Texas Fishing Forum

Are some lakes easier to fish than others?

Posted By: RJF1423

Are some lakes easier to fish than others? - 05/17/16 05:59 PM

Two of the lakes I fish, Alan Henry and Oak Creek have tons of cover. Especially, AH, the entire lake is basically the same everywhere. Maybe I'm just not a great fisherman but I have never found a spot that just produces more fish than others. It seems like all I can ever do is pick a fish off here and there going down the bank. Every once in a while I can catch two in the same bush. I also have never found anything off the bank at AH that produces. And I have spent hours trying to graph with my SI unit to find deeper fish schooled up. When I am catching them it's basically everywhere I go.

Now Lake Amistad is a completely different story. I've sat on a long point and caught tons of fish off of the exact same point. I've also found ledges and humps and coves where there are just way more fish than other places. Amistad is mainly a rocky lake with intermittent areas of grass and trees. Much different than AH or Oak Creek.

Lake Sweetwater, which is about 20 miles from Oak Creek, (and is practically dry now frown ) is much different as well. The dam holds a ton of fish, and there are certain docks where I can catch 10 fish and others where there are none. The reason is because some have piles of rock underneath and the rest are a soft bottom.

So my question is this... Is it possible that some lakes are harder to fish due to there being to much cover? Seems like all the lakes I fish that have much less cover it's easier to find and catch more fish.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Are some lakes easier to fish than others? - 05/17/16 06:11 PM

Basically "Yes" to your question!! I think it boils down to AH and OC having so much "cover"(which you mentioned) that the bass can spread out and still be comfortable. And then once on a lake where the cover is "minimal" then the bass are forced to congregate more. And for sure harder bottoms typically attract bass more than a muddy one. We have a small lake on here on base that during the summer months is almost 95% covered in lily pads. Sounds like a "frog guys dream" but really you cover tons of water to get a few bites. Now when its early spring and just small clumps of pads it's totally different and you can pretty much call your shots at each pad location.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Are some lakes easier to fish than others? - 05/17/16 06:59 PM

Exactly; the more cover you have in a lake the more water you have to cover to find the sweet spots. But, isn't that what we have to do on every lake to find the spots that hold the fish the best. Time spent on any given body of water will produce those sweet spots for you. It is all about the food supply and spawning time.

Even in Mexico where we catch 100 per day it is the same, just more fish with not as many predictors. You will have 3 coves all in a row going up the main lake; the main lake points are all basically the same. The depths of the coves are all basically the same. They even all look alike in many ways; but the fish can tell the difference. There will only be one or two points in each of those coves that are holding big bass. All of these points are covered in brush and it all looks good. You just don't stay very long on each point. We pull up on the end of a point in 10 ft. of water and start fishing. In 10 minutes if we have not been bit, we move to the next point until we find the fish. We move from one side of the cove to the other fishing every point for 10 minutes until we find the big producers.

Lakes without cover as we have found on Lake Amistad when the GRASS went away becomes 10 times harder to pattern. It becomes a deep water bite that is harder to produce and repeat on day in and day out. Be thankful for cover as Bass use it in so many different ways and all of them will get you bit.
Posted By: RJF1423

Re: Are some lakes easier to fish than others? - 05/17/16 07:44 PM

Speaking of Amistad. It's been a few years since I have been there. Stopped going in 2014. Has the grass come back yet?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Are some lakes easier to fish than others? - 05/17/16 08:01 PM

Very little in select spots. It will be great again when it does. I can hardly wait.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum