Texas Fishing Forum

A Weird First For Me This Evening

Posted By: M. Alexander

A Weird First For Me This Evening - 04/21/16 02:35 AM

I hit the neighborhood pond tonight for a little bit after dinner. They were chompin' a Biffle Bug really good. Felt some dead weight on the line and thought I had a little moss...I bring it in and I had freshwater clam about the size of a silver dollar firmly clinched onto the shank of my hook. My dad told me of catching a whopper clam while wormin' at night years ago, but never seen it happen 'til tonight.
Posted By: BassnJAK

Re: A Weird First For Me This Evening - 04/21/16 02:46 AM

Don't be Skinny Dipping in that pond! lizard
Posted By: Trickster

Re: A Weird First For Me This Evening - 04/21/16 02:46 AM

Full, moon blues.
Posted By: 1442

Re: A Weird First For Me This Evening - 04/21/16 03:45 AM

I caught a big one on a C rig once

Didn't fight too hard for as big as he was

Just don't drag bottom when skinny dippin and you should be OK
Posted By: 361V

Re: A Weird First For Me This Evening - 04/21/16 12:03 PM

Years ago I caught a freshwater clam with the treble hook from a Little George tailspinner completely inside the closed clam. I have always assumed that when they sit on the bottom in an open position that they are triggered to close if something just happens to land inside the open shell. Only explanation I could think of. Now when I catch one on a topwater......
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: A Weird First For Me This Evening - 04/21/16 05:59 PM

I was fishing Lake Norris (North of Knoxville) a couple of weeks ago...using a Red Eye Shad....I caught 2 Zebra mussels the size of your pinkie nail...on separate casts........how fast do they have to be to clamp down on a lipless crankbait.....pretty darn fast....
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: A Weird First For Me This Evening - 04/21/16 06:30 PM

those zebras are aggressive little effers
Posted By: AvidOutdoors7

Re: A Weird First For Me This Evening - 04/21/16 07:12 PM

hmmm.. I thought clams and muscles just sat there, didnt know they would go after stuff... especailly not crankbaits!
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: A Weird First For Me This Evening - 04/21/16 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: AvidBassin
hmmm.. I thought clams and muscles just sat there, didnt know they would go after stuff... especailly not crankbaits!

They don't. The zebra mussels are torn off from whatever they're attached to. Clams will lay on the bottom open until something is dragged across them then snap shut.
Posted By: Paparon

Re: A Weird First For Me This Evening - 04/21/16 08:42 PM

Never happened to me so yep, I say it's weird, but I reckon if you fish long enough weird things are gonna happen.
fish
Posted By: txsuperman

Re: A Weird First For Me This Evening - 04/21/16 09:13 PM

Not to brag, but I've had lots of clams on my worm............just saying
Posted By: Jaguar6

Re: A Weird First For Me This Evening - 04/21/16 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: txsuperman
Not to brag, but I've had lots of clams on my worm............just saying
might wanna get that checked out bud
Posted By: SCHOOLINSHADATTACK

Re: A Weird First For Me This Evening - 04/21/16 09:54 PM

The "clam" is undefeated
Posted By: Superslab

Re: A Weird First For Me This Evening - 04/22/16 02:28 AM

This one was aggressive and hit right at the shore - LOL
Posted By: lconn4

Re: A Weird First For Me This Evening - 04/22/16 05:08 AM

This post reminded me of fishing an oyster bar in Chokoloskee, Fla many years ago. Never thought much about the difference in oysters, clams, or mussles but came upon this exposed oyster bar late one evening at the end of outgoing tide with setting sun in just the right place to see something I'd never noticed before. The oysters were shooting a liquid all over the place. The video sucks with low light and cheap camera but at about the 10/11 second mark you'll see one big load shot by mr super oyster. The other shots were much smaller with just a small ring in the water much like watching rain hit the water.

http://vid593.photobucket.com/albums/tt20/lconn4/videos/DSCF1097.mp4

http://scribol.com/environment/animals-environment/oysters-have-freaky-love-lives/
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: A Weird First For Me This Evening - 04/22/16 09:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Superslab
This one was aggressive and hit right at the shore - LOL

I "caught" one about twice that size on Lake Dunlap on a chrome trap. I didn't know they got that big in fresh water.
Posted By: 361V

Re: A Weird First For Me This Evening - 04/22/16 10:34 AM

Originally Posted By: lconn4
The video sucks with low light and cheap camera but at about the 10/11 second mark you'll see one big load shot by mr super oyster.
http://vid593.photobucket.com/albums/tt20/lconn4/videos/DSCF1097.mp4
Well this post just went south! :-)
Posted By: txanlger

Re: A Weird First For Me This Evening - 04/22/16 11:34 AM

Last weekend I went to a local pond and reeled in a master lock. Must be that time of year haha.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum