Texas Fishing Forum

Good topwater rod?

Posted By: Bassbruiser12

Good topwater rod? - 04/29/16 06:41 PM

Hey guys I'm looking at getting a new rod for topwater and not sure really what to get since I'm going back and forth between several. If anyone has had some good luck with a rod the love to fish topwater with let me know. I really appreciate it. Looking to spend in the 100-150 range. Thanks!
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Good topwater rod? - 04/29/16 07:15 PM

6.6m or 7.0m Daiwa airx....best topwater rod for the price 45.00. Moderate tip with plenty of back bone. Very light and balanced out.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Good topwater rod? - 04/29/16 07:16 PM

St Croix Premier MH 6-6 or 7ft.
$139 @ Cabellas
Excellent Top Water rod.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Good topwater rod? - 04/29/16 07:39 PM

castaway 6'6" M rod at academy - like $30-40
Posted By: FMJag64

Re: Good topwater rod? - 04/29/16 07:42 PM

Duckett Terex
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Good topwater rod? - 04/29/16 09:45 PM

Falcon Bucoo

Take a look at the Bucoo BMC-72MH. This rod is absolutely built for topwaters! It has the perfect amount of balance and sensitivity that you need in a topwater rod. It's super lightweight so you won't be beat up throw a heavy bait all day. I'm telling you, these rods are freakishly light! With a good tip and a solid backbone, you'll have nothing to worry about when topwater fishing.
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Good topwater rod? - 04/30/16 01:19 AM

I bought a falcon lowrider topwater special many years ago. bought another because a month later I liked it so much
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: Good topwater rod? - 04/30/16 03:05 AM

For walking Baits such as a Spook or StrikeKing sexy dawg, I like a Shorter glass rod 6' 6" Medium action/slow taper similar to a jerk bait rod; that way your rod tip doesn't hit the water as your walking along. also the Medium action has enough give to keep those treble hooks pined in his mouth while fighting and landing your bass!
Posted By: SIR-FISH-LOT

Re: Good topwater rod? - 04/30/16 04:18 PM

I have a Falcon Lowrider Salt 6'9 Light paired w/shimano core 50MG 7.0:1, likely some far. Also cast 1/4 yellow magic pretty good.
Posted By: "Old School"

Re: Good topwater rod? - 05/01/16 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94
Falcon Bucoo

Take a look at the Bucoo BMC-72MH. This rod is absolutely built for topwaters! It has the perfect amount of balance and sensitivity that you need in a topwater rod. It's super lightweight so you won't be beat up throw a heavy bait all day. I'm telling you, these rods are freakishly light! With a good tip and a solid backbone, you'll have nothing to worry about when topwater fishing.

+1 on this model of Falcon Bucco!!! I'm a bankfishing guy who uses the same rod for multiple types of lures. I use this rod also for shallow crankbaits, swim jigs, finesse worms, wacky rigs,1/4 oz liplessbaits and flukes. It's just a great rod!!!
Posted By: Puma Jim

Re: Good topwater rod? - 05/01/16 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: jippedgenes
I bought a falcon lowrider topwater special many years ago. bought another because a month later I liked it so much
love that rod and I too bought two of them. Can't believe they no longer make it. Makes a perfect Jerkbait rod too.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Good topwater rod? - 05/02/16 06:23 AM

I'll throw in a vote for the Dobyns 705CB Glass rod. I also use it to throw smaller cranks like squarebills, jerkbaits (suspending and floating) along with bladed baits on it. A medium action - 6'6 to 7' graphite rod built for topwaters are also good, but I prefer glass or a composite rod
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Good topwater rod? - 05/02/16 01:49 PM

I'll throw a yellow magic on a medium 7'3". But for my spooks and other walkers I like a 7'6" heavy. That's just me tho.
Posted By: BVF_LoP_Guide

Re: Good topwater rod? - 05/03/16 01:37 AM

Impulse rods Zell Rowland signature series top water
Posted By: mitchmoore01

Re: Good topwater rod? - 05/03/16 03:38 PM

I like the shimano rods for top waters, specifically the ones that are 6'8" medium action with a fast tip, not an extra fast tip.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum