Texas Fishing Forum

Holiday fishing

Posted By: Wanna Be Profi

Holiday fishing - 04/26/16 02:08 PM

Hi guys
My name is Stijn Lens im 18 years and im addicted to bass fishing.
In August i had like to go to America for improve my bass fishing skills.
There is just 1 big problem i dont have a boat and i dont know a cheap place where i can stay.
Can you guys help me?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/26/16 03:21 PM

We need your information to help you.
- How long are you staying?
- What country are you coming from?
- You willing to work and fish for room and board?
- You have other things you have to do here?
- Can you give this 100% everyday?

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/26/16 06:33 PM

Sure I want to stay minimum 2 weeks max 1 month.
Im comming from Belgium.
And sure im willing to work and fish for room and board? but it depends what kind of work.
I also even want to pay but i want to reduce the costs.
I just want to visit America for bass fishing.
Every holliday me and my dad went to spain to catch black bass, pike and zander.
I already have a lot of fishing experience and i know a lot of different techniques.
And like my name says my dream is to become a professional angler but it is very difficult to realize this as a stranger from an other country. First i want to approve my fishing skills.
If you want more information just ask.
Already thanks for replying and willing to help smile people like you give me hope

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/26/16 07:55 PM

Alright guys; here is a young man from another country wanting to come to Texas and get as much experience as we can give him. I need your help to make this happen and am willing to be his mentor.

- If any of you know one of the resorts that could use some summer help this would give him some experience around one of the lakes.
- I will do all the leg work in working this out with the resort.
- I will be available to pick him up at the airport and get him to this location.
- I will be there to make sure things are working out and he is doing a good job.
- I will see that he gets as much fishing in as possible.
- I will make arrangements for a guide to take him out for a day on the water which will be his best experience and take care of this expense.

Any other help and/or suggestions that you guys here on the TFF can give would be appreciated. This is a great opportunity to Pay It Forward.
Posted By: Lucky Al

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/27/16 01:23 AM

Stijn:
Are you the young man on facebook who attended
Immaculata Instituut Oostmalle?
Posted By: Lucky Al

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/27/16 01:23 AM

That's very good of you Donald!
Posted By: Preacher Ed

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/27/16 01:33 AM

That is very kind of you, Mr. Harper. Does anyone know if the story of Takahiro Omori is in print anywhere? Isn't he the one who lived out of the small travel trailer on Fork when he first came to the US? I know this is some different, but it might be encouraging to this young man to read and know that it is possible to make his dream come true.
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/27/16 02:21 AM

I'm no guide, but I can take him out for a day or two, just let me know if that would help, one day on fork and then maybe lake of the pines

Just let me know if I can help
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/27/16 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Lucky Al
Stijn:

I would assume so--there's a picture of him holding a bass, and one of the pictures mentions something about Spain...

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/27/16 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: jbcarroll3000
Originally Posted By: Lucky Al
Stijn:

I would assume so--there's a picture of him holding a bass, and one of the pictures mentions something about Spain...

I tried to look it up. My computer want translate; so is this a good thing or a bad thing? I don't do Facebook.

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/27/16 01:53 PM

Thats right guys im Stijn Lens that studys on immaculata institute.
My profile pic at the moment is with wine on the background , i dont share a lot of fishing photo`s on social media.
But i will try to post any pictures later today.
Maybe you guys can add me on FB this is easier for me to react _> Stijn Lens.
Already thanks for the positive reactions.
Maybe later on we can skype or something.
My dad talks beter english then me and he also want to know where i gone stay.

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/27/16 02:22 PM

Tell Dad this is not something that will happen quickly. It will take many people working together to make this happen. Let's see how much help and suggestions other fisherman can give then we will develop a plan.

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/27/16 05:31 PM

Donald we realise it will be very difficult and take a lot of time but for me is your response a kind of gift from god. Without help from you and other anglers it would be inpossible.
Are there still things i can do?

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/27/16 08:28 PM

Nothing to do at this time. Just keep an eye on the post to see if that one big break comes along with a place to stay on the lake where you can fish and work each day.

I am thanking fishing every morning then working at one of the resorts until closing time. This would provide you with a place to stay and something to eat. You probably want make any cash though; but you will survive and get the experience you are looking for.

Hopefully someone on here has enough pull to get you a position for a month. I don't believe any of the resorts would want to do it for any shorter period of time.

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/28/16 05:33 AM

Preacher Ed
I already know the story of him.
Isn`t he the first professional bassangler from an other country.
Who won the Bassmasterclassic?
Posted By: JoeyC

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/28/16 07:14 AM

Just throwing this out there since I live right next to Joe Pool but I'm pretty sure the Oasis restaurant or Lynn creek marina are always getting new people. Might not be the best lake but you could check out both places at the same time.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/28/16 11:49 AM

You are not allowed to enter the USA on a Tourist/Business visa and work. Even if you are working for food or board and or if Belgium is on the Visa Waiver Program.

If you tell the Officers at you POE they will not allow you entry into the USA. And you will be put on plane back home......
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/28/16 12:34 PM

We can take him to the Private Lake one day Donald if you want. I'm sure he would love catching bass till his thumbs are bleeding.

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/28/16 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: JoeyC
Just throwing this out there since I live right next to Joe Pool but I'm pretty sure the Oasis restaurant or Lynn creek marina are always getting new people. Might not be the best lake but you could check out both places at the same time.

Thanks Joey for the information. If you know these people would you enplane the the situation and see if there is any possibilities for him there; fishing in the morning and working until closing time.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/28/16 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: David Welcher
We can take him to the Private Lake one day Donald if you want. I'm sure he would love catching bass till his thumbs are bleeding.

He would love it David. Thanks for the offer.

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/28/16 02:26 PM

Donald Harper so i may not tell it to the corps.
but will it be a problem if i dont have the documents to work??
For me working is not necessary but i also want the people somehting back if they give me the opportunity to stay there and fish with them.

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/28/16 02:59 PM

We want get anything free here without the work. Half day fishing and working to closing time. Papers want be hard to get. File it as a work study program; but they will want the exact location of work and we don't have that yet. Still working on finding you a place.

You get on line and see what the paper work evolves. If it is to involved we will have to go in a different direction. That means you will have to pay to play. Ha..

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/28/16 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
We want get anything free here without the work. Half day fishing and working to closing time. Papers want be hard to get. File it as a work study program; but they will want the exact location of work and we don't have that yet. Still working on finding you a place.

You get on line and see what the paper work evolves. If it is to involved we will have to go in a different direction. That means you will have to pay to play. Ha..

He isn't eligible for a work study program

If he plans or working/studying then he will have to apply for a visa. Right now he comes from one of the few countries USA allows citizens to enter on VWP, which means basically free entry into USA without a visa. I don't want to see him spend a lot of money and then when he arrives at his Port of Entry and goes thru Immigration and he tells them he plans to work, he will be denied entry into USA and sent back home.

He can't come here on a VWP and work, even if he works for free.

ATTENTION: The Visa Waiver Program is not valid for the following travelers. These travelers need a visa:

•Travelers planning to stay more than 90 days
•Travelers by private aircraft or boat
•Students, travelers planning to take up paid or unpaid employment in the U.S. This also includes journalists/media workers, au-pairs and interns.

http://belgium.usembassy.gov/visa_waiver_program.html

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/28/16 03:16 PM

IF you want to come here and work, This is where you apply. All the forms are here

https://www.uscis.gov/

If you have question, there is a great website for Visa's.

www.visajourney.com

Posted By: beeflover

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/28/16 03:38 PM

vell I am dee ole manz from minneesoda and I wanna feesh da toledo bend or falcon befores i dize I vill does velly little vork far dee beers and dee feeshing pleaz contac mees rite nows

luv, sven
Posted By: Los Lagos

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/28/16 03:46 PM

I Love our country, kid just wants to fish, I know we have to play by the rules and all, but.

Regardless, if he makes it over here put me on the contact list and we will get him out on the water somehow somewhere, I have a 17yr old and 16 yr old that would learn alot from a young man strong enough to strike out on his own in this big bad world.
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/28/16 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Los Lagos
I Love our country, kid just wants to fish, I know we have to play by the rules and all, but.

Regardless, if he makes it over here put me on the contact list and we will get him out on the water somehow somewhere, I have a 17yr old and 16 yr old that would learn alot from a young man strong enough to strike out on his own in this big bad world.

X2 ,, love what you said .
Posted By: DAN-O

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/28/16 04:13 PM

Try Axton's Big Bass City on Lake Fork. They took Takahiro Omori in when he came over from Japan just starting out. Joe Axton has passed away, but his wife still owns and runs the place. Maybe she could use a little help with the upkeep of the rooms, some painting, a little plumbing. When we stayed there over spring break, it looked like it could use a little TLC. May be a great fit for both of them.

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/28/16 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Wanna Be Profi
Donald Harper so i may not tell it to the corps.
but will it be a problem if i dont have the documents to work??
For me working is not necessary but i also want the people somehting back if they give me the opportunity to stay there and fish with them.

Sent you a Personal Message (PM). Click on the FLASHING envelope at the top of your screen, just above MY STUFF.
Posted By: beeflover

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/28/16 10:22 PM

contact me kid! we have many more fishes than texas and it won't be as hot this summer up here in minnesota

texas already lost the war against immigrants working and they are splitting hairs about you working there for a little fishin especially red texas ranger. you can come up here and we'll fish everyday and you can do my honeydos for me, hee hee, my wife speaks french so you'll feel right at home.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Holiday fishing - 04/28/16 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: beeflover
contact me kid! we have many more fishes than texas and it won't be as hot this summer up here in minnesota

texas already lost the war against immigrants working and they are splitting hairs about you working there for a little fishin especially red texas ranger. you can come up here and we'll fish everyday and you can do my honeydos for me, hee hee, my wife speaks french so you'll feel right at home.

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/02/16 04:40 PM

Thanks for all the support and responses to Stijn and myself offering to take him out fishing for the day. We have pretty much settled on Lake Fork for the lake to locate him a place to stay and fish for the entire month of August. Keep them coming. We will soon be able to start posting dates that he has open to fish. Any trips that you can share a morning of fishing on Lake Fork would be appreciated. Thanks for all your help.

Donald
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/02/16 05:28 PM

As long as he doesn't bring up his rich uncle who just needs a 1000 bucks to get access to his fortune, this could turn out very cool! Very kind of ya'll to make this happen for the guy if this turns out to be legit. Definitely keep us posted Donald.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/02/16 06:16 PM

Beaversnipe on THF is a now naturalized Belgium American citizen I'll bet he has insight.

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/03/16 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Beaversnipe on THF is a now naturalized Belgium American citizen I'll bet he has insight.

Would you mind discussing this with him and reporting back.
Thanks,
Donald

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/05/16 03:11 PM

Stijn plans on purchasing rods when he arrives and would like to fine the Dobyns rods at a good price. If anyone has an outlet or recommendations on purchasing please let us know here. If you happen to have used ones for sale that are like new, we would like to take a look.

Thanks for any help.
Donald
Posted By: Texasfishing11

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/06/16 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Stijn plans on purchasing rods when he arrives and would like to fine the Dobyns rods at a good price. If anyone has an outlet or recommendations on purchasing please let us know here. If you happen to have used ones for sale that are like new, we would like to take a look.

Thanks for any help.
Donald

Talk with Ernie over at Lake Fork Resort. He'll take care of him I bet.

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/06/16 03:03 PM

Will do Texasfishing11. Thanks for the reply. Talked to Stijn this morning and he is looking for Dobyns Spinning Rods, for Trigs, if there are any out there.
Thanks,
Donald

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/10/16 03:11 PM

Guys I will buy a phone in America because my phone wont work over there.
I think i gone use a prepaid card because its the cheapest way if people want to contact me.
If You guys have any advice about providors i would like to hear it.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/10/16 04:55 PM

Donald, why does he have to work. Can't he just be on a fishing vacation?

Some Belgium folks took in my Dad after the Battle of the Bulge and basically saved his life. He went back several times to visit them. I am sure they are probably all dead now however.

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/10/16 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen
Donald, why does he have to work. Can't he just be on a fishing vacation?

Some Belgium folks took in my Dad after the Battle of the Bulge and basically saved his life. He went back several times to visit them. I am sure they are probably all dead now however.

It is all about expenses. Not just on his part but those that are helping him. If we can find a resort that will furnish a room and food; then doesn't it make sense that he could do some work around the resort to off set that expense?

I am sure there are more ways to skin a cat, so to speak. It would be nice to find a place for him to stay free of charge so he could fish all day everyday. As of right now none of the above is being offered. I have had a couple of guys contact me saying they will call in their markers and talk with a few resort people. It has been two weeks with no results yet. If you have suggestions lets keep them coming.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/10/16 09:10 PM

Mr. Harper, that is good work. I think this will work out for everyone.
Stijn, hang in there, it looks like you may get your opportunity on the best big bass lake anywhere.
I can't help but good luck to all.
Nice thread!

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/11/16 02:36 AM

Ok Donald here is what we are willing to do for the aspiring bass fisherman. Thanks in part to the Misson family my father survived WWII and my younger brother was born soon after he came home.

In their honor we want to have Stijn come and stay with us for a while. The only stick in that pie is that we will be heading east to Tennessee in July to visit relatives for about 10 days. But perhaps my neighbor who fishes a lot would be interested in filling in.

This Thursday the Lake Fork Anglers is fishing and I will see if any of the others would like a house guest. And if not I will also check with the LFSA folks.

Some dates would be appreciated to figure it out.

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/11/16 04:16 AM

Stijn is scheduled to come in July 30 to DFW and return on Sept. 1.

I appreciate your help Mr. Allen as I am sure Stijn will be. Feel free to contact him by PM. as he will be excited to here from you. Please feel free to PM me also and keep me posted on the progress. You can count on me to help in any way you need me to.

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/11/16 10:34 AM

Thank you for your effort if there's anything I can do let me know.
Posted By: AlaskaImport

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/11/16 03:32 PM

i have a spare room here in denton thats always open if needed, can also provide some under the table work to help put some money in the pocket. We have a boat on ray roberts, I am not the best fisherman but have no problem helping out if need be!

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/11/16 03:41 PM

Donald,
My name is Bruce.

When he gets here I will need someone to pick him up at DFW. Perhaps we could all meet at the BPS in Garland and welcome him to Texas and then we can go from there.

Bruce

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/11/16 03:45 PM

One other thing I hope he is not allergic to dogs.

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/11/16 10:31 PM

Thanks Bruce. I will be glad to pick him up at the air port. I will get him to post his flight arrival. If it is late in the afternoon or evening he can spend the night at my house then we will load up and meet you guys the next day at BPS.
He is wanting to purchase fishing gear when he arrives and that will work out for his needs.

Thanks again for your help.
Donald

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/12/16 02:51 PM

Bruce im not allergic for dogs i love dogs as long they dont attack me :P

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/12/16 11:39 PM

Hi Stijn,

Things are starting to jell. Members of my fishing club are looking forward to meeting you and we will be lining up dates to keep you pretty much on the water the whole time you are here. I will work out the dates with others on this board who also want to take you out fishing.
Between me and some of my friends we are going to try and set you up with some free guide trips too. But that is in the maybe scope right now.
It is very hot here in August so I am also going to line up some night fishing trips for you.

Will you e-mail me at sjbasser@aol.com so that if I have any questions we can be in contact please.

How do you say Stijn in English? Is it Steve?

Donald is there any chance you might be at the Legend tournament this weekend? Cheryl and I will be working the live release boat Friday and perhaps we could talk and plan a little in person.

Anyway I believe we are making progress.

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/13/16 05:04 AM

Sorry Bruce I want be there; but you can call me or email me at:
Phone: 432-553-1874
Email: fishnteacher@gmail.com

Thanks for all your help.
Donald

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/13/16 08:12 PM

Just call me mike its my co-name because mike iaconelli was my idol for a while.

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/13/16 08:20 PM

Hey realy thanks for your positive reaction on my post.
Is the private lake near fork + Can you say which days you are able to fish with me on the private lake?

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/13/16 08:22 PM

Realy thanks for your positive reaction.
Can you send me the days when you are near lake fork.
+ the days when we can fish together?
And a email adress and a telephone number this will improve our contact when im in texas.

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/13/16 09:47 PM

Hay Mike:
When you firm up your flight coming into DFW post the time. Then we can start putting things in place.

- Bruce will line up most of your fishing trips for you and make sure you are there on time and ready to fish.

Anyone wanting to take you out for the day would need to contact Bruce and set the date. This will give him the opportunity to hold the calendar and schedule everyone so there is no confusion.
- Anyone that has contacted you needs to PM. Bruce so he can put them on his calendar.

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/13/16 11:15 PM

Donald is exactly correct.

I have already established a schedule for you so that we can make sure your days and NIGHTS are all lined up. And I will start filling in your dates as I get them. Anyone that would like to take you on a trip away from Lake Fork might take some extra arrangements so I would need to talk to them in person.

I am not sure you know how hot it gets here in August. We have had years where the whole month it never drops below 100 during the day. So some folks fish at night and you will be too.

The other thing I was thinking about is your tackle. I am not sure you want to go crazy buying expensive tackle here. And then trying to get it home on the airplane. You could always just try out that which we find for you and then you might have a better idea of what you want to buy. Then go online and have it shipped to your home.

Maybe we could just line up some tackle for you to "borrow" and go from there. We would need to know whether you fish spinning like your hero or conventional like nearly everyone in Texas and whether you fish right or left handed.

Since the Texas fishing licenses expires the end of August I think it would be OK now, if you want, to go online to www.TPWD.Gov and buy your license on line. That way you should be good right up until you leave.

I will answer your e-mail shortly, thanks

Re: Holiday fishing - 05/14/16 01:00 PM

i take my rod in my right hand, i will post my flight day and hours soon , and i will send you a list with all the people that already contacted me.

Ps your link doesnt work

Re: Holiday fishing - 07/23/16 12:55 AM

so now we are finally a week away from your trip to America. Many hours have gone into putting it altogether for you and many fishing volunteers have agreed to take you out on our great waters. More are still needed however to really fill in your calendar.

Be safe and get her fast.
Posted By: Beaversnipe

Re: Holiday fishing - 09/14/16 12:23 AM

Cool Stijn,

Your next move is to live in the USA.
Being belgian myself, you have to agree that Belgium stinks!

Nice article today in gazet van antwerpen

Hey,

Ik ben belg, woonachtig in dallas voor de laatste 20 jaar.
Ik vis ook op lake fork en op fazantenjacht daar ook.

Cool artiekel in gazet van antwerpen.

Next time you come to texas, come visit me.

http://www.gva.be/cnt/dmf20160913_024670...ssioneel-visser
Posted By: Beaversnipe

Re: Holiday fishing - 09/14/16 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Wanna Be Profi
Thats right guys im Stijn Lens that studys on immaculata institute.
My profile pic at the moment is with wine on the background , i dont share a lot of fishing photo`s on social media.
But i will try to post any pictures later today.
Maybe you guys can add me on FB this is easier for me to react _> Stijn Lens.
Already thanks for the positive reactions.
Maybe later on we can skype or something.
My dad talks beter english then me and he also want to know where i gone stay.

Next time you come back, make sure you bring a case of Westmalle tripple trapist beer.
I grew up 10 miles from the abbey
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum