Texas Fishing Forum

What am I seeing on my depth finder?

Posted By: Lil joe

What am I seeing on my depth finder? - 05/19/16 04:26 AM

[img:left]http://[/img]
I was out this evening just graphing and I found that when I got deeper than 25 ft it was showing all the blue up to exactly 25 feet even when it was 35 feet deep. I have also noticed that once it gets completely dark the whole screen will be covered in blue like this. I was thinking maybe a thermocline?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: What am I seeing on my depth finder? - 05/19/16 04:55 AM

Doubt it's a thermocline. Too early in the season, you would see more of an even/hard return line, and I believe something would show in the side imaging. You also have fish down there. It looks more like a sediment layer to me.

You have a couple of bait balls in mid-depths, baitfish on the surface, some feeding bass... So it could also be really spread-out baitfish.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: What am I seeing on my depth finder? - 05/19/16 12:20 PM

I would say sediment layer, i see that around a lot of road beds for some reason. There is fish and bait fish obviously, but i wouldn't say they're feeding by any means. It looks like they're just suspended on the hump or whatever you're graphing
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: What am I seeing on my depth finder? - 05/19/16 12:24 PM

I've seen this a few times. Before the sun comes up, solid blue below a certain depth from 12 to 25 feet or so. Once the sun is up in the sky a bit, its gone. No idea what it is.

My only guess is baitfish that are spread out, since it goes away in the sun
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: What am I seeing on my depth finder? - 05/19/16 12:27 PM

It's like when night fishing and the screen is filled with random blobs and blotches. I've heard everything from algae to jellyfish. Don't know what it is.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: What am I seeing on my depth finder? - 05/19/16 12:37 PM

Big ball of baitfish and several white bass, ignore the black most the time it's just artifact.
Posted By: Neal G

Re: What am I seeing on my depth finder? - 05/19/16 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: James Biggs
Big ball of baitfish and several white bass, ignore the black most the time it's just artifact.

This
Posted By: Klinger N Ok

Re: What am I seeing on my depth finder? - 05/19/16 01:04 PM

Plankton.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: What am I seeing on my depth finder? - 05/19/16 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: James Biggs

Agreed, it's just an artifact. There's not anything down there.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: What am I seeing on my depth finder? - 05/19/16 01:29 PM

The active feeding fish do look like white bass
Posted By: dw173

Re: What am I seeing on my depth finder? - 05/19/16 04:31 PM

Adjust surface clutter and sensitivity. Looks like sediment floating above bottom. That disturbance on the left side of the SI shot at the boat looks like maybe a transducer setup issue. Maybe an expert will pipe in....I could be totally wrong.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: What am I seeing on my depth finder? - 05/19/16 04:38 PM

coach Drop a slab and find out peep
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: What am I seeing on my depth finder? - 05/19/16 08:12 PM

That disturbance on the left side of the SI shot at the boat looks like maybe a transducer setup issue,..
looks like prop wash.. fish
Posted By: Mo_Cat

Re: What am I seeing on my depth finder? - 05/20/16 05:22 AM

Agree with Collincountytx 100%. In addition with all the high water and suspended sediment it's hard to keep sensitivity adjusted. My best graphing is winter in cold water.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: What am I seeing on my depth finder? - 05/20/16 08:50 AM

Good info
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: What am I seeing on my depth finder? - 05/20/16 10:39 AM

All the blue on the bottom is Algae and Plankton. All the Blue on the top is prop wash. you have a ball of bait fish on the right. and some suspended fish all around them. they dont look like they are in a "Actively feeding Fish Mood" like said above. normally when bass are feeding on schools of bait, the bass will look like Lines going up to the bait instead of making arches. If you pull up on another area like that and it has bait fish and the bass looks as if wolverine just slashed his claws right threw your screen and its going up to bait. you about to smack em!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum