Texas Fishing Forum

Gen 1 Omen Black rods. . .have you experienced this?

Posted By: timwins31

Gen 1 Omen Black rods. . .have you experienced this? - 05/21/16 01:38 PM

I've been throwing a small frog, a padcrusher jr, on the 7'1 MH Gen 1 Omen Black rod. When I set the hook on a fish that's bigger than around 4 lbs, I can feel some unusual flex in the blank, directly under the reel foot. It feels like it's gonna snap to be honest, and in a very strange place.

I've heard the stories of them breaking on folks, luckily I haven't experienced that yet. But it seems most of those complaints were the rod breaking in the last 12" or so.

So has anyone broke one at the reel seat or felt the odd flexing there?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Gen 1 Omen Black rods. . .have you experienced this? - 05/21/16 02:20 PM

The reel seat is shimmed and epoxied to the rod shaft to keep it from spinning around and around when the reel is attached to the rod. I am pretty sure the rod shaft is cracked causing the noise and flex as it gives on the hook set.

It can be fixed; but suspect it will not be cost effective. If the rod is cracked then it will probably crack all the way up in the process of breaking the reel seat loose from the rod to make the repairs.
- If it is the reel seat epoxy letting go and no cracks in the rod itself then it can be fixed.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Gen 1 Omen Black rods. . .have you experienced this? - 05/21/16 04:22 PM

I would contact them. They have handled two issues I have had with Gen 1's quickly & professionally. Sent me a free cap both times.

Posted By: JkWho

Re: Gen 1 Omen Black rods. . .have you experienced this? - 05/21/16 11:52 PM

Their customer service is AWESOME, give them a call and fill them in on your issue
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Gen 1 Omen Black rods. . .have you experienced this? - 05/22/16 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: JkWho
Their customer service is AWESOME, give them a call and fill them in on your issue

Very true. I've had two rods replaced, no hastle.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum