Texas Fishing Forum

Skeeter vs Legend (It's Skeeter Now) with Photo Pg5

Posted By: JC Skeeter

Skeeter vs Legend (It's Skeeter Now) with Photo Pg5 - 05/02/16 04:14 PM

I am in the market to purchase a new boat, my first bass boat. I have narrowed the list down to these 2 boats. I am lucky enough to be able to get what I want, so I wanted to ask you guys to please provide feedback/comments.

I have tried to search the forum but didn't find anything. I understand that some may be loyal to one brand or the other, but I am just looking for pros/cons, if any, between the two brands. From what I can tell, they are both great boats.

That being said, if they are fully decked out with all the bells and whistles, which would you choose? Also, which is faster? The Legend will come with a 250 Merc, and Skeeter a 250 Yamaha.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 04:18 PM

Neither
Posted By: James P.

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 04:25 PM

^^ +100
Posted By: John P085

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
Neither
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 04:30 PM

Even though he clearly states it is between those two brands people cant help but be biased to their brand. I have ridden and fished out of both, and both are good boats. I dont think you can go wrong with either one, as for speed i think they can hit similar numbers so there isnt much difference there. I would say choose the storage layout that you prefer the most.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 04:33 PM

Legend for me

I like the ride better
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 04:37 PM

My last five boats have been Skeeters. I'm in a FX21, right now. I've ridden in and driven all makes/models and the Skeeters suit me best. Legends are great boats and the finish in their storage compartments is one of the best on the market. That said, if you're going to buy a new boat, look at resale on similar size/h.p./options of boats from other manufacturers.
Posted By: Phnx#22

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 04:38 PM

The ride is better on the Legend. Skeeters have one of the best fishing platforms ever.

I like the layout of the Skeeter better.
Posted By: Swimbaiter

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 04:39 PM

Currently I have a Skeeter right now, but I love how you can customize a legend in anyway you want as far as color. I have messed around with their tool on their website and built what I would like to think would be my next boat. I have no complaints about my Skeeter and Yamaha tho.
Posted By: Chuck A

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 04:44 PM

I have a Skeeter and absolutely love it. The EZ Loader trailer it sits on not so much
Posted By: Phnx#22

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 04:59 PM

Good point Chuck and something I had forgotten about. The EZ loader trailer that was under my 07 ZX250 had to have the brake system completely redone twice. Replace one axle that failed just two years after purchase. Good boats, crappy trailers.

When I traded in my boat last December it had a different skeeter trailer 2010 model and its rear axle had failed as well.
Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 05:00 PM

Legend... No comparison!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 05:01 PM

Ford or Chevy?

They're different. Pick the one you like best.
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 05:12 PM

Something you may want to consider also, with a Legend you can get any engine you prefer, with a Skeeter it's Yamaha exclusively. If you highly dislike the SHO, you won't want a Skeeter.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 05:12 PM

FYI the Legends are on EZLoader trailers as well. The EZ loaders are built next door to them.
Posted By: jhall239

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 05:19 PM

Love my Skeeter but since they aren't building I class anymore...
If I were looking for another it would be between Skeeter, Legend and I'll toss in Phoenix as well
I'm lucky enough I suppose to have a dealer for all three reasonably close
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 05:19 PM

I have a Legend and am about to buy a new V20. I've been in several SKeeters and they are also great boats. In fact it's hard to go wrong with any of the "top end" boats. They all have things about them that can be viewed as both good and not so good. For me, I would make my decision based on the dealer I was going to buy it from. They will be the first point of contact on future service, potential warranty issues, etc. That is HUGE factor for me and another reason I am most likely always going to be in a Legend.

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: jhall239
Love my Skeeter but since they aren't building I class anymore...
If I were looking for another it would be between Skeeter, Legend and I'll toss in Phoenix as well
I'm lucky enough I suppose to have a dealer for all three reasonably close

Sure they are. It's called the FXi. FX cap on a iClass hull. But they may have only built them in 2015.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 05:36 PM

I own a legend and my nephew runs a skeeter so I've spent plenty of time in both of the boats in question.
I think Legend has better fit and finish by far. Ride goes to Legend.
My Legend fishes good, his Skeeter fishes great.
Speed is pretty close, neither one are in the class of a Cat but they'll both push 70+. Irony is that neither of us push our boats that hard anymore.
Storage space is relative. Both of us try to cull gear every year. How much [censored] do we really need to carry? I think his Bug wins this but barely.
You need to run them and make your own decision. Either way, you can't go wrong.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 05:37 PM

FXi 21
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 05:51 PM

I've ridden in plenty of both as a co. Legends have the better/smoother ride. Top end speeds all depend on how much they wanted to push em but have seen 70+ on both. The Skeeter seemed to have a better double console design(if your boat will have one).

If you can pick whichever you want then(like mentioned above) I'd take a good look at the customer service people at the dealer. Are they friendly, knowledgeable, can you see reviews for them online, etc.
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 05:57 PM

If I had to chose between the 2, it would be Legend, but it wouldn't be MY first choice.
Posted By: CB2011

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 05:58 PM

If I were you I would pick the legend. Especially since there's a brand new certificate in the boats for sale section at a pretty good discount and is upgradable if you want a larger boat

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
Neither

Ok, I appreciate your reply as well as others. I also respect all opinions given here in this forum and that is why I am taking the time to ask, on top of the research I have done online on my own.

Can you, or the others who have said neither, please give me more info as to why?

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter
I own a legend and my nephew runs a skeeter so I've spent plenty of time in both of the boats in question.
I think Legend has better fit and finish by far. Ride goes to Legend.
My Legend fishes good, his Skeeter fishes great.
Speed is pretty close, neither one are in the class of a Cat but they'll both push 70+. Irony is that neither of us push our boats that hard anymore.
Storage space is relative. Both of us try to cull gear every year. How much [censored] do we really need to carry? I think his Bug wins this but barely.
You need to run them and make your own decision. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Thank you a ton for the info and time you took to respond. I have ridden in a handful of each, but never drove either. I plan on doing that if I can before making a decision.

As for speed, anything between 65-70 is more than fine.

One thing I notice when looking online is that the Legends, such as the V20 and V21, have items listed such as a small dry storage at the front of the boat, and usb ports in multiple places. Do you possibly know if the Skeeter FX21 offers anything like that. Minor details, but would be good to know.
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 06:05 PM

Neither,Gamblermy choice

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 06:22 PM

Tons of great info, I really appreciate all of the reply's. In the end I will be making a choice that is best for me, but it never hurts to get others opinions.

I have rode in almost all boats, with the exception of a Phoenix. I will say that to date the fastest boat has been a Bass Cat, but as I said above, 65-70 is plenty and I assume most "top end" boats will do that. Most top end boats are all very nice boats as well.

I just simply have narrowed it down to the 2 that I like so far. I do like the Legend will let you customize the colors though. But I would also be getting the Black & Green limited edition Skeeter which has a nice color combo too.

I guess I am down to minor details such as customer service, little extras or gadgets that each boat has, etc.
Posted By: mitchmoore01

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 06:46 PM

I favor the skeeter, the decks on them are wider and the boat is a little more stable. The skeeter seems to be a better fishing platform. Speed is relatively similar, but most skeeters are around a mph slower than the legend.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 06:47 PM

Speaking for a 2013 Skeeter ZX20:

The number one thing I love about Skeeter's is that they are very "rookie friendly" and easy to drive. What I mean by that is, if you've never driven a bass boat and don't know about performance hulls and motor trim and all that stuff, then I suggest you learn how to drive with a Skeeter. They are perhaps one of the easiest boats to maneuver and drive at WOT. I have never dealt with any chine walking or porpoising and it's very responsive. Now, the majority of that has to do with your motor setup, jack plate, prop and trim. But it does have something to do with the style of boat. I like to compare the drive and handling of a Skeeter to a Lexus or BMW; easy to drive, plenty of power, luxurious, efficient and comfortable. You can say the same thing for Legend's and Ranger's as well. Whereas I compare such companies as BassCat, Bullet, or even a Triton, to a Camaro or Corvette; power, needs a little bit of drive time, but in the end, everything works out.

Note: Legends fall in to the category of easy to drive, plenty of power, efficient, and comfortable.

I love the storage on a Skeeter, the layout is unmatched, and when the trolling motor is down, there is arguably nothing comparable to it. I also like how the boat is roomy. I'm 6'3", 319 pounds and I feel very comfortable in my boat. Everything on a Skeeter is luxurious, user friendly and efficient. While these boats are user friendly and efficient, they offer plenty of power to make you feel a thrill. Myself alone, 1/2 tank of gas, empty live wells, and 2 Power Poles, I can hit 73.2MPH. Keep in mind that I'm also 319 pounds. The boat drafts relatively shallow, and it doesn't get blown around in the wind too bad.

Speaking for only the ZX20, the negative things are minimal but noticeable. The cooler isn't the best on the market, the hidden latches are an absolute pain for big hands and bad angles (you can't really open them from a sideways angle), and the ride isn't the greatest. Those are honestly the only negatives I can think about.

If I always have a Skeeter dealer around me, I won't ever switch.

There are guys that love Skeeter's and guys that hate Skeeter's, I for one love them.

As for Yamaha, I like em'. If not broke in properly they'll have a lot of problems (make sure you break it in properly!!!), it's easy to talk to your partner at speeds up to 40MPH, and they're very good at hole shots and torque with heavy loads. Pretty good gas mileage and they're very reliable as long as you break them in properly.

As for Legends, I've heard good things and bad things. First off, I don't know if there are any differences between a 2010 and 2016 other than appearances. So keep in mind that the newer Alpha's may have fixed a few of these things.

The number one good thing I hear about them is that they have a great ride; and they do, my buddy has a 2010 Alpha 199. The number one bad thing I've heard about them is that they have had problems with build quality. Several boats have had problems with the stringers.

Speaking purely for the 2010 Alpha 199. Pros: I love the ride, how easy it is to put it on the trailer, and the interior features. The ride on the Alpha series of boats is easily as good as a Champion! The control that this boat has at idle and low speeds is amazing. The interior is very classy and luxurious.

However, there are a few things that I don't like about the Alpha 199; keep in mind that if you get the Alpha 211R, there's virtually no difference in design and layout from the Alpha 199. Basically, the only difference is the length of the boat and there's a small storage compartment towards the bow of the boat.

The few things that I don't like on the Alpha boats are: seats (super uncomfortable and have horrible support), the width of the boat is fairly narrow and when the trolling motor is down, you're gonna be wishing you had a Skeeter. The rear storage compartments are somewhat small, they've had problems with the stringers in the past, slower top end, and if you're a big guy, the console area is slightly crowded.

There are things that I love and dislike about both boats. But in the end I love my Skeeter.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 06:56 PM

Both are GREAT boats, the only issue I have with Legend is how much "side to side" movement there is when fishing. The fishing platform on the Skeeter is as stable as it gets, I can stand next to the gunnel and it will hardly move... do that in a Legend and watch the whole boat lean that way, especially if both angler on the front and back are standing on the same side. If your not a big guy its probably not as big of a deal, honestly you cant go wrong with either boat.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13
Both are GREAT boats, the only issue I have with Legend is how much "side to side" movement there is when fishing. The fishing platform on the Skeeter is as stable as it gets, I can stand next to the gunnel and it will hardly move... do that in a Legend and watch the whole boat lean that way, especially if both angler on the front and back are standing on the same side. If your not a big guy its probably not as big of a deal, honestly you cant go wrong with either boat.

^^^^^ This, no offense to my buddy Gilroy grin

One of my best friends had a 21 foot Legend, pretty boat, except one thing to me, the storage sux'd.. If I had to pack in to his boat for a tournament I barely had room for my rain gear.. The layout is not my cup of tea after fishing in his.. I have a older Skeeter, a 2004 Zx225, I can pack more gear than 4 guys would need.. I used to give Randy a hard time about how bad the storage was, he knew it but loved the boat anyway... LOL.. each his own I guess....

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94

The number one thing I love about Skeeter's is that they are very "rookie friendly" and easy to drive. What I mean by that is, if you've never driven a bass boat and don't know about performance hulls and motor trim and all that stuff, then I suggest you learn how to drive with a Skeeter. They are perhaps one of the easiest boats to maneuver and drive at WOT. I have never dealt with any chine walking or porpoising and it's very responsive. Now, the majority of that has to do with your motor setup, jack plate, prop and trim. But it does have something to do with the style of boat. I like to compare the drive and handling of a Skeeter to a Lexus or BMW; easy to drive, plenty of power, luxurious, efficient and comfortable. You can say the same thing for Legend's and Ranger's as well. Whereas I compare such companies as BassCat, Bullet, or even a Triton, to a Camaro or Corvette; power, needs a little bit of drive time, but in the end, everything works out.

Note: Legends fall in to the category of easy to drive, plenty of power, efficient, and comfortable.

I love the storage on a Skeeter, the layout is unmatched, and when the trolling motor is down, there is arguably nothing comparable to it. I also like how the boat is roomy. I'm 6'3", 319 pounds and I feel very comfortable in my boat. Everything on a Skeeter is luxurious, user friendly and efficient. While these boats are user friendly and efficient, they offer plenty of power to make you feel a thrill. Myself alone, 1/2 tank of gas, empty live wells, and 2 Power Poles, I can hit 73.2MPH. Keep in mind that I'm also 319 pounds. The boat drafts relatively shallow, and it doesn't get blown around in the wind too bad.

Speaking for only the ZX20, the negative things are minimal but noticeable. The cooler isn't the best on the market, the hidden latches are an absolute pain for big hands and bad angles (you can't really open them from a sideways angle), and the ride isn't the greatest. Those are honestly the only negatives I can think about.

There are guys that love Skeeter's and guys that hate Skeeter's, I for one love them.

As for Yamaha, I like em'. If not broke in properly they'll have a lot of problems (make sure you break it in properly!!!), it's easy to talk to your partner at speeds up to 40MPH, and they're very good at hole shots and torque with heavy loads. Pretty good gas mileage and they're very reliable as long as you break them in properly.

As for Legends, I've heard good things and bad things. First off, I don't know if there are any differences between a 2010 and 2016 other than appearances. So keep in mind that the newer Alpha's may have fixed a few of these things.

The number one good thing I hear about them is that they have a great ride; and they do, my buddy has a 2010 Alpha 199. The number one bad thing I've heard about them is that they have had problems with build quality. Several boats have had problems with the stringers.

Speaking purely for the 2010 Alpha 199. Pros: I love the ride, how easy it is to put it on the trailer, and the interior features. The ride on the Alpha series of boats is easily as good as a Champion! The control that this boat has at idle and low speeds is amazing. The interior is very classy and luxurious.

However, there are a few things that I don't like about the Alpha 199; keep in mind that if you get the Alpha 211R, there's virtually no difference in design and layout from the Alpha 199. Basically, the only difference is the length of the boat and there's a small storage compartment towards the bow of the boat.

The few things that I don't like on the Alpha boats are: seats (super uncomfortable and have horrible support), the width of the boat is fairly narrow and when the trolling motor is down, you're gonna be wishing you had a Skeeter. The rear storage compartments are somewhat small, they've had problems with the stringers in the past, slower top end, and if you're a big guy, the console area is slightly crowded.

There are things that I love and dislike about both boats. But in the end I love my Skeeter.

You didn't have to take the time to write this but I most certainly appreciate it. It absolutely helps me more than you know. I tend to keep things a while and when making a big purchase decision like this I try and get what I like the first time and take care of it. So having this type of knowledge will help me make the best decision for me the first time.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 09:05 PM

angel
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 09:10 PM

On my second FX 21 and have no complaints. Have a buddy that owns a Legend and he likes it except when the wind is blowing...wet is what he tells me. Saw him at weigh in one day and he was soaked to the bone..doesnt happen in my FX. Both very nice boats though and lucky to have either!
Posted By: Clint A

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 09:40 PM

I'm on my second Skeeter and love it. I've had other brands as well and prefer the Skeeter. The older legends seemed to be fairly rocky when walking the platform. The newer versions are wider and pretty solid.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 09:56 PM

Ride-Legend
Fit and finish-Legend
Speed-toss up
Fish ability-skeeter
Stability-skeeter
Resale-skeeter
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 10:58 PM

I have own or fished out of both. I will go along with wouldn't be my first choice. I will give my opinion of the two you asked about. I think the Legend is first on fit and finish. I think when the trolling motor is down it would be a tie. The storage would depend on which boats of each brand you are looking at. The lay out would be personal preference because they both are nice boats on that. I think on ride it depends on which models you are talking about the ZX boats in Skeeter are faster but I am not impressed with their ride. The FX is not a fast boats but I thought they rode good when I was in them. I had a Iclass and was not impressed with it, but it was just a I20. I would get the FX21 if I where buying a Skeeter. The Legend 211 my buddy has is a nice boat and rides good. I think both are nice boats and you would be happy with either. The V series Legends have a huge front deck. They are so new I haven't seen a lot. I rode in a V-20 I will not comment on it because it was in the Legend tournament a few years back and it was a new boat and I really do not think it was set up right.

My first advice I would give you is ride and drive which ever models you would get down to. You will be paying a lot of money.

I guess you can tell by my handle which boat and model I would choose first. I ran Rangers and Phoenix has the best ride in my personal extremely bias opinion. LOL I will leave it at that because you asked about the other two. This was in respond to you asking why we would choose another brand. I wish you the best either way and Good Luck

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
Originally Posted By: buda13

^^^^^ This, no offense to my buddy Gilroy grin

One of my best friends had a 21 foot Legend, pretty boat, except one thing to me, the storage sux'd.. If I had to pack in to his boat for a tournament I barely had room for my rain gear.. The layout is not my cup of tea after fishing in his.. I have a older Skeeter, a 2004 Zx225, I can pack more gear than 4 guys would need.. I used to give Randy a hard time about how bad the storage was, he knew it but loved the boat anyway... LOL.. each his own I guess....

I have to agree on the 211 and older but I do not think you will have a problem in the new V series boats. You can pack a ton of stuff in just the front.
Posted By: ScottA

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 11:07 PM

All of the modern day bass boats are pretty dog gone good these days. I drive a Skeeter FX20. It's fast for me (75 GPS) and SUPER stable. No chine walking. It's a good old man boat for sure. I will say since I put on a set of 12' Talons slow cruising speed is a bit higher, anything slower than 33 GPS is wants to porpoise. Fishing platform is stable and spacious. And I LOVE the 250 SHO! Quiet and powerful. It's great being able to talk to your fishing budding while up on plane without having to scream. The motor is that quiet.
Posted By: borntofish1

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 11:26 PM

My Legend 411R has plenty of storage. Ride is awesome. Like driving a Cadillac and sports car hybrid!! Don't believe the "getting wet" more than other brands myth.

It was close for me as well when choosing. Legend hands down has better look and ride, plus you are unique...you are a Legend.

Ha!!
Posted By: skeeter james

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 11:27 PM

I had a 99 model Progator v 200 for 15 yrs and really liked the boat. Then I bought a new Skeeter FX21 2013 model. No power poles. But I'm amazed at how well this boat rides, drives, fishes. Best boat ever in my opinion !!!!
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/02/16 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: JasonC
Originally Posted By: bigbass94

You didn't have to take the time to write this but I most certainly appreciate it. It absolutely helps me more than you know. I tend to keep things a while and when making a big purchase decision like this I try and get what I like the first time and take care of it. So having this type of knowledge will help me make the best decision for me the first time.

It's no problem at all! I know it's a big purchase, and you're gonna want all of the info on both brands!

However, there are 2 things that I forgot to mention that a few other guys have. I just wanted to touch on it as well. The side to side movement of the Alpha series can be pretty bad. Maybe it's because I'm so used to the wide front deck of a Skeeter, but it's noticeable nonetheless. 99% of all anglers spend most of their fishing time with the trolling motor down. So in my opinion, you really need to consider how each boat will perform during that time, because that's where you'll be spending most of your time. At least, that's what I assume. When the trolling motor is down, it's windy, and the waves are big, a Skeeter will out-perform a Legend Alpha without a doubt. I have enough experience in both to say such a statement with confidence. Of course this is my opinion, but you'll notice that a lot of guys will say the same thing. If you get a V20 or V21, then the debate about fishing with the trolling motor down is a toss up between the Skeeter and V series; they're virtually the same width.

I also want to state that the Legend V 20 has had serious hole shot and planing problems. Some guys have been unable to even get on a plane, no matter what they do. Legend has stated that they have fixed the issue, but just be cautious.

Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/03/16 12:23 AM

I would have to go with the Skeeter, I think they are a better fishing platform, they look really good and they are made in Texas.
Posted By: bholladay

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/03/16 12:35 AM

I have had a Legend LE-21, I currently have a Alpha 211, and My V-20 will be ready next month. I fish out of a friends FX regularly while we are fishing tournaments and he fishes in mine. In my opinion the fit and finish of the Legends go well above and beyond Skeeter. My boat has held up better than the skeeter and they are the same year model. The ride in the FX is good but the Legend rides and drives great as well. At the end of the day both are good boats but I keep choosing the Legend. The only complaint I have with my 211 is the storage layout, and I think the V-20 will be much better.

I would talk to dealers and try and drive both boats if you can. If you happen to be near Lubbock send me a PM I'd be happy to take you out in my 211 or in my V-20 in a month or so.
Posted By: Beast From The East

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/03/16 12:47 AM

Ive fished in both and to compare the fishing platform of a skeeter to a V20 is just plain silly.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/03/16 01:20 AM

Skeeter for me-what other manufacture puts on the Best Tournament for their customers and where else can you go look for a floating rubber duck and win a $1300 trolling motor. Skeeter does appreciate their customers a lot and it shows.

Just Sayin'
Posted By: WmSmith

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/03/16 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Chuck A
I have a Skeeter and absolutely love it. The EZ Loader trailer it sits on not so much

+1. Trailers are less to be desired. Boats Rock!!!!
Posted By: bassfshin24

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/03/16 04:44 PM

I disagree with the Trailer statement. I have put more money into repairing my trailer than into my boat so having a good trailer is a huge bonus. You can't fish in your boat if your trailer can't get ya to the lake.

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/03/16 05:55 PM

Man I really appreciate all of the replies and responses, thank you guys. I have been saving for some time now and want to be sure this purchase best fits what I want to do, so having as much info as possible helps. I have been fishing as a co for the past few years so I have fished out of several brands. Tons of great boats out there, just not all of them are for me personally.

I have decided, based on the info and the deal I am able to get on the black and green fx21 LE I want, I am going to go with the Skeeter. I hope to be able to pick it up this weekend. Not that you guys can't look up the boat online but I will post a few photos once I have it. This is my first ever bass boat so I really looking forward to it.
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/03/16 06:00 PM

The owners tournament is in Texas. It has 1800 boats. I think Legend is on Kentucky and has 400 boats. I think Skeeter has a bigger community than Legend. Also, you can go to Kilgore, TX and tour the factory and see how they are built.

One new feature is that Skeeter now has a ventilation system in their storage, so if you put up wet equipment, it won't rust or mold (as easily). My family has had Skeeter a long time, I feel a part of family with them. I will always buy skeeter. I am sure Legend is great, but I know the Skeeter guys and gals, and I don't want to risk going to a company I don't know as well, and nothing bad about Skeeter to steer me away.
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/03/16 06:01 PM

Man I really appreciate all of the replies and responses, thank you guys. I have been saving for some time now and want to be sure this purchase best fits what I want to do, so having as much info as possible helps. I have been fishing as a co for the past few years so I have fished out of several brands. Tons of great boats out there, just not all of them are for me personally.

I have decided, based on the info and the deal I am able to get on the black and green fx21 LE I want, I am going to go with the Skeeter. I hope to be able to pick it up this weekend. Not that you guys can't look up the boat online but I will post a few photos once I have it. This is my first ever bass boat so I really looking forward to it.

Hope to see it out on Fork in June for the tourny.
Posted By: Chuck A

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/03/16 06:06 PM

Great choice. Welcome to the bug family
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/03/16 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuck A
Great choice. Welcome to the bug family

Absolutely thumb welcome to the family...
Posted By: Troutnout

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/03/16 09:18 PM

I went through the same issue in 2014. Legend or Skeeter. Ultimately I went with Skeeter. Legend has the best fit and finish in the business. Trailers are usually sweet looking as well. In the end I went with a Skeeter because of a few things. 1 was price. 2 was resale. 3 was fishing platform. Ive drove and ridden in Legends. Nothing wrong with them. I would get into both and fish them first before I made a decision. Plenty of folks on here will be more than happy to take you out. I will say this, Im a Mercury guy from way back. My last boat had a 250 Proxs.. But the SHO is a really good motor, great torque on the bottom and quiet as could be. But the Merc will get it on top end. My skeeter is 21 foot and will run 70 loaded, has seen 74 Light.
Posted By: Txhoghunter

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/03/16 11:06 PM

I went with a bug for all the reasons mentioned above. I think you'll be very happy with yours!
Posted By: EMMIT

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/03/16 11:27 PM

I have a 2013 fx21 and I absolutely love would not change a thing.
Posted By: Court

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/03/16 11:27 PM

I think you will be happy with your choice, I just put myself in this one and absolutely love it!
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/03/16 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Court

I think you will be happy with your choice, I just put myself in this one and absolutely love it!

That is a nice looking rig right there. thumb
Posted By: Joey Romano

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/04/16 12:16 AM

Skeeter
Posted By: CVANN7119

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/04/16 02:45 PM

Something else to keep in mind is that skeeter has the highest resale value out there period. That comes from how high quality they are made. Skeeter boats drive and handle with such ease my 6yr old can drive an FX 70MPH. Skeeters are so stable in the water a 300lb guy can go across the back while you are in the front and you never know it. With out a doubt the service department at Fun N Sun Boats is bar none. We take care of customers as if they were family not just a number at the big box stores. Give me a call and I can put you in a skeeter on the lake and go for a ride.

Thanks,
Chance Vann
Fun N Sun Boats Cleburne

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/04/16 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

I found out yesterday it just finished at the factory and I should have it next weekend. Have to drive to Oklahoma to get it but it's worth it. I do actually plan on fishing at fork. Where can I find info about the tournament?
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/04/16 05:51 PM

there will always be skeeters who knows about the other.
Posted By: scottsoutdoorworld

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/04/16 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

I found out yesterday it just finished at the factory and I should have it next weekend. Have to drive to Oklahoma to get it but it's worth it. I do actually plan on fishing at fork. Where can I find info about the tournament?

info is here but you better look for a place to stay first
http://www.skeeterboats.com/owners-tournament-registration
Posted By: Brad FNS

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/14/16 08:43 PM

Thank you Jason for giving us the opportunity to earn your business and we truly hope you enjoy your NEW 2016 Skeeter FX21 from Fun-N-Sun!!
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/14/16 09:29 PM

Congrats on the new ride. I like it.
Posted By: KB1953

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/14/16 11:19 PM

loco

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/16/16 02:59 PM

I want to give a special thanks to Brad, Barbara, and the rest of the Fun n Sun staff who helped answer all of the questions I had throughout the entire purchasing process, and making the purchase of my first boat as stress free as possible. I shopped around and I feel confident that I got the best deal possible on an amazing boat. I read all the time on here, even within this thread, that customer service should be a key factor in deciding where to buy from. I can't say enough about the service I was given before, during, and now after the purchase. I would highly recommend buying from Fun n Sun, or at a minimum giving them a chance at your business. I live in Houston and made the drive to Dallas because it was worth it, and I would do it again.

Thanks again to Fun n Sun and everyone else's feedback in this thread for all of your help. I am really looking forward to getting out on the water.

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/16/16 03:06 PM

I live in Houston and drove to FnS in Hurst to buy my FX, too! Great folks and you chose the right boat!
Posted By: Lewis Ville

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/16/16 03:15 PM

Congrats on the ride! Fun n Sun does so much for the local anglers. Great place to buy!

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/16/16 03:16 PM

That is a nice looking Skeeter. I like the lime green

Congrats on your new boat
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/16/16 03:23 PM

Skeeter. I've fished out of them all and skeeter rand ranger are my favs.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/16/16 03:25 PM

Nice ride - I would've gone with the Skeeter as well even thought it's a close call. Go catch some fish!
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/16/16 03:57 PM

I've had 2009 Skeeter and 2004 Legend. If your looking at the v20 or v21 then I wouldn't have that much opinion. If it's the 199 or the narrow Legend. then the front deck space is the issue for me. I could put 4 rods on each side without stepping on them. but the ride was wonderful. Skeeter, Have no complaints at all
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/16/16 04:26 PM

Wow, what a ride for your first boat. I'll be more than happy to jump in that thang and show you how to operate it, drive it, and fish out of it, and keep it shiny. You're gonna need some lessons. CONGRATULATIONS!! Beauty....

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/16/16 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
Wow, what a ride for your first boat. I'll be more than happy to jump in that thang and show you how to operate it, drive it, and fish out of it, and keep it shiny. You're gonna need some lessons. CONGRATULATIONS!! Beauty....

Thanks Okie, I am definitely not above or too proud to ask for help. I have been around boats my entire life, fished as well, but there are plenty of things I can and need to learn about a rig like this so if I am ever fishing in or near your area I will gladly let you show me some things that I need to know.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/16/16 06:13 PM

Congrats!!! That's a beautiful Bug.

Just don't take her to Palestine, she won't be that pretty any more LOL
Posted By: Amackmac

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/16/16 06:45 PM

Fishing platform skeeter
Ride legend

Nice bug and congrats
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/16/16 06:48 PM

Nice ride and congrats!.... I'd prefer black power poles though

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/17/16 12:08 AM

I am now offering free guide trips on fork...to jasonc
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/17/16 12:08 AM

I bought mine from them back in 2012. Nobody has ever worked on it except them. They do great work. I think you made a good choice being a Skeeter owner myself. There are just no bad boats out there(IMO)and it makes the decision difficult so it all comes down to what you get for the price you pay. Congrats on a nice bug.

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/17/16 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike_Soriano™
I am now offering free guide trips on fork...to jasonc

I haven't been to fork in 3 years, caught my personal best there on a guide trip. I think it's time I go back on my own and give it a shot. It would be nice to meet some of you guys that fish there we have a day out on the lake.

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/17/16 02:05 AM

Let us know if you come to fork..we will certainly recognize you in that BA rig!
Posted By: Patrick M

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/17/16 02:12 AM

I've owned 2 Skeeters, 300ZX and FX20. Both had better rides than the Legend LE21 and the Alpha 211. You'll get soaked in a Legend, or at least I have been, multiple times. However, the finish work on the Legends are extremely nice. I can also say the trailer under the Skeeter leaves much to be desired.

You'll love the Skeeter. But, honestly I think you would be happy with either.
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/17/16 04:02 AM

Congrats! Those colors are sick!!
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/17/16 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan

Ford or Chevy?

They're different. Pick the one you like best.

Posted By: mitchmoore01

Re: Skeeter vs Legend - 05/17/16 08:19 PM

Congrats on the boat! Good looking skeeter thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum