Texas Fishing Forum

How do you fish a Whooper plopper

Posted By: slim 285

How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/20/16 03:10 PM

What kind of retrieve works best.
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/20/16 03:11 PM

If you watched the Toledo bend live action or find the archives, watch what Chris Lane is doing.

Basically and slow or medium paced, constant retrieve .
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/20/16 05:24 PM

Start with straight retrieve. If that doesn't work, try a rip and stop. If that doesn't work, drink a beer.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/20/16 05:32 PM

The musky version of this lure has been around a long time, called a top raider. I know we are talking different fish, but every one I've ever caught using this lure has been on a steady retrieve.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/20/16 05:46 PM

Sometimes I will cast it a good way past my target - stump, dock piling, weed edge etc. I will use a straight, steady retrieve until I get to the target, then kill it. They can hear it & see it before it gets there. Sometimes that pause can get a massive blow up. Other times it happens as soon as you start the retrieve again.
Posted By: Jkrez

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/20/16 06:20 PM

Which size works best?
Posted By: Chuck N. Wind

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/20/16 06:57 PM

Just saw Ish fishing it like a buzz bait. Steady searching.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/20/16 10:17 PM

steady plop, plop, plop, plop, plop
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/20/16 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Jkrez
Which size works best?

I like the medium best.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/21/16 12:04 AM

I would fish it just like I fish the spook. Target the big Bass and let it sit. Be patient. Move it every so slightly. Make it do the dying quiver which is the 180 degree turn and let it sit. If it will do all that???
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/21/16 12:57 AM

It's made to be reeled at a steady pace similar to a buzzbait
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/21/16 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
It's made to be reeled at a steady pace similar to a buzzbait

^^^ This. Think of it as a floating buzzbait that can be slowed down without sinking below the surface.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/21/16 01:36 AM

Just was wondering if it will turn to the left or right when you twitch it? I have a couple of prop baits that will and have caught a couple of good ones on them.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/21/16 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Just was wondering if it will turn to the left or right when you twitch it? I have a couple of prop baits that will and have caught a couple of good ones on them.
Yes it will I do it like that sometimes but mostly a steady retrieve.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/21/16 02:42 AM

not really. It kinda just plods ahead when you pop it.

I fished with Bertrand one day in Missouri. He used one all day. And it was just a medium, steady retrieve. He finally gave me one to use since he was kinda burning the bank with the TM on a pretty fast setting. He caught some good fish with it. I never did. Haven't since. He gave the plopper he let me use. To me, it's just a big ole heavy salt water lure. Lol. I caught good fish following him up with a crank and a senko.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/21/16 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
not really. It kinda just plods ahead when you pop it.

I fished with Bertrand one day in Missouri. He used one all day. And it was just a medium, steady retrieve. He finally gave me one to use since he was kinda burning the bank with the TM on a pretty fast setting. He caught some good fish with it. I never did. Haven't since. He gave the plopper he let me use. To me, it's just a big ole heavy salt water lure. Lol. I caught good fish following him up with a crank and a senko.
I can make it walk just fine.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/21/16 03:33 PM

My HS boys have caught some good fish on one this weekend.
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/21/16 04:14 PM

Haven't fished one much, but I do know this... If you get a little too much crud in between the tail and the axle through the tail the whole bait will spin and twist the [censored] out of your line. It's not that easy to see it happening because the bait is still plopping along even as the bait is spinning. Probably a good idea to use a snap swivel to prevent this.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/22/16 02:20 AM

...what a about a Herb's Dilly?
Posted By: Phototex

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/22/16 03:04 AM

Sometimes, before I start the retrieve, I simply let it float and pop it once in a while so it moves up and down in the same place. That can draw some savage strikes. When I retrieve it, I let the fish tell me what they want at that time and place. Sometimes slow and steady, sometimes fast and steady, sometimes extremely fast and steady, and sometimes a varied, start and stop retrieve. Very few bass simply suck it it....they usually attack it. That's been my experience, anyway. I only throw the medium- and large-size versions of the WP.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: How do you fish a Whooper plopper - 05/22/16 12:29 PM

Brent Ehler fished it yesterday and Wesley Strader the year before at the TTBC when I rode with them. They both threw it on braid with a steady retrieve, slow to medium speed. I have yet to see a fish hit it but both said its a good big fish bait.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum