Texas Fishing Forum

Flood stage lake technique

Posted By: windfarm1

Flood stage lake technique - 05/07/16 04:10 AM

When your lake is at full pool or going over the spillway what are your go to techniques this time of year? I have lots of flooded brush and new growth and couldn't get a bite in it with several techniques today. Went out to the old bank line and tried and still nothing. How long does it take for a lake to get right after it fills up. It's been a month and I can't seem to locate what these fish are relating to.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Flood stage lake technique - 05/07/16 06:10 AM

Originally Posted By: windfarm1
When your lake is at full pool or going over the spillway what are your go to techniques this time of year? I have lots of flooded brush and new growth and couldn't get a bite in it with several techniques today. Went out to the old bank line and tried and still nothing. How long does it take for a lake to get right after it fills up. It's been a month and I can't seem to locate what these fish are relating to.

I take a big jig, black and blue and pitch it into the middle of any flooded secondary growth. Ill try different types of cover to see if I can find what they want. Generally I try to stay away from anything still green, but I have caught them in that stuff. If you're not getting hung up some you're not getting deep enough to the cover.

This caught me 10 lbs on 3 fish last weekends PK tournamnet. Bite was real subtle. I caught 20-25 doing that and lost more. I was in chocolate milk water most of the day too
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Flood stage lake technique - 05/07/16 09:07 AM

Missile Mini Flip Jig

In cases where the water is really high and there's newly flooded vegetation, I like to flip a small, compact jig in there. A lot of times those bass can be overwhelmed by the cover, so finding the right trees or bushes is key. I like this jig because it offers a small profile but you can still get in a 3/8 or 1/2 ounce size. The head a good paint job and the hook is sharp. I 'like to match it with a Zoom Speed Craw.
Posted By: dimitri

Re: Flood stage lake technique - 05/07/16 03:53 PM

if theres newly flooded cover they will more than likely be in it sooner than later. you have to detrrmine which type they are relating to, and which locations to establish a pattern.
Posted By: fisherman2012

Re: Flood stage lake technique - 05/08/16 12:21 AM

What lake are I talking about
Posted By: fisherman2012

Re: Flood stage lake technique - 05/08/16 12:21 AM

What lake are u talking about I meant
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Flood stage lake technique - 05/08/16 05:41 AM

Flip,flip,flip, then flip some more maybe throw a spinerbait up in there a little
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum