Texas Fishing Forum

Eagle Mountain

Posted By: FlaNative

Eagle Mountain - 05/05/16 09:06 PM

I'm assuming it's still open, but how is Eagle Mountain looking this week? Any clear water in the south end?
Posted By: E-bright

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/05/16 10:12 PM

I lost a 7+ yesterday at the boat on a c-rig.
Posted By: carlots

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/05/16 10:27 PM

5-5-16 went from 9-2pm today. caught 4 fish 3 keepers I dink. largest was 2.9. 1 on a jig other three on a spinnerbait. shallow was the name of the game. good luck.
Posted By: FewJr

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/05/16 10:47 PM

Going tomorrow, so what is clarity, last went about a month ago and water was muddy north or south.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/05/16 11:22 PM

The south end looks to me like it's turning over.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/06/16 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead
have you been on any big fish?
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/06/16 01:22 AM

3-5's has been the average nothing any bigger since about 4wks ago
Posted By: Deerhunter8

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/06/16 03:27 AM

Heading to the lake in the morning hope it's a good day!
New boat for me since I sold my old ranger
Posted By: Hittmanfish

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/06/16 03:55 AM

I'll be out there too in the morning. We'll be in my buddy's 92 ranger, it's red and grey. Drop by and say hi if you see us.
Posted By: toofy

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/06/16 04:55 AM

I'll be out there tomorrow (Friday) afternoon from about 2 to 5. White Ranger with blue trim. Fat dude sitting on the bow untangling a bird's nest....
Posted By: KickerFish29

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/06/16 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: toofy
I'll be out there tomorrow (Friday) afternoon from about 2 to 5. White Ranger with blue trim. Fat dude sitting on the bow untangling a bird's nest....

roflmao
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/06/16 11:58 AM

thought he was describing me but, no Ranger. Fat old guy in a Stratos maybe... bang
God Bless
Originally Posted By: KickerFish29

roflmao

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/06/16 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
thought he was describing me but, no Ranger. Fat old guy in a Stratos maybe... bang
God Bless
Originally Posted By: KickerFish29

roflmao

Where have you been hiding?
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/06/16 03:47 PM

That's hilarious.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/06/16 10:25 PM

Well I got a couple of bites on a green pumpkin worm but no catches. Then I snagged a little bluegill in the belly with a chatterbait. I felt kinda bad for him. I saw several BIG fish right off the banks really shallow sniffing the vegatation. One of them had the top of his tail sticking out of the water fanning around slowly. I couldn't tell what kind of fish they were. I got no bites on spinnerbait, squarebill, rattle trap, or jerkbait. But then again, I don't really know what I'm doing but it's lots of fun. I was in the cove on the east side of the lake directly east of that big point where the Fort Worth Boat Club is.

I'll be out again tomorrow (Saturday) morning from 6 to 11 then Sunday afternoon. Somebody holler at me if you see me and tell me what I'm doing wrong. hammer
Posted By: FewJr

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/06/16 10:38 PM

That would be carp. Saw them everywhere.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/06/16 11:37 PM

I'll be out tomorrow too, blue skeeter
Posted By: G Rod

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/06/16 11:57 PM

1.5 chartreuse black back square bill on secondary points. Several 2s, a couple of 3s and one just under 7.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/07/16 12:10 AM

We only caught 2 dinks this morning... we fished over by Harbour Point most of the morning. The shad were spawning like crazy, but no bites on our crank baits/spinner baits/flukes. I got a lot of bites on my watermelon red baby brush hog... but they were all small bites (possibly males guarding their fry... since I saw quite a bit of that shallow).

There were a ton of carp up shallow, which could have contributed to the slow bite.

We pretty much just beat the bank the whole day, since this was our first time on the lake and don't have much experience fishing deeper.

Hopefully we get on them next time, but it sure was nice out there today.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/07/16 02:43 AM

Couple dinks from 8-12.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/07/16 03:02 AM

G ROD our basscat white and red?
Posted By: Texas Husker

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/07/16 03:03 AM

On the S end, yesterday Big Carter looked like motor oil. Today it is starting to settle out a little bit and the water looks better.

If you are fishing south early in the morning, don't run over me in my trusty Pelican 10 footer.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/07/16 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Husker
On the S end, yesterday Big Carter looked like motor oil. Today it is starting to settle out a little bit and the water looks better.

If you are fishing south early in the morning, don't run over me in my trusty Pelican 10 footer.

The water was kinda dirty for me today too.
I'm heading to the lake at 6am Saturday morning. Should be getting some daylight by then. I've got new Humminbird graphs I'm trying to learn so I'll probably be fiddling with them. I've had them for a few weeks and I always say I'm gonna take the time to play with the settings to learn more but I've got a rod in my hand so I always end up just fishing and seeing what the default settings tell me.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/07/16 01:01 PM

Good luck 'Toofy'...congrats on the new graphs.
Let us know if things have picked up.... I sure hope
God Bless
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/07/16 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead

The lakes around here only turn over in the fall. All the lakes should be starting to stratify with cooler water on bottom and warmer on top. The Oxygen levels are also dropping in the deeper water (thermocline is getting ready to form in the next few weeks).
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/07/16 07:21 PM

Three little ones for me.
Posted By: Jobooo

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/07/16 07:33 PM

Caught 5 total in a 2 1/2 hours until my cranking battery bit the dusk. Looked and saw it lasted 5 years. Biggest bass was 3.5lbs on crank. Other on craws.
Posted By: Skeet...Skeeter

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/08/16 02:25 PM

anyone care to share some pointers on this lake? I am heading there in a week for 3 days I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/08/16 04:07 PM

Small fish are shallow and around docks. Im finding bigger fish deep

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/08/16 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: texas_lunkers
Small fish are shallow and around docks. Im finding bigger fish deep

I'm there right now taking a break. Were you there this morning? I think I saw your boat coming into the cove
where I was then you turned away at the last minute. I promise to wear deodorant next time. lizard

I got a couple 1 pound largemouths off some docks on a white crank bait.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/09/16 01:41 AM

I was out there yesterday and today. Yesterday the cops came by the cove where I was fishing. I hid my stash and took a photo:

I caught one fish yesterday on a white crank bait and that was all I got. It's probably small by you guys' standards but I was happy to get it:

Posted By: G Rod

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/09/16 01:41 AM

Basscat is red with black boot and stripes.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/09/16 01:51 AM

Caught a few on Friday but nothing bigger than about 1.5#. Very slow bite and the water looked pretty strange. Found some fairly clear water in Carter but otherwise it was pretty milky, more so as we went farther north. If we can avoid heavy rains for a couple weeks maybe the lake will produce like it should. Looking forward to it!

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/09/16 02:18 AM

I was out there most of the day today. Water got really rough and windy this afternoon. Got a couple of bass around docks. Took my 10yo out with me who hasn't caught a fish yet on the boat since I just got it a couple months ago. I felt a fish on my hook and pulled to set the hook. He didn't see it so I said "hey hold my rod for a minute while I check something" and he reeled it in.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/09/16 02:49 AM

I was out there most of the day today. Water got really rough and windy this afternoon. Got a couple of bass around docks. Took my 10yo out with me who hasn't caught a fish yet on the boat since I just got it a couple months ago. I felt a fish on my hook and pulled to set the hook. He didn't see it so I said "hey hold my rod for a minute while I check something" and he reeled it in.

Good job dad

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/09/16 03:47 AM

Caught 5 srom 2:00-7:30. 2 dinks on docks and 3 keepers on a flat with squarebill. My ranger is gold with a black underbelly. Another gentleman has the same but all gold underbelly

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/09/16 11:51 AM

With the new 'added' rainfall, gonna get tough again. Muddy....we can't seem to catch a break here
at least the lake is not low anymore.... roflmao

God Bless

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/09/16 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
With the new 'added' rainfall, gonna get tough again. Muddy....we can't seem to catch a break here
at least the lake is not low anymore.... roflmao

God Bless

Seems like it's one extreme or the other!
Posted By: Texas Husker

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/09/16 03:08 PM

I've got 4 spots on the S end that have consistently produced a lot of fish for me over the years. I've hit all 4 of these the last 3 times I've been out and have yanked out 2 little l lb. fish. EM is fishing tougher than tough right now.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/09/16 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Husker
I've got 4 spots on the S end that have consistently produced a lot of fish for me over the years. I've hit all 4 of these the last 3 times I've been out and have yanked out 2 little l lb. fish. EM is fishing tougher than tough right now.

Man that is great to know lol
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/10/16 01:09 AM

Had a great day, made a post about it.

Fished the north side of the lake, visibility was less than 7-8". They were holding tight to cover. Flipped docks I know have brush on them as well as Lay downs and the flooded secondary cover in 1-4 fow with a black and blue pacemaker flipping jig. Bloated 18 fish, average size was 13-15" a few smaller one 18"er. The key was getting right into the cover for a bite.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/10/16 03:51 AM

Oh man I KNEW I should have gone out for a couple hours today after work. Great catch and good info.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/13/16 03:20 AM

I was out from 4 to 7pm today. Caught a couple 1 pound largemouths on a white crankbait and another little one on a dark blue worm T-rigged off a wall on the shoreline. Water was really calm and nice today. I'm planning on going back out tomorrow afternoon.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/13/16 08:50 AM

Should get better and better, well once the dang weather settles down some. Rain is ok but, no more downpours please.
It's my 'home lake'....being close so, really looking forward to better conditions (specifically water clarity) ....and roflmao fewer 'jet fleas'

God Bless

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/16/16 04:25 AM

I was on Eagle Mountain today and found myself in a quiet cove with shad running all around me. I threw shad colored crankbaits, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and my whole tackle box but didn't get any bites in all those shad. What would you guys do in that situation?

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/16/16 12:16 PM

I was on Eagle Mountain today and found myself in a quiet cove with shad running all around me. I threw shad colored crankbaits, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and my whole tackle box but didn't get any bites in all those shad. What would you guys do in that situation?

Right now the bigger fish have moved off to about 8-12 foot, even some in 15/17 foot. When you find those areas and you're not getting bit, just move a little deeper. I sat in the mouth of lake view Marina levy and caught a quick 5 keepers, and another 4-5 smaller fish on a 6xd. I saw a ton of shad around the rock levy and threw everything I had and couldn't get bit, was headed out and chunked that xd and they were there. After about 45 mins not another fish

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/16/16 12:39 PM

You guys were not kidding on fishing being tough. We tossed everything in the boat at them from 5am to 11pm this weekend. Was finally able to put this young man on a few bass “His first ever” and he is looking forward to our next fishing trip. In 3 days we only put 9 bass in the boat with noting over 3lbs.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/16/16 12:59 PM

Good on you for hanging in there and putting the youngster on his first bass! He knows now that it won't always be easy...

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/16/16 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: skeet...Skeeter
You guys were not kidding on fishing being tough. We tossed everything in the boat at them from 5am to 11pm this weekend. Was finally able to put this young man on a few bass “His first ever” and he is looking forward to our next fishing trip. In 3 days we only put 9 bass in the boat with noting over 3lbs.

That's what it's all about. My son is 3.5 now and loves to go, I think I can finally bring him in the boat for a while. Catching fish or not, that time is priceless, no better feeling.

Re: Eagle Mountain - 05/16/16 07:55 PM

It was a great trip and I think we are both counting down the days till the next.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum