Texas Fishing Forum

Post Spawn Female Bass

Posted By: Bonedoc

Post Spawn Female Bass - 05/01/16 03:14 PM

Where do post spawn female bass go after they leave their beds. What techniques or baits do you have the most success on a tough post spawn bite? Most of the lakes I fish do not have any hydrilla or submerged grass, but do have some cattails.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Post Spawn Female Bass - 05/01/16 03:33 PM

Some move out and some stay shallow. Try wacky worms and flukes fished slow around spawning areas and cover
Posted By: Billy_Lawson

Re: Post Spawn Female Bass - 05/01/16 04:30 PM

With nothing besides a little shoreline vegetation I would look for deep structure, long slow tapering points being where I'd start. Keep in mind these big fish will get even deeper in post spawn mode than in summer once there is a thermocline. C rig, deep cranks are a great place to start if you find them grouped up offshore.

Re: Post Spawn Female Bass - 05/02/16 02:15 AM

Thank you for your responses and advice!
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Post Spawn Female Bass - 05/02/16 04:21 PM

They usually suspend over deeper water for a while and are hard to catch........
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Post Spawn Female Bass - 05/02/16 05:09 PM

Typically the biggest post spawn females are tired and sluggish, making them reclusive. They really don't want to spend any more energy than they have to. So putting the bait right in front of their faces is key. They're usually at the first deep water access that was near their spawning grounds. Those areas are secondary points, pre spawn bluff walls, humps, and basically anything that has deep water close by. Any place you caught pre spawn fish, you can usually catch post spawn fish there too. They follow the same routes.

Roboworm Alive Shad

I like to throw one these on a drop shot and just kinda drag it around. A drop shot allows you to keep your bait in the strike zone for a long time, which is what you want for those sluggish females. The Alive Shad mimics a shad, bass fry, or small bluegill very well. It floats and has lots of action, enticing even the peskiest bass.

Phenix Vibrator Jig Version III

If you really want those bigger bites, then I suggest you throw the Phenix Vibrator Jig Version III. Vibrating jigs are known for catching bigger fish than other baits. This is especially true throughout all stages of the spawn. The great thing about these jigs is that they're high quality and will stand up to rigorous abuse. Thread a super fluke on the back and you're ready to go!

Re: Post Spawn Female Bass - 05/03/16 12:32 AM

Thank you Bigbass94, I appreciate your advice!!
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: Post Spawn Female Bass - 05/03/16 02:22 AM

secondary and main lake points especially ones with docks, rocks, stumps, grass, and HAVE DEEP WATER ACCESS. you need to be throwing frog, spook, square bill, swim jig, and a fluke. keep mind that Post spawn for most lakes is only gonna be 70-75 degrees. most fish will move out to there early summer patterns shortly after the water gets to this temp. I like to go by what the water temp is at NIGHT or early morning not what the water temp is during high noon when the hot sun is beating down on the Surface of the water. Reading water temp at high noon will give you inaccurate readings of what the fish are doing.

Re: Post Spawn Female Bass - 05/03/16 09:43 AM

Thank you ChrisPowellFishing!! I have been trying to learn the transitional movements of bass throughout all stages of the spawn and understanding what they do with changing water conditions like we have had this spring with increased water levels and warmer water temps. Post spawn bass have been difficult for me in the past. I appreciate all the responses!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum