Texas Fishing Forum

Broken tilt?

Posted By: The Rodfather

Broken tilt? - 05/20/16 03:30 AM

Has anyone ever broke the tilt steering on their boat? If so, what's envolved in the fix? I broke mine this past weekend and I can't even get the steering wheel off to investigate. Any help is appreciated.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Broken tilt? - 05/20/16 03:51 AM

On my Skeeter I used a puller to remove steering wheel , the tilt assembly is integrated with the steering box which is attached to housing of steering cables , in other words you must R/R the complete steering box . I know steering box is not the correct part description . This is what I found on my boat when I R/R the Steering Cables .
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Broken tilt? - 05/20/16 04:10 AM

Hog Jaw is correct. I'm quite sure the entire helm assembly is one "part number" that gets replaced. You'll need a pulley puller or steering wheel puller to get the steering wheel hub off the helm shaft. Quite often those get over torqued onto the tapered shaft and they get locked on there pretty tight. I've had one sound like a firecracker when it came loose the "pop" sound was so intense.

I've never heard of a helm being broken, but that's just my own observation of boats I encounter. Assuming you have SeaStar Pro hydraulic steering, you're probably going to be rather careful after you replace the broken one - the cost will be several HUNDRED dollars (just for the new helm). There are a number of different ones, so be absolutely sure you get the right one to replace yours. Not doing this correctly can have a very serious/deadly outcome. You may need to turn this over to a pro for the repair as steering is not something to tinker with if you aren't well versed in doing so.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Broken tilt? - 05/20/16 10:47 AM

SSsmith has the complete tilt new
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Broken tilt? - 05/20/16 11:54 AM

What brand is the steering?

Originally Posted By: The Rodfather
Has anyone ever broke the tilt steering on their boat? If so, what's envolved in the fix? I broke mine this past weekend and I can't even get the steering wheel off to investigate. Any help is appreciated.
Posted By: The Rodfather

Re: Broken tilt? - 05/20/16 06:16 PM

The hydraulics are Seastar
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum