Texas Fishing Forum

IS ATHENS OPEN?

Posted By: wagonwheel

IS ATHENS OPEN? - 04/21/16 11:52 PM

Does anyone out there know if the boat launch is open at Lake Athens. I know they got a pretty good bit of rain, my wife and I are thinking of going tomorrow (4/22). Thanks for any info.
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: IS ATHENS OPEN? - 04/22/16 12:29 AM

I'm wanting to go Tuesday, any info on the lake condition...
Posted By: K.D.

Re: IS ATHENS OPEN? - 04/22/16 12:54 AM

I fished it Tuesday. According to tpwd it was only .20 higher than before the rain. I caught all my fish on points. Nothing in pockets but did see a few ultra shallow behind the grass line. I've never been a sight fisherman so I left them alone. Also saw lots of fry and each had a fish guarding close by.

Chatterbaits, squarebills, yellow magics all produced till noon and the sky's cleared. It was shakyhead and trick worms after that. Had a very productive day with fish up to 4 lbs.

It's still less than a foot high

http://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/individual/athens
Posted By: Stucky76

Re: IS ATHENS OPEN? - 04/22/16 12:56 AM

When do they close the ramp there? I think if I remember correctly it's around 2-2/12 feet high
Posted By: Double A

Re: IS ATHENS OPEN? - 04/22/16 01:22 AM

Thanks for the info K.D.

For someone who's looking to go to Athens their first time tomorrow, can you run the main lake or is it filled with stumps like so many of our other Texas lakes? Any guidance on where you can run and where you need to idle will be much appreciated.
Posted By: Stucky76

Re: IS ATHENS OPEN? - 04/22/16 01:37 AM

You can run all over the lake. No stumps except for the second main lake point. There are some shallow areas but that's it on the main lake.
Posted By: wagonwheel

Re: IS ATHENS OPEN? - 04/22/16 01:37 AM

Double A,

If you see us there tomorrow (4/22) say hello. 16 ft, brown Fisher bass boat with a 40 hp Merc.
Posted By: ctapp

Re: IS ATHENS OPEN? - 04/22/16 02:29 AM

Yes/// just give the 2nd main lake point some love an 1/4 way down on the same point facing the 1st point there's big timbere from the bank to about 100 yrds out it was marked can't remember if it's still marked
Posted By: wlgorman

Re: IS ATHENS OPEN? - 04/22/16 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: K.D.
I fished it Tuesday. According to tpwd it was only .20 higher than before the rain. I caught all my fish on points. Nothing in pockets but did see a few ultra shallow behind the grass line. I've never been a sight fisherman so I left them alone. Also saw lots of fry and each had a fish guarding close by.

Chatterbaits, squarebills, yellow magics all produced till noon and the sky's cleared. It was shakyhead and trick worms after that. Had a very productive day with fish up to 4 lbs.

It's still less than a foot high

http://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/individual/athens

Shakeyheads work in that thick stuff?
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: IS ATHENS OPEN? - 04/22/16 02:37 AM

http://www.athenstxwater.org/

If it was closed then they would put it up on the website
Posted By: Ranger 188

Re: IS ATHENS OPEN? - 05/22/16 05:25 PM

I would drive by lake Jacksonville everyday of the week to fish Athens. That lake has it all. Every cover known to man plus boatdocks and schoolers. It also has the fish.
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: IS ATHENS OPEN? - 05/22/16 06:14 PM

It's open the wife and I are going to night! To catch some true finned freaks of nature!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum