Texas Fishing Forum

punching braid?

Posted By: centexbassboy

punching braid? - 05/05/16 04:29 PM

What brand of braid should i buy to punch thick hydrilla. Remember this is hydrilla under the water not hydrilla mats. And what pound test of braid should i use?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: punching braid? - 05/05/16 04:30 PM

I use 55-70lb Daiwa Samurai

Re: punching braid? - 05/05/16 04:31 PM

Can you still cast far with the 70lb braid?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: punching braid? - 05/05/16 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: centexbassboy
Can you still cast far with the 70lb braid?

Yes it casts just fine but if you are truly punching then you are not casting far at all. I choose line size based on the rod specs, the amount of grass/cover, the size of weight/bait and the size of fish I am expecting.

Re: punching braid? - 05/05/16 04:38 PM

Okay. Well i fish a pond with very thick hydrilla.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: punching braid? - 05/05/16 04:46 PM

centex, are you just coincidentally using the word "punching" because you want to have line strong enough to fish where there is hydrilla, or because you are going to be using the "punching" technique?

"Punching" is a specialty technique done with a very heavy/stiff rod that is really a derivative of flipping: there are no overhand casts with the rod, so the line diameter doesn't come into play like it would for traditional casting of a texas rigged worm for instance. The answers you are getting are for this technique because of the use of "punching".
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: punching braid? - 05/05/16 04:49 PM

Never had an issue with 65 lb power pro
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: punching braid? - 05/05/16 05:19 PM

Power Pro Super Slick

My favorite braided line is the Super Slick. This line is very rounded so it casts further, easier. It goes through your guides very well and it doesn't make a lot of noise. This line is also super strong and very impact resistant. It's the best braided line on the market if you ask me.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: punching braid? - 05/05/16 07:06 PM

I like Super Slick 8 also. Since it is woven with 8 fibers instead of 4, it doesn't flatten out and catch the wind as bad. Also agree on less guide noise. I've switched to it for all casting, still using up the regular on pitch and flip rigs.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: punching braid? - 05/06/16 12:15 AM

For what you said 25lb flouro.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: punching braid? - 05/06/16 12:40 AM

What color Super Slick do you guys use and what test? What knot do you use ? I typically use a palomar knot, will that work on Super Slick ? Thanks
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: punching braid? - 05/06/16 12:51 AM

Just send your loop end Iof the Palomar through the hook eye twice.
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: punching braid? - 05/06/16 03:42 PM

What brand of braid should i buy to punch thick hydrilla. Remember this is hydrilla under the water not hydrilla mats. And what pound test of braid should i use?

Suffic 832 65lb. Doesn't matter if it's matted or under the water.

Re: punching braid? - 05/06/16 04:25 PM

I used the term "punching" because i really dont know what to call it. I am throwing from the bank about 25-30 yards out and the hydrilla comes all the way up to about a foot below the surface. And the hydrilla is very thick. And these fish are out in the hydrilla and i dont know wether i should use a very heavy weight and get the bait in the hydrilla or just use a very light weight and drag it on top of the hydrilla.
Posted By: duckkiller72

Re: punching braid? - 05/06/16 04:45 PM

X's 10
Posted By: duckkiller72

Re: punching braid? - 05/06/16 04:46 PM

X's10 power pro 65lb
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: punching braid? - 05/06/16 06:09 PM

Depends on whether the fish on on top of the grass or under it.
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: punching braid? - 05/06/16 06:14 PM

I used the term "punching" because i really dont know what to call it. I am throwing from the bank about 25-30 yards out and the hydrilla comes all the way up to about a foot below the surface. And the hydrilla is very thick. And these fish are out in the hydrilla and i dont know wether i should use a very heavy weight and get the bait in the hydrilla or just use a very light weight and drag it on top of the hydrilla.

Suffix832 casts better. 65lb braid, heavy action rod, 1-1/4 ounce Sniper Jig with Reactions Innovations Beaver. That's all you need to put a hurting on them. Hop the bait.

https://m.facebook.com/Hi-Yah-BAIT-CO-205876213100659/
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: punching braid? - 05/06/16 06:14 PM

I will try over the top first with multiple different lures. Fluke, senko, spinner bait, chatter bait, etc. If that doesn't bring them up, I'll try to drag my spinner bait through the grass as slow as I can and jerk it free of the grass if it gets hung up. If that's not working, I'll go through it with the lightest weight I can get away with.

If I'm fishing hydrilla, I have confidence the fish are there, just have to figure out what will trigger the bite.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: punching braid? - 05/06/16 10:17 PM

Throw a Booyah frog over the top and let them come up and get it.

Re: punching braid? - 05/07/16 03:14 AM

Thanks guys for the advice and tips! Tightlines to yall!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum