Texas Fishing Forum

Boating Accident on Fork

Posted By: Fishn_man

Boating Accident on Fork - 04/18/16 02:40 PM

I heard there was a boating accident around Bell Point on Saturday. Can't find anything about it. Does anyone have a link to news or know the facts about this?

Thanks
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 12:52 AM

I know a buddy of mine was hit and his passenger tossed......no injuries but it wrecked his nice boat.....an uninsured gentleman in an old Triton hit him.....all I know
Posted By: Rog

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 02:14 AM

Be careful out there lots of yahoos not following boating regs and cutting across in front when approaching head on and passing on the wrong side in boat lanes. Better to shut down than be right and hurt.....we need a refresher post on regs for passing and right of way.
Posted By: fisherman2012

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 02:18 AM

I know the guy in the triton he said it was the others guy fault he crossed on to his side of bouys in boat lane

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 02:32 AM

Was not aware there was a side in the boat lanes. There are no white lines and some bouys are now in or very close to stumps on the east side lane if you go to the right of them going north, north of bell hump and before 515. Best to always follow boating regs regarding right of way.
Posted By: fisherman2012

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 02:35 AM

There is a side to everything rather it be right, left, east, west, north, south, top or bottom
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 03:26 AM

We drive right of center on our roads, stands to reason that we do the same on boat lanes.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 03:29 AM

and that is where the confusion begins
Posted By: smallblock

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 03:32 AM

I think what confuses people is that the drivers seat on boats is on the right side. Autos are left side. Might feel to some that you should pass on left side?

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
We drive right of center on our roads, stands to reason that we do the same on boat lanes.

Agree most of the time but next time you are over there notice the line from the last buoy on bell to the last bouy by 515. The ones closer to 515 have drifted right of the actual lane and there are stumps out close to the lane on the right side by 515 just before you reach the last bouy. I will not run right of the bouys heading north of bell hump to 515. Ran that lane before there were bouys and trees still standing and know what's over there. But my actual point was I have had at several boats the last three weeks heading head on towards me in the wider lanes running wot who cut left and across in front of me.....and I was on the "right" side of the bouy. Just because someone is on the perceived wrong side of the bouys does not mean you are in the right when you run over them, know the regs. Btw way I don't know either of the gentlemen involved in the accident and hope all are well.....,

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 04:02 AM

Here you go: http://www.boatus.org/guide/navigation_7.html

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 05:33 AM

David you deleted your post but spent some time replying and there is a idea there.

Originally Posted By: David Burton
Is it legitimate to use 'Red Right Returning' when the buoy is in the middle of the lane, imagining Red/Green Buoys running north from the Dam/Sea?

smile. Are you returning from sea or leaving. Red Right returning, left leaving. Suppose you could place the red bouy to your left/port if returning and chance running aground. Right returning does not mean go the the right of the red marker. It means to keep it on your starboard side when returning from sea. To be honest never encountered red/green on a inland dammed lake. Just some bouys supposedly marking the center of a clear run that all seem to treat like the center stripe of a road. However in some instances the said bouys do not mark the actual center of the cleared lane and all using may not be aware that the bouy has moved from its center position and running them wide to one side or the other may put them in danger of hitting obstructions.

However, using your logic could alleviate some confusion by marking clear lanes with red and green markers on lakes like fork to denot both sides of a clear lane and use the dam as a point of reference as meaning out to sea.....then you could utilize Right returning when moving away from the dam and left leaving heading towards the dam and other navigation rules between the red and green channel markers. But remember right returning means you keep the red channel mark on your right/starboard side. Now let's get to sinking permanent channel markers and fixing this problem. smile.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 05:44 AM

Absolutely agree about permanent markers. Toledo used the Red/Green on the LA Side of the main N/S Lanes. I did a little more searching, and the 'center' markers do not denote a stripe down the middle as in cars, but it seems to be the norm on Fork to treat it as such. Less of a requirement, as if you are not head on regardless of the side of the boat you will meet oncoming traffic as, you are to proceed normally following standard right of way rules.

That's why I deleted my previous post... But thanks for bringing up such a sore subject. nuts
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 12:48 PM

I've seen several instances where the buoys were a ways away from the boatlanes indicated by Lance's chip. Buoys can drift, GPS not so much, so which do you follow?
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 12:52 PM

One problem, on lakes with boat lanes marked, is when approaching another boat from behind, which side do you pass? The people that know the rules come around on the right, others come on the left, just like an auto. Some people haul down the boat lane, and then with no ryhme or reason, bolt left or right, never looking. And then there's the boats that haul it, and then shut down right in the middle of the lane, not mention the ones that idle down the lane. Then there's the one that......... popcorn
Posted By: etexbasser

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 01:12 PM

I just read the boating regs. I am not a sailor at sea, I don't understand that terminology. I am more confused now than ever.
Posted By: heybaylor

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 01:24 PM

easy way to fix the problem,
REMOVE all the bouy's,

then everyone use the boating regs to drive your boat.
seems to work on other lakes
Posted By: Austin.P

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 01:47 PM

Completely agree with you! It's not so much that people are bad drivers, which yes some are, or show offs. But so much you having to think what is that guy in front about to do, one False move and boom incident, we as anglers/boaters just need to look out for one another, using hand signals can always be helpful, just like coming up on somebody fishing I'll always figure out what direction they are going so nobody feels getting cut off!
Posted By: Austin.P

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 01:48 PM

Falcon is the same way with poles, but not so much traffic as fork, just have to watch out for the Mexican fishing boats and DANG GILL NETS... Trolling motor hell.. And never let them see you hit one. Lol
Posted By: buda13

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 01:55 PM

Regardless of boat lanes, when a boat is approaching you this is what you should do...

Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 01:59 PM

A lot of the "accidents" in life today can attributed to the lack of the use of good judgement and common sense.

Pay attention to what is around you (especially on the water) and make good sound decisions. Will there still be instances of actual "accidents", yes, but with the use of some common sense and making good and sound judgment calls, they would be a lot more rare.
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 02:07 PM

That's it, we need turn signals and review mirrors standard on all boats.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 02:13 PM

There are a few sharp turns on Lake Alan Henry and I'm almost always amazed at how many people cut those points and attempt to pass me on my right.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 02:14 PM

I agree that its a free for all on which side to run and on which side to pass another boat.
As bad as Fork is, Toledo bend is worse. There is too much distance between bouys and some of them have drifted off the lanes they were suppose to protect.

Have you'll ever been to PK. The marker bouys have a flashing light in them which certainly helps early and late and while night fishing.
My answer would be to double the number of bouys, add the flashers and leave instructions with all marina operators to hand out safety regs to all guest. Maybe even have them sign that they received them just for the liability of it all.
It's just going to get worse as summer gets here. Someone is going to get killed in one of these accidents.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: west tex angler
I agree that its a free for all on which side to run and on which side to pass another boat.
As bad as Fork is, Toledo bend is worse. There is too much distance between bouys and some of them have drifted off the lanes they were suppose to protect.

Have you'll ever been to PK. The marker bouys have a flashing light in them which certainly helps early and late and while night fishing.
My answer would be to double the number of bouys, add the flashers and leave instructions with all marina operators to hand out safety regs to all guest. Maybe even have them sign that they received them just for the liability of it all.
It's just going to get worse as summer gets here. Someone is going to get killed in one of these accidents.

So more regulation and more "government" is a solution?

and FYI a lot of people already get killed on the water
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 02:30 PM

I fish Fork a lot. I truly do not see a ton of issues in the way folks run the buoys at all. Even on the busier days I don't see a lot of crazy stuff. Granted the big bass deals are a different creature and clientele at times so you expect to see it then but on a normal day I rarely if ever see much out there that is dangerous or reckless. I am talking buoy related to be clear.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
I fish Fork a lot. I truly do not see a ton of issues in the way folks run the buoys at all. Even on the busier days I don't see a lot of crazy stuff. Granted the big bass deals are a different creature and clientele at times so you expect to see it then but on a normal day I rarely if ever see much out there that is dangerous or reckless. I am talking buoy related to be clear.

Right there with ya
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 02:59 PM

Treat the boys like the center line on a highway! Pretty simple.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 03:07 PM

Like Mark Perry I'm on Fork a lot, very sorry to hear of any accident involving people and boats on plane... Lucky no one was seriously hurt, that was a blessing in it's self..
I see issues with people not knowing how to navigate buoy's, and each other more than I'd like to admit. Mostly in the big bass events..
The thing that really bothers me is, why do you guy's, and you'll know who you are, have to do 75 mph EVERYWHERE you go.. Is it because you can, it can be dangerous, the old rule of thumb will eventually catch up to you one day. If it can happen, it will happen.
Justsay'n... grin
Don't get me wrong I like to go fast too, just not everytime I get on pad... Like Doug said, very good words of wisdom "common sense" I wish it came in a pill form, I know a few folks that could use a bottle or two...
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13
Regardless of boat lanes, when a boat is approaching you this is what you should do...

this ^^^

bouys are irrelevant. The bouys simply mark a likely safe path on the lake. Boating regulations and universal rules on which boat has right of way must still be followed
Posted By: tin man 55

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 03:27 PM

Lake Fork scares the hell out of me; not because of the stumps, but because of all the folks that think that just because their boat will do 70-75, that's what they should do. My boat's top end is around 50, but I only do that with fairly calm waters and little boat traffic. otherwise I'm running 40 or so, and the closing rate for someone going 70-75 is dramatic. I just don't trust all the folks with these missiles that they can control their boat at that speed, or if they are even looking at me zipping along at 40. I've been passed by 2 boats at the same time (one right and one left) who look like they are late for something; very dangerous.

not everyone is like that, but too many are.

on a side note, if buoys have been moved and are not in the correct place, who should put them back? SRA? I know there is one out in front of the dam that I think is way out of position.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 03:46 PM

I am always amazed how many people don't know the simple rules of boating on the water. Jet ski operators are the worst IMO. I have practiced defensive driving on the water and on the road. It has kept me out of several accidents. Bottom line, be safe, know the rules, and watch what others are doing.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 03:50 PM

I don't think moving the buoys back to their original positions is an easy task considering the technology they might of had when they were originally positioned? GPS was probably not around then, can they (SRA) go back to the original survey of the lake and do this properly? Sure they can, what liability does (SRA) have if positioned incorrectly by them? Sure its under review but it doesn't seem as though its an overnight fix ither.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 04:21 PM

Before the buoys were placed it was pretty easy to see the boat lane cuts, gasline easements, and road beds the trees were tall. If there were no trees it was clear. I watched the lake being built, drove on the submerged 515 road beds, it looks totally different than it did in 1986 when it hit full pool.. I believe it to be more dangerous now than back then, especially for old farts like me that think they know where their going.. Boat lane chip is advisable for newbee's..

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: LakeForkGroupie
That's it, we need turn signals and review mirrors standard on all boats.

I have one(rearview) on my boat ,
retired on fork 20 years ago , wouldn't be without it
Posted By: Clouser

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 04:29 PM

You think it's bad in boat? Try a kayak or a float tube. Nobody gives chit. I'm very careful on what water I get on.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 04:33 PM

Dunno about a rear view mirror. But I'm constantly amazed how many people make a turn with out checking their six. If you're following someone, never assume they'll look behind them before initiating a turn. I'd say more than 75% of people I encounter on Fork NEVER look behind them while running.
Posted By: Basscat Puma FTD

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 04:52 PM

I agree with this, been fishing Fork for over 16 years and the first few times were with guides who sort of taught me the rules of the road. Regardless the lake, the picture says it all. As for coming up behind another boat, I was taught to pass on the left, why? The drivers seat is on the right, affording the lead driver the best view of the pass boat from their left. I know if someone passes me on the right I am often startled. Additionally if the boat in front of you decides to move off to the right, the boat passing him on the right has no warning. Passing on the left, if the lead boat decides go left you have more reacton time and better escape routes. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Randy Harrell

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 06:20 PM

This. I see a lot of people on fork not give way to people because they are in the boat Lane. They must be thinking that if you are in a marked boat Lane then they have full right of way. I always think about my Navigation lights. They are telling the on coming boat who has the right of way. If you see green, then you maintain course, if you see red, you yield to that boat and steer to the right.
Posted By: Do-Nothin

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 06:24 PM

I know this happens, but every time I hear about it, it baffles me. I never even come close to other boats while running Fork. I suppose the closest is passing someone in the boat lane, even then, I give myself plenty of distance. I suppose I could see where something like this can happen in super low light conditions or with lots of fog. I can't even imagine coming dangerously close to someone while running in my boat. I like to spend my time fishing, not getting sawed in half!!

**I do understand that there are people out there who do not operate this way, and do not err on the side of safety. These situations are so preventable.

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Do-Nothin
I know this happens, but every time I hear about it, it baffles me. I never even come close to other boats while running Fork. I suppose the closest is passing someone in the boat lane, even then, I give myself plenty of distance. I suppose I could see where something like this can happen in super low light conditions or with lots of fog. I can't even imagine coming dangerously close to someone while running in my boat. I like to spend my time fishing, not getting sawed in half!!

**I do understand that there are people out there who do not operate this way, and do not err on the side of safety. These situations are so preventable.

Do nothing, try a sunny blue bird day no wind and almost glass calm. Boat approaching at wot I go right he goes left, I go more right he goes more left, I say oh smack and shut down. He cuts across in front and flys by on the right/starboard side of me, flipping me off, and never takes his foot out of it. Two weeks ago.....happens often and does not have to be bad weather. He obviously did not know the regs ......

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 06:44 PM

If you're going right and he's going right, that's the correct way. I think you meant you went right and on coming went left?

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
If you're going right and he's going right, that's the correct way. I think you meant you went right and on coming went left?

Yeah said it wrong.....I turn right/starboard and he turn left/port into me keeping us head on....lucky I am sitting at desk today. Lol
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Originally Posted By: west tex angler

If folks on this forum were confused about which way to go when approaching another boat, then yea, lets make sure everyone understands the rules.
Or, we could say forget the rules, biggest boat wins.

Im just saying that in high wind with 2-3 ft waves, it is hard for me to even see the buoys. Im not on fork every week, so I really try to watch where I am going. I was on the wrong side of the buoys one time and got flipped off by some jerk. It could have been worse.
By all means lets have fewer rules. That'l work well!

So more regulation and more "government" is a solution?

and FYI a lot of people already get killed on the water
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 07:51 PM

My rule of thumb my grandad taught me when learning to drive a vehicle is always expect the unexpected. I carry that to boating. I try to always be ready for someone to cut me off or turn into me, stop in front of me etc. Those split seconds of being prepared might make a difference.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13

There are allot of dumb guys out there in boats. I have been driving one since i was 10 years old my grandad was an avid sailor and sailed all over the caribbean. I was taught well and am thankful for it.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Randy Harrell

This. I see a lot of people on fork not give way to people because they are in the boat Lane. They must be thinking that if you are in a marked boat Lane then they have full right of way. I always think about my Navigation lights. They are telling the on coming boat who has the right of way. If you see green, then you maintain course, if you see red, you yield to that boat and steer to the right.

look there in every instance you are going to the right side. Just like running the boat lanes stay on the right side of them if you can.

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
There are allot of dumb guys out there in boats.

Most aren't dumb. They're too lazy to read and understand all the maritime "rules of the water". That makes them ignorant, not necessarily dumb.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 09:52 PM

It's simple. I'm a licensed boat captain with the coast guard. Everything is starboard. If you approach another boat head on you go starboard side on your vessel (to the right or drivers side on most bass boats) as does he. If you approach another boat perpendicular you have the right of way if you're coming in on unfit starboard side. If you're intersecting them on their port side then you give up their right away. The reason for this is they may not have a great field of view on their opposite side of the boat as you approach their port side so they retain right of way

So if you're coming head-on at another boat you have two options: you turn starboard of your boat of your boat and your pass each other or you wait for that boat to pass you and then you can turn across the lane and go where you need to go. You can not go in front of that boat since you're already on their port side sounds like the triton had the right of way
Posted By: Uglystik34

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 10:52 PM

Get a go pro to protect your self from people that won't admit its there fault. It seems like a jerk move to go 50+ mph near anyone. If both boats slow down it makes it more predictable to know which way everyone wants to go. Just my view.
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 11:00 PM

In some boat lanes the slower traffic tends to hug the far right side of the lane which allows no room for faster boats to pass to starboard. Narrower lanes can be even more problematic given the fact that as some have mentioned hardly anyone bothers to look back to see what is going on behind them. I will admit that I have passed slower boats in lanes on the port side but not without 1) making sure I have plenty of cushion ahead and behind me in order to make the maneuver safely, and 2) never without getting out of the throttle and swinging wide letting the boat being passed know I'm going around him, signaling them by horn, hand signal or both. Not getting in a hurry and communication with others in your vicinity is key. In 40 years of boat ownership I have never had a close call with overtaking or being overtaken on the water and I consider myself fortunate.

Oncoming boat traffic is a whole different animal and I will avoid it like the plague whenever possible by correcting my coarse as necessary and as soon as possible. I have no problem at all giving someone a wide birth especially if their head isn't on a swivel and they seem to be preoccupied while driving, I never assume anyone is paying attention or wont make a sudden turn in front of me without realizing too late I'm there. The only incident I have ever had with oncoming traffic was when a guy coming at me about 200 yards off my port side decided about 30 seconds too late he needed to cross my line in order to fish a stump field 100 yards off my starboard side. I had to shut it down and no sooner than he crossed me he shut it down too and dropped his TM.
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 11:10 PM

I think they need to paint the bouys lime green or bright orange. The white is hard to see with sunglare or when there is a ripple on the water.

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: crankbait745
I think they need to paint the bouys lime green or bright orange. The white is hard to see with sunglare or when there is a ripple on the water.

I still say remove them , end of problem

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/19/16 11:43 PM

Removing the buoys on Fork sounds wonderful. IF you know your way around Fork w/o them. A couple hundred lowers in a w/e would eliminate 1/3 of the metro-regulars. The following w/e would claim another 20, or so. Could be a fun lake to fish a month or so after. Forget about it because it will NEVER happen.

No telling how many lives and $ of equipment have been saved by those buoys. Suffice it to say, MANY.

After years of drought, Fork filled back in Feb? I believe this is the 3rd major release since then, when she hit 403. Buoys on Fork have definitely moved. Some by as much as 20-30 yards. Relocating the buoys on Fork will take the SRA some time and red tape.

In the meantime, I'd suggest either buying a navaid for boat lanes on Fork. Or follow a friend in areas you're unsure of while plotting a trail. Like that S turn up by Bell.

Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/20/16 12:37 AM

There's an s turn by Bell?? hmmm

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/20/16 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD
There's an s turn by Bell?? hmmm

Not by Bell but north of bell just north of 515 east. I have missed that turn at least 20 times with and without bouys and thank goodness he was looking out and didn't hit anything. Missed it last time earlier this year because there was a bouy that had drifted into timber on a straight line with the last one before the curve and caught myself when I glanced down at gps.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Boating Accident on Fork - 04/20/16 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Dunno about a rear view mirror. But I'm constantly amazed how many people make a turn with out checking their six. If you're following someone, never assume they'll look behind them before initiating a turn. I'd say more than 75% of people I encounter on Fork NEVER look behind them while running.

Hell, 75% of people don't look behind themselves EVER! Boating or not.....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum