Texas Fishing Forum

Fork- what type of floating vegetation is this? And quick report....update invasive plant - parrot feather

Posted By: Rog

Fork- what type of floating vegetation is this? And quick report....update invasive plant - parrot feather - 05/22/16 03:04 AM

Got out a bit late and every place I wanted to hit shallow had a boat on it.......found one point loaded with bait and herons sitting around but no bass. Went deep 15-30ft and could not get away from the magnum whites. Kept catching them on CR fluke and they even hit the magunum fluke that I was counting down. I thought it was going to be in when I pulled up on this hump and the giant gizzard shad were jumping out of the water.......it was the biggest school of giant whites I have ever seen. Managed some dinks and one around 4 lbs that was still guarding fry in the back of Birch. Tough day for me for black bass.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Fork- what type of emergent vegitation is this? And quick report.... - 05/22/16 03:25 AM

I did a search...

Looks like Elodea.

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/visual-index/
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Fork- what type of emergent vegitation is this? And quick report.... - 05/22/16 03:39 AM

I call it pond weed.bunch of it in TX ponds.tje Shad was getting after it this morning where I was too

Re: Fork- what type of emergent vegitation is this? And quick report.... - 05/22/16 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: David Burton

I updated my original post. The stuff in the picture was floating out on a flat and not attached to the bottom. I looked up Elodea and do not believe it is that. At first I thought it was what I call alligator grass that broke free from wind or a boat but it did not look like the other vegetation in the area......
Posted By: FishinFain

Re: Fork- what type of emergent vegitation is this? And quick report.... - 05/22/16 04:25 AM

Fork is a zoo right now! I was also at fork today, and got out a little late as well, by the time I got to all of my spots they were swarmed with boats, ended up fishing deep, had a tough day as well until I went to 18-20ft, managed to catch a 9 on an 8XD and a couple dinks on the c-rig, bites were few and far between though. Also I had a buddy fishing shallow who caught numbers but not much quality
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Fork- what type of emergent vegitation is this? And quick report.... - 05/22/16 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Rog
The stuff in the picture was floating out on a flat and not attached to the bottom.

Beyond looking similar to your picture (other than the length of the leaflets, this is why I thought it was Elodea...

"Elodea is a rooted multi-branched perennial plant but can survive and grow as floating fragments."

Re: Fork- what type of emergent vegitation is this? And quick report.... - 05/22/16 04:39 AM

Originally Posted By: FishinFain
Fork is a zoo right now! I was also at fork today, and got out a little late as well, by the time I got to all of my spots they were swarmed with boats, ended up fishing deep, had a tough day as well until I went to 18-20ft, managed to catch a 9 on an 8XD and a couple dinks on the c-rig, bites were few and far between though. Also I had a buddy fishing shallow who caught numbers but not much quality

At least you got one nice one. I finally gave up and went shallow and caught 15lbs one fish at a time.....lol I threw cranks, spoons, C rig, magnum flukes, jig etc out deep.....I know there had to be some bass in with the whites but lost interest in trying to weed through the whites and they seemed to be on every point and hump I went to.

Re: Fork- what type of emergent vegitation is this? And quick report.... - 05/22/16 04:46 AM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
The stuff in the picture was floating out on a flat and not attached to the bottom.

Beyond looking similar to your picture (other than the length of the leaflets, this is why I thought it was Elodea...

"Elodea is a rooted multi-branched perennial plant but can survive and grow as floating fragments."

Yeah I saw that also but I believe it grows on the bottom like hydrilla. They state it is often confused with hydrilla and the photos look like hydrilla. I looked up Salvina also and there are some photos that look like what I saw. Sent photo off to TPWD....not a biologist and didn't stay at Holiday Inn express last night smile. Thanks for response and sharing. I will share their response.
Posted By: Siberman

Re: Fork- what type of floating vegetation is this? And quick report.... - 05/22/16 04:52 AM

I believe it's "Parrot's Feather " . It used to be sold for ornamental ponds . It can root or float .

Re: Fork- what type of floating vegetation is this? And quick report.... - 05/22/16 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Siberman
I believe it's "Parrot's Feather " . It used to be sold for ornamental ponds . It can root or float .

Yeah I think that's what it is also. I looked it up and it looks identical.
Posted By: Mayo

Re: Fork- what type of floating vegetation is this? And quick report.... - 05/22/16 05:23 AM

Northern Lights haha
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Fork- what type of floating vegetation is this? And quick report.... - 05/22/16 06:25 AM

Yeah I think that's what it is also. I looked it up and it looks identical.

Yep, that's what I was told on another thread.. saw the same stuff on Fork growing everywhere and didn't remember seeing it the two years previous I've been fishing the lake.

Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Fork- what type of floating vegetation is this? And quick report.... - 05/22/16 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Mayo
Northern Lights haha

We could only hope

Gman
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Fork- what type of floating vegetation is this? And quick report.... - 05/22/16 01:36 PM

There's a lot of it on Sandlin this year. I don't remember ever seeing it before.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Fork- what type of floating vegetation is this? And quick report.... - 05/22/16 01:46 PM

Thats what it is. They have a picture of all the invasive stuff at the oak ridge launch. We saw some up in birch.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Fork- what type of floating vegetation is this? And quick report.... - 05/22/16 01:59 PM

Northern Lights haha

Splain yourself Woosy.
Posted By: Mayo

Re: Fork- what type of floating vegetation is this? And quick report.... - 05/22/16 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Northern Lights haha

Splain yourself Woosy.

roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: Siberman

Re: Fork- what type of floating vegetation is this? And quick report.... - 05/22/16 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson
There's a lot of it on Sandlin this year. I don't remember ever seeing it before.

I bought one small bunch for my koi pond and it completely covered the 8'x12' surface in a month . I don't know if you can still buy it in Texas .

Re: Fork- what type of floating vegetation is this? And quick report.... - 05/22/16 04:04 PM

TPWD confirmed that it is parrot feather. Thanks guys !
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum