05/23/16 11:28 PM

Split shot TX rig over shakey head all day! It is preference/confidence though.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Light TX rig vs shakey head - 05/23/16 11:38 PM

I like the shakey head with worms/craws that float and paddle tail type worms. Good around gravel and silty bottom compositions (keeps the bait out of the silt)

Light T rig--great for emerging and sparse cover (patchy grass, emerging small pads)--I like craws, tubes, small creatures, and paddle tail worms
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Light TX rig vs shakey head - 05/24/16 12:14 AM

I don't use a shaky head around much cover. Grass especially I avoid. A t rig will slip thru cover so much easier. Wood is the only cover I usually fish the shaky head around.

Plus I've been fishing a t rig for a good 25 years now, shaky head for maybe 5 or so. . .
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: Light TX rig vs shakey head - 05/24/16 12:27 AM

I fish a Spot Remover Pro model in either 1/8 or 3/16. This thing stands a bait straight up. Not sure how but it comes through cover better than a T-Rig. I prefer the shaky head with small worms in clear water. I use a T-Rig with creature baits and larger worms. I don't pin the weight on my T-Rig.
They both have a very different feel of the bite. With Shaky head I see the line move or feel heaviness on the line. With the T-Rig I feel the tap-tap much more pronounced due the the weight sliding down the line when the fish picks it up.
I love the bite on both.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Light TX rig vs shakey head - 05/24/16 12:31 AM

I use a shakey head when i am fishing slower and want more of a finesse presentation. I use a trig when i am covering water faster
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Light TX rig vs shakey head - 05/24/16 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Wirebender

To be honest if theses are the types of fishing I am doing I have both tied on to fish both to see what the fish want.
Posted By: brennansgrandpa

Re: Light TX rig vs shakey head - 05/24/16 01:16 AM

Shaky head for me around wood and docks. Funny thing, but my best fish have come when all of a sudden it feels like the bait is gone and they are swimming with it.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Light TX rig vs shakey head - 05/24/16 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Wirebender

I don't pitch or flip a shakey head and use it for bottom fishing or in and around horizontal cover like lay downs or structure changes (bottom contour).

I feel like a light Texas rig is better for fishing vertically like pitching or flipping trees, bushes or grass.

Both baits I'd list in my top 5 most successful tools.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Light TX rig vs shakey head - 05/24/16 02:37 AM

Usaully have both tied on. Learn on the fly which is working better at that time. Throw both in all types of structure. Shakey head a little more during hot summer and cold winter. Example blue fleck worm I'll have 6" t-rig and 4" shakey head tied on.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum