Texas Fishing Forum

KVD

Posted By: beermill

KVD - 05/12/16 05:59 PM

Do you think Kevin will win Toledo Bend?
Posted By: jseago

Re: KVD - 05/12/16 06:03 PM

no
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: KVD - 05/12/16 06:05 PM

He's put himself in position to do so....the 'ol saying applies: "you can't win it on day 1, but...."
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: KVD - 05/12/16 06:36 PM

I'd like it if he did!! Has been nothing but a bonus for the sport as a lure modifier/creator, relentless as a top dog(making others work extremely hard to catch up), and he's a straight up good guy! Maybe he "is" starting to slow down as he isn't winning much anymore but hey if you took all those "KVD" baits away from his competitors THEY WOULD SUFFER!!
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: KVD - 05/12/16 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: bassmanrudy
I'd like it if he did!! Has been nothing but a bonus for the sport as a lure modifier/creator, relentless as a top dog(making others work extremely hard to catch up), and he's a straight up good guy! Maybe he "is" starting to slow down as he isn't winning much anymore but hey if you took all those "KVD" baits away from his competitors THEY WOULD SUFFER!!

I disagree. There are tons of good companies making baits that catch piles of fish without the KVD initials. They don't care about his name on a bait except wishing it was theirs for the income probably haha.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: KVD - 05/12/16 07:40 PM

All the guys that say they use baits with KVD name on it are sponsored by Strike King.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: KVD - 05/12/16 08:01 PM

meh. I will put the H20 Squarebills up against the KVD 1.5 & 2.5 any day of the week for 1/2 the price.

The name on the bait does nothing but sell more baits to fanboys.
Posted By: buda13

Re: KVD - 05/12/16 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: beermill
Do you think Kevin will win Toledo Bend?

I certainly wouldn't bet against him, he's due. thumb
Posted By: Gogo3417

Re: KVD - 05/12/16 08:07 PM

I agree about the H20 squarebills. They catch fish.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: KVD - 05/12/16 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: kellisag

meh. I will put the H20 Squarebills up against the KVD 1.5 & 2.5 any day of the week for 1/2 the price.

Who's square bills do you think H2O knocked off? EVERYONE's!

Re: KVD - 05/12/16 08:08 PM

kelli- I really like the H20 baits. And they use the same line tie as SK lures. But they didn't do that til after SK did. As for paint colors and finishes they are fine to me!

Slim- plenty of guys who aren't sponsored by SK use that stuff... see it a lot on shows like MLF and all. "can't beat em join em" mentality!!

chance- what part did you disagree with? I didn't say other companies didn't make good lures. I just said if you took all the KVD made lures from his fellow competitors that they wouldn't do as well.
Posted By: Statton48

Re: KVD - 05/12/16 08:09 PM

I like strike kings kvd series of baits for sure....but also like a lot of other small bait companies and lures. I agree on the above statement, he has done nothing but help this sport.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: KVD - 05/12/16 08:16 PM

I wish he would figure out a way to make the bills stop breaking off the squarebill cranks
Posted By: Preacher Ed

Re: KVD - 05/12/16 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

Mr. Fouzman-I read your comments on here all the time and I must say that I admire you. Agree with you most of the time. However, everyone acts like SK came up with the squarebill idea. But the Rebel R series and the Bagley's (and I am sure there are others) were making squarebills before SK was ever formed and many fishermen were catching a lot of fish on them and not telling anyone. And I don't know how KVD kept a straight face talking about the Red Eye Shad in commercials this year talking about how they put a Tungsten One Knock rattle in their lures and, while not saying it, but acting like it was a new idea. And I am not crediting Xcalibur with the One Knock deal, but every lure manufacturer had to wake up and see what happened when they quit making their One Knock lures last year. As far as I know, Cordell 1st came up with the 1 knock deal many years ago in some of their Spots. My point is, while H2O might have knocked off everyone else's squarebill, most of today's lure manufacturer's are only modifying someone else's lures. One day, everyone is going to realize that KVD is not a god and he doesn't walk on the water. And yet it is hard to tell that by the comments of some. He is just a guy who is talented when it comes to fishing.
Posted By: T54

Re: KVD - 05/12/16 11:22 PM

I think he will win it. He typically doesn't take his foot off the gas once he is ahead. I guess he hadn't gotten the memo from all the talking heads saying he finished.
Posted By: Neal G

Re: KVD - 05/13/16 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: slim 285
All the guys that say they use baits with KVD name on it are sponsored by Strike King.

This is complete garbage. There are some SK baits in most of the Elite field boats.

Phil Marks and the SK guys make some good baits. It was incredible how they transformed the company from spinner baits to where they are now. The downfall may be that some of the SK baits are too popular - example 6XD.
Posted By: Burgerboy

Re: KVD - 05/13/16 12:43 AM

Rick Clunn is in 2nd, after getting a win this season already, that is impressive. I will be thrilled if he can score a Sunday final 12 slot. I love to see the old guard do well.
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: KVD - 05/13/16 03:25 AM

I just wish someone would listen to my lure ideas like they do his. The helicopter lure was my idea!
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: KVD - 05/13/16 03:29 AM

chance- what part did you disagree with? I didn't say other companies didn't make good lures. I just said if you took all the KVD made lures from his fellow competitors that they wouldn't do as well.

That part. I think they would do just fine. Heck I know they would. Yeah SK makes good baits but they aren't a be all end all. Just my opinion.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: KVD - 05/13/16 03:50 AM

I dont think he will hang on for the win.
Posted By: David Medler

Re: KVD - 05/13/16 04:00 AM

I'm on board with KVD winning one.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: KVD - 05/13/16 10:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Neal G
Originally Posted By: slim 285

This is complete garbage. There are some SK baits in most of the Elite field boats.

Phil Marks and the SK guys make some good baits. It was incredible how they transformed the company from spinner baits to where they are now. The downfall may be that some of the SK baits are too popular - example 6XD.

I went to the final day weigh in of one of the Toyota tournaments at Conroe, iaconelli had done real well, he said on the stage in front of everyone that he caught ALL of his fish on carribean shad rapala DTs. When it aired on tv he had a lot more 6xds tied on his rods on the deck than rapalas. In fact, I saw no rapalas on his rods
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: KVD - 05/13/16 03:01 PM

Dude is legit. Boats a tank, and then gets a 10XD buried past the barb in his palm. Waves over a boat, wraps braid around it and has a dude yank it out of his hand and he's right back to fishing. I'm impressed.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: KVD - 05/13/16 03:02 PM

He just caught an 8 lber on a 10xd and rammed a hook in his hand. Then he removed it on bassmaster live. Definitely got my blood pumping.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: KVD - 05/13/16 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Brent S
He just caught an 8 lber on a 10xd and rammed a hook in his hand. Then he removed it on bassmaster live. Definitely got my blood pumping.

That was nuts! Put the hook back on and is back to using it haha

Re: KVD - 05/13/16 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
Dude is legit. Boats a tank, and then gets a 10XD buried past the barb in his palm. Waves over a boat, wraps braid around it and has a dude yank it out of his hand and he's right back to fishing. I'm impressed.

Yeah that is Sick!! 8.5 yesterday and an 8 today!!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: KVD - 05/13/16 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue

Yeah that is Sick!! 8.5 yesterday and an 8 today!!

Not to mention that Toledo Bend ain't too shabby of a fishing hole either.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: KVD - 05/13/16 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

That particular 1.5 body shape came from Lucky Craft. Its been knocked off by so many others including SK and Academy at this point its crazy. roflmao
Posted By: kellisag

Re: KVD - 05/13/16 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

That particular 1.5 body shape came from Lucky Craft. Its been knocked off by so many others including SK and Academy at this point its crazy. roflmao

I don't know who started it but I know I have H20, KVD, Xcalibur, 6th sense & Luck-e-Strike in my boat that you can barely tell the difference in the body/bill shape.
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: KVD - 05/13/16 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

I don't know who started it but I know I have H20, KVD, Xcalibur, 6th sense & Luck-e-Strike in my boat that you can barely tell the difference in the body/bill shape.

No kiddinG! I had several different brands redone with custom paint jobs, and now I can't tell which is which brand!
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: KVD - 05/14/16 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: JD/76708
He's put himself in position to do so....the 'ol saying applies: "you can't win it on day 1, but...."

He keeps catching 8 lbers....and it might be over .....Chris Lane (and Hank Cherry for that matter) is gonna hang around and make him earn it tho..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum