Texas Fishing Forum

1st Trip to Cedar Creek

Posted By: HawgWrangler

1st Trip to Cedar Creek - 04/27/16 12:55 AM

Headed to Cedar Creek this Thursday for the first time. I couldn't find a paper map but have been studying using Google Earth.

Some of what I have read indicates there should be clearer water and grass near the dam end of the lake.

Anyone have any tips and know what the water temp has been like? What about spawn stage status?

Thanks!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: 1st Trip to Cedar Creek - 04/27/16 01:00 AM

I think clearer water and grass are tough to find on cedar Creek...
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: 1st Trip to Cedar Creek - 04/27/16 01:29 AM

I fished all over the south end of the lake last Friday and Saturday and did not see any clear water or grass to speak of.
I caught two 12 in fish in two days.
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: 1st Trip to Cedar Creek - 04/27/16 10:44 AM

the entire lake is dirty, You will find clearer water on main lake and sure around the dam in deeper water. As far as getting information, Bass Champs is there this weekend so everyone is tight lipped.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: 1st Trip to Cedar Creek - 04/27/16 10:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Danny L. Weems
I fished all over the south end of the lake last Friday and Saturday and did not see any clear water or grass to speak of.
I caught two 12 in fish in two days.

That's not fun....
Posted By: RoadRunnerTR21

Re: 1st Trip to Cedar Creek - 04/27/16 11:48 AM

The water temps have been in the 70's and the fish are mostly post spawn. The primary structure most people fish are docks. Last Saturday morning a neighbor and I went out for 2.5 hours and caught 6 bass. The fish were caught in 5 to 8 fow using worms and lizards. It will not be as easy to catch fish like during a summer pattern. Good luck!
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: 1st Trip to Cedar Creek - 04/27/16 01:09 PM

Flip the edges of the matted stuff you find all over the lake. Water color doesn't matter. Blk/Blue jig with watermelon rage craw. That will do the trick for you.
Posted By: bayesj

Re: 1st Trip to Cedar Creek - 04/27/16 05:45 PM

I fished there last Saturday for about 6 hours, hooked 2 in less than a foot of water, both threw my jig on jumps halfway to the boat. They were both less than 2 labs.
Posted By: HawgWrangler

Re: 1st Trip to Cedar Creek - 05/04/16 01:53 AM

Thanks for the info guys. The fishing was tough. I caught only one fish, about an 19" on a crankbait. I had one other bite on a jig but I was too slow on the hook set.

I saw where the Bass Champs fished pretty tough for two-thirds of the field but still took 19+ to win. Same for the Texas BASS NE Region on Sunday as well.

Hopefully the fishing improves as the lake levels come back to normal as the summer moves in. Its just so unpredictable right now with the water levels up higher than they've been in a decade.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum