Texas Fishing Forum

BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea

Posted By: Neal G

BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/20/16 02:09 PM

BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea pulled the plug on his 2016 season. $ funding was the reason given. Sounds like a nice enough guy but he obviously made a poor decision to accept the Elite invitation with not having enough support to make it through one season. He was up front and open from the beginning about his tight budget. Although I did not see enough tournament success and experience (outside of his home area) in his tournament history to think that he had a great chance at the Elite level - he did qualify and I understand the attraction to fish them. His blog is here: Matt Vermilyea Blog

Which brings me to the Elite qualification process that I will cover in a different post.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/20/16 02:35 PM

Sounds like he rolled the dice on being able to cash a check to keep fishing. Two tournaments into the season, 107 in AOY standings and no checks. Seems like poor judgement on the angler's part. Though I suspect there are a bunch of guys at the Opens level that would take that same gamble.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/20/16 02:41 PM

Probably smart to get out now instead of risking debt further into the season.
Posted By: crna13

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/20/16 02:54 PM

Great blog. He lived a dream that many of us have and probably will never get to do. You only live once
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/20/16 02:56 PM

Tough deal when you are banking on cashing checks to stay in the game. Good luck to the ole boy. At the end of the day he can say he fished two more Elite tournaments than most of us.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/20/16 02:59 PM

All fishing is not the same as fishing Erie and Northern smallie waters. My experience with Northern smallies is they are aggressive and tend to make you think you can fish with the pros.
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/20/16 03:01 PM

I really don't see how anyone new coming in can afford to compete unless you come from the college ranks or FLW. Sponsors aren't going to give a big check to someone unproven.
Posted By: criglizard

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/20/16 03:11 PM

Can't blame him for trying. Is there some sort of penalty for pulling out for the remainder of the season?

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/20/16 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: criglizard
Can't blame him for trying. Is there some sort of penalty for pulling out for the remainder of the season?

Don't know for sure, but I imagine he forfeits the entry fee for Bull Shoals, which he already paid.
Posted By: Dbranch3

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/20/16 04:24 PM

I think it's great he gave it a shot, may have been his only chance to fish the elites!
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/20/16 04:58 PM

I thought they had to pay all entries for the season upfront to secure the spot?

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/20/16 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: InTheClear
I thought they had to pay all entries for the season upfront to secure the spot?

No, they can do it in stages, but it costs more.
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/20/16 05:13 PM

From talking to several Elite fishermen, I believe that they can make a few payments on the entry fees.. But I can't vouch for BASS rules for sure..

There are probably very few of us that have not dreamed of walking across that stage carrying a big bag of fish with a [censored] eating grin on our faces.. Or hoisting that trophy over your head on the final day..

If the situation availed itself to me forty years ago. I'da went in a minute.. I could have always went back to driving nails..
That don't mean I would have made it any farther than the first tournament..

In a famous movie Clint Eastwood said, "A man's got to know his limitations.."

Sometimes it takes jumping out there to find out what they are..

So I'll give him credit for giving it a shot.. And best of luck in the future.. I'm sure he is not gonna quit fishing..
Posted By: NTX Fisherman

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/20/16 05:54 PM

I give him credit for trying - you don't know how it'll go until you go do it.
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/20/16 08:35 PM

Atleast he's smart enough to throw in the towel now and not when he is neck deep in debt.
Posted By: ScottA

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/20/16 10:16 PM

Smart to call it quits.. or was it?

Rick Clunn's first year fishing B.A.S.S. he said that if he didn't catch a 3 pounder in the last 30 min of a tournament he would not have enough weight to get a check and NO MONEY to get home. He did catch that 3 pounder in the last half hour, got a check and made it home.

Had he NOT caught that last minute fish, maybe he quits or maybe not. I'm glad he caught it. It's a gamble.
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/20/16 10:19 PM

I believe that was his very first tournament if I remember correctly.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/21/16 12:05 AM

Cant speak poorly of anyone going for the dream.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/21/16 10:09 AM

Competition is tough on the Elite series. Yor really need a financial plan that doesn't require you to cash a check in the first two tournaments.

Props to him for taking a risk and giving it a run.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/21/16 12:18 PM

Interesting read. It's cool he qualified and tried. And to be honest about the financial hardships he was facing. BASS is a business so they couldn't make exceptions to the rules just for him. I'd love to one day say I fished the Elites!!
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/21/16 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Josh Seale
At the end of the day he can say he fished two more Elite tournaments than most of us.

We have an TFF member who won $100K just few years ago as rookie

We had a TFF party for him at Flips a few years ago

He not only fished it, he spanked them

https://www.bassmaster.com/texas-chad-griffin-elite-series-rookie-dominates-land-first-bass-victory
Posted By: Jay Kumar

Re: BASS Elite Angler - Matt Vermilyea - 04/21/16 05:38 PM

That took a lot of courage. Can't fish derby to derby on the Elites. Need a nest egg.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum