Texas Fishing Forum

Best way to fish a Chatterbait?

Posted By: DaleMcCutchen

Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 03:07 AM

What is the best way to fish these baits, Like a Jig, or Spinnerbait, Trailer or no Trailer???
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 03:20 AM

More like a spinnerbait. Bump off wood. Rip through grass. Trailer.
Posted By: Mo_Cat

Re: Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 03:23 AM

Trim skirt to bend in hook and use 3.5" LFMS and your are good.
Posted By: Sandog

Re: Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 03:24 AM

I take the skirt off and put a lake fork magic shad on it....

Then I fish it slow. Letting it fall straight down every so often
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 03:57 AM

Don't listen to Sandog. He can't fish very good.
Posted By: Mo_Cat

Re: Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 04:08 AM

No skirt & LFMS works great also. Don't know if Sandog can catch a fish??
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 12:15 PM

I fish it with a lift & drop retrieve mostly. Like fishing a worm only faster. Throw it out, let it sink to the bottom, then lift the rod up to the 12 o'clock position letting it fall back to the bottom. When it hits bottom, repeat. Most bites come as it is sinking back to the bottom.

If there is scattered grass, I reel it pretty consistently, trying to let it go deep enought to hit the tops of the grass. When it contacts the grass, give it a sharp jerk to free it and keep reeling. Most bites come just after it rips free of the grass.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
I fish it with a lift & drop retrieve mostly. Like fishing a worm only faster. Throw it out, let it sink to the bottom, then lift the rod up to the 12 o'clock position letting it fall back to the bottom. When it hits bottom, repeat. Most bites come as it is sinking back to the bottom.

If there is scattered grass, I reel it pretty consistently, trying to let it go deep enought to hit the tops of the grass. When it contacts the grass, give it a sharp jerk to free it and keep reeling. Most bites come just after it rips free of the grass.

^^^

I always use a trailer. As far as skirt vs no skirt--the more stained the water, the more likely I'll put a skirt on there.
Posted By: Austin.P

Re: Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 01:20 PM

I throw trailers on all my spinners, life saver lol! It can make a big difference if you have fish just hitting the blades, have caught many 8lb plus on a trailer hook, I prefer war eagle spinner baits aswell and jigs, but I have tons of different brands of jigs, but if you wanna buy several things at once I would go war eagle, there spinner baits don't use big heavy wire, but very durable, reason I like smaller wire is it creates better vibration in the water. Very reliable company and I'm sure many others would agree, also jigs I like companies who use wire to keep on the skirts, usually use a jig on rock, or flipping, or when weather conditions change hitting close to cover. When throwing a chatter, I throw trailers on mine, but trailers to make it swim high and slow, usually use the lake fork swim bait, my opinion on things that should get you started in the right direction, if you like to hit lay over logs, must be careful using a trailer hook on the spinner bait. Can be very frustrating when it snags rolling over, and I know many people have had this happen! Good luck any more questions feel free to ask! 😊
Posted By: Sandog

Re: Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Mo_Cat
No skirt & LFMS works great also. Don't know if Sandog can catch a fish??

I've been known to put a good one in the boat every so often : ) That LFMS is deadly on a chatter bait.
Posted By: beermill

Re: Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 02:49 PM

I take the skirt off and put a waterdog on it.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 03:31 PM

I like to reel them as slow as possible to where I just barely feel the blade vibrating. Making contact with any sort of cover like, grass, wood, or rocks, is key to the success of a vibrating jig. I always use a trailer! And more often than not, I use this trailer on the back .

Gambler EZ Swimmer
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 04:37 PM

I never thought of the lift and drop method with a chatterbait. I will try that sometime.

I always use a skinny dipper as my trailer. Much better luck with colored blade as well. I only use two colors: Green Pumpkin and white with chartruese.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: beermill
I take the skirt off and put a waterdog on it.

bolt
Posted By: Skeeter_Man1

Re: Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 06:29 PM

I couldn't of said it better! ^^^
Posted By: L a r r y

Re: Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 06:39 PM

I really like the ZMan Elite chatterbait in 1/2 oz, with a Lake Fork Boot Tail magic shad in 4.5". This gives a bigger profile for the bigger bite, and like everyone else said, snap it out of grass, bump it into things, slow roll, medium retrieve with pauses, lift and drop. All of these are effective. Try switching it up every few minutes, until you get a bite, and then try and repeating it to get on a pattern with what the fish want.
Posted By: Amac88

Re: Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 06:48 PM

5ft or less 3/8oz. 5 ft plus 1/2 oz. Pre Spawn to Spawn use a skirt and craw type trailer, postspawn take the skirt off. Kicker Bait Fish Tail Slapper or Reins Rockvibe as trailer.
Posted By: ratandjmt

Re: Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 06:55 PM

Nice info. I just picked up a few at lunch time and plan on giving them a go this weekend. Hopefully.
Posted By: DaleMcCutchen

Re: Best way to fish a Chatterbait? - 04/19/16 10:32 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I am gonna try some of this!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum