Texas Fishing Forum

Buying new used boat.

Posted By: flipflap

Buying new used boat. - 04/22/16 10:40 PM

So I am in the market for a new used boat. I have been looking at Skeeter ZX series boat with Yamaha SHO. Tell me why I shouldn't buy this boat and what boat I should buy. My budget is $43000 out the door this must included poles and 9inch plus graphes front and back.
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/22/16 10:57 PM

Unless it has a ton of warranty, and you plan to sell before the warranty expires. I wouldn't buy a boat with a SHO. Every used boat with a SHO seems to have a new power head.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/22/16 11:10 PM

The Sho's had problems with power heads till early 2012 they do not have many problems now. they have all been fixed the last ones have a recall right now to have the few that are left fixed. I would not be scare of a Sho after 2012 for sure. ZX's are good boats. I would also look at a good used 721 Phoenix in that price range. good luck ether way
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/23/16 12:14 AM

I love when someone bashes a sho. Do y'all not remember the optipop when it came out? Sad thing is now the sho is performing with the mercs while not burning the oil and gas. Since the updated bearings there is not a "problem" with a Sho.
Posted By: JCHANDLER

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/23/16 12:40 AM

Whatever you buy, take it to a boat dealer mechanic to do an inspection on motor,boat and trailer. You will sleep better at night, trust me!
Posted By: mudd

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/23/16 12:45 AM

They had a recall on 2011 models. My friend has one that hasn't been changed out yet. Running smooth
Posted By: flipflap

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/23/16 01:12 AM

Thanks guys for the info. I am looking at a 2012 fx 20 with a 250 sho with 200 hours. I figure if it ha sent blown up yet it should be good.
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/23/16 01:12 AM

Man Its all the same now. Get what you want and keep up the maitenence.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/23/16 01:48 AM

Also check the trailer! Tubing trailers tend to have interior rust problems, C channel is way better....
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/23/16 01:50 AM

SHO's are fine now, first year or 2 had some issues, but it is a strong motor.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/23/16 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: flipflap
Thanks guys for the info. I am looking at a 2012 fx 20 with a 250 sho with 200 hours. I figure if it ha sent blown up yet it should be good.

A lot of wisdom in that statement.
Posted By: jimritcholds481

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/23/16 03:00 AM

do not buy a yamaha, go with a ranger legend or phenix, not a fan of skeeters as the rough water ride is wet and rough. have heard good things out of basscats, can't go wrong with a 250 mercy pro xs. all are just my personal opinions if i offended you, well buck up buttercup. you should do some test drives to get it all figured out with what you want, thats what i did and I'm in a legend, fast smooth dry and stable.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/23/16 03:26 AM

Id get the biggest phenix,the new legend,or a basscat eyra or caracol.it's a Shame you can't buy a new one for 43000 tho
Posted By: Chatter bait

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/23/16 03:39 AM

The 2015 SHO. BC My boat blew up. It had less than 20hrs. In shop needs new power head.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/23/16 03:44 AM

Personally, no way I'd spend $43k on a boat with a motor that has no warranty and a history of powerhead problems.

Get a Merc or Etec or include motor work in your budget. You might not like the answer, but that's my opinion and you asked for them. Of course, you know what they say about opinions...
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/23/16 04:05 AM

Buy something with warranty and have it checked out by a shop.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/23/16 06:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Chatter bait
The 2015 SHO. BC My boat blew up. It had less than 20hrs. In shop needs new power head.

Just wondering. What engine was this? Seems like something was wrong from the start. I'm curious about what caused the failure?
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/23/16 01:48 PM

The Skeeter ZX series is great fishing platform with a wide front deck, dry ride and handles rough water as well as any modern bass boat. As stated by others the SHO had problems with the crankshaft trust bearing and rings not seating AKA making oil. The word on the street is the issues have been resolved. Addressing warranty and used outboard engines I personally would not buy any used outboard without warranty with the exception of a super bargain. For example if I had to repower on my own dime the over all cost would still be acceptable.
Posted By: Tornado11

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/23/16 01:59 PM

I have a 2013 ZX with poles. 158 hours Warranty until 2019. 998 Humminbird graphs. Pm if you want more info
Posted By: Skeeter Salesman

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/23/16 02:01 PM

If you will come see the experts at a boat dealership like us at fun-n-sun you can come see a great selection of new and used boats that would fit your needs and expectations and let me put my 27 years of experience in the bass boat industry to work for you, and get facts about brands instead of opinions.
Thanks,
Fain Caldwell
Fun-N-Sun Boats
817-280-0303
Posted By: mitchmoore01

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/27/16 08:46 PM

I wouldn't be afraid of the SHO. Our bay boat has around 380 hours now, it's a 2012, and (to this point) have had no issues. It is a very strong engine. I would be scared of an e-tec though, my grandpa's is on its fourt lower unit and he never runs wot. I have nothing to say against Mercury, they're fast and reliable.
Posted By: Amackmac

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/28/16 12:03 AM

There is some funny comments on this thread.

Id buy a Sho or Merc anytime. both good and own the market.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/28/16 12:23 AM

I have a 2015 ZX 225 with 42 hours on it if interested it is in the boat section.
Posted By: Texjef84

Re: Buying new used boat. - 04/28/16 10:45 AM

I would shop around and maybe pick out 3 boats you like, Skeeter, Bass Cat and Legend let's say. After looking for a few weeks you will start to see which age and model has what you want and can afford. Next, find some clean ones that you would consider buying and go drive them. Nothing beats getting them on the water and seeing how the deck is laid out and how they drive, that's my .02. I did this and found a Bass Cat I had to have and have been very happy.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum