Texas Fishing Forum

Possum Kingdom Vegetation

Posted By: Bonedoc

Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/09/16 11:21 PM

What type of submergent vegetation does PK have? Any shallow water vegetation?
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/09/16 11:40 PM

Hydrilla beds big ones
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/09/16 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
Hydrilla beds big ones

roflmao
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/10/16 12:09 AM

That ain't hydrilla, thats moss. It's everywhere around the shallow side of the lake channel in 2-4ft of water
Posted By: 9094

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/10/16 01:20 AM

Mostly it is slimy algae. Some of the real stringy grass in some of the clear coves down by the dam. This is the first time I have ever seen that much vegetation in the water at PK. I'll bet in a month or so fish will be in it and a frog will work.

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/10/16 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Clark3
That ain't hydrilla, thats moss. It's everywhere around the shallow side of the lake channel in 2-4ft of water

It's hydrilla, cause you ain't found it doesn't mean it's not there

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/10/16 02:00 AM

Appreciate the replies. I was up there a few weeks back for my first trip but did not see any moss or any type of grass.
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/10/16 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Bonedoc
Appreciate the replies. I was up there a few weeks back for my first trip but did not see any moss or any type of grass.

And you won't! Moss has been a good problem for a couple years. If your looking for hydrilla, duckweed or anything other than what was covered when the lake came up you sol. I remember back in the 90's some duckweed and other types of grass.
Posted By: Pk Lake

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/10/16 05:41 AM

There is no Hydrilla on Pk!

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/10/16 12:41 PM

thumb Ten four PK Lake and Chris Borden.
Posted By: Dr. Chase

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/10/16 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
Originally Posted By: Clark3

It's hydrilla, cause you ain't found it doesn't mean it's not there

It's growing over the boat ramps at Squaw Creek. Word is, its making everyone take 3 times longer to get launched.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/10/16 01:45 PM

In spite of all the hydrilla taking over Squaw I'm still launching alone. I refuse to succumb to peer pressure. 😀 PK used to have huge beds of hydrilla....in the 80's.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/10/16 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
In spite of all the hydrilla taking over Squaw I'm still launching alone. I refuse to succumb to peer pressure. 😀 PK used to have huge beds of hydrilla....in the 80's.

Look at it this way, you can dump your boat and the hydrilla will hold it right next to the ramp
Posted By: trickworm50

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/10/16 02:18 PM

I fished Squaw last Friday, launched alone quickly with no problem and caught plenty of bass on carolina rig in 20 ft of water and 83 degree water temp
Posted By: Dr. Chase

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/10/16 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: UTDmiller
Originally Posted By: 361V

Look at it this way, you can dump your boat and the hydrilla will hold it right next to the ramp

right?! LOL roflmao
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/10/16 04:03 PM

Salt cedar west of hog bend..........
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/10/16 07:34 PM

Hydrilla will not grow in PK because of the salt content.A few years ago there was some type of grass that would grow a foot or so off of the bottom, we called it skunk grass because you could mash it and it had a slight skunk smell. Hydrilla would be great but it's not gonna happen. fish
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/10/16 09:15 PM

I've fished it for fifty years and never seen any grass.
Outside of the reed beds on the North side of Costello, it's just about all rock fishing. In time, those reeds will come back.
Game Warden told me a long time ago that the high saline content keeps the grass out.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/10/16 09:22 PM

Apparently someone posted above there's hydrilla on the lake, even though the PH levels of PK are well outside of the viable limit for hydrilla. It must be where the unicorns have been drinking, I've yet to find them

Re: Possum Kingdom Vegetation - 05/11/16 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: trickworm50
I fished Squaw last Friday, launched alone quickly with no problem and caught plenty of bass on carolina rig in 20 ft of water and 83 degree water temp

I'm glad you folks are keeping speed at the ramps top of mind. It's the right thing to do.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum