Texas Fishing Forum

Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash

Posted By: Kevlee

Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/18/16 11:49 AM

This will be my very first time on the Rayburn. Any information on what to throw for one big bit and what depth of water would be greatly appreciated. Please don't beat me up to bad, if not for people like me willing to donate money these tournaments would not exist.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/18/16 11:57 AM

Funny. Frogs and buzz baits around grass and weeds would be my ticket. Caney,Harvey,Buck,just to name a few. Going to be crowded.

Good Luck. Have Fun, and catch a giant bass.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/18/16 12:45 PM

Lake should rise a couple feet by the weekend, it's already high. Either flip all day or back out and drag a rig around for post spawners
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/18/16 01:22 PM

At least he didnt say he was taking his so and so and had to put them on fish.
Posted By: Troutnout

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/18/16 01:26 PM

Rain is going to make it interesting. Definitely going to be on the rise.. popcorn
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/18/16 02:23 PM

The rain will change anything people thought they found this weekend more than likely. Front coming Friday and saturday with North winds and bluebird skies. Might not take much to cash a check. I predict really tough fishing
Posted By: KutTail71

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/18/16 03:46 PM

Get in the water early as the boat ramps will be a major traffic jam!

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/18/16 03:59 PM

With that many boats on the water it will still take a 5+ to cash checks most hours. Never fails. A few hours will be less but that's a lot lines in the water and alot of fish where guys will be fishing. It was high last year
Posted By: Tyler.Woods

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/18/16 04:01 PM

Went out Saturday and caught a lot flipping, nothing over 4 pounds though. Had better bites out deep
Posted By: Greg J

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/18/16 04:09 PM

I like the buzz bait/frog around shore cover early then move and Graph the underwater points and ridges in 12'-28' feet looking for signs of bait and fish, then drag a c-rig brush hog / lizard watermelon red or similar. Look mid-lake area.

+1 on go early! It's a zoo!

Good Luck!
Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/18/16 04:15 PM

I keep waiting for that "you will be able to walk from boat to boat" comment....
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/18/16 04:17 PM

You'll be able to walk from boat to boat!!

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/18/16 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
You'll be able to walk from boat to boat!!

Maybe if you bring a pair of stilts!!

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/18/16 10:04 PM

Bring your own bush to fish if you plan on fishing shallow...
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/19/16 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Bring your own bush to fish if you plan on fishing shallow...

Good one.
Posted By: 4976sc

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/19/16 02:38 AM

I've never fished one either. How many boats usually fish it?

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/19/16 11:16 AM

Thousands...
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/19/16 11:58 AM

A crowd draws a crowd.

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/19/16 12:36 PM

Tens of thousands.
Posted By: Gogo3417

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/19/16 01:14 PM

Yep. This tournament gets really ridiculous. You won't find me anywhere around Rayburn when the big bass splash is going on, and I only live 45 minutes away.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/19/16 02:49 PM

And expect, if you do catch ANY Fish, to get lots of "Help" and "Company"! They like to come check out what you caught and see if you need any help, and oh by the way, make a few casts on your spot! That is where the Paint Ball gun works wonders!
BUT back to the topic question:
Think of it this way: Do you want to catch lots of fish OR a bigger fish for money? Play the odds and upsize your baits for a higher percentage. Lots of people that catch the big fish are just "Lucky" and have minimal experience. It is not like a typical TOURNAMENT with a limit mentality. It's for one big bite. OR if you want to have fun join all the boats and catch the dinks and MAYBE a good one. Or find WillieKetchum and "HELP" him out catching his fish!!! banana
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/19/16 02:52 PM

Does anyone know the current lake level I saw online it was 2.5 ft high but don't think that is right. Also what was lake level this time last year?
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/19/16 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Kens3313
Does anyone know the current lake level I saw online it was 2.5 ft high but don't think that is right. Also what was lake level this time last year?

http://www.samrayburn.com/level

This shows the daily level for the past three years

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/19/16 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigron119
And expect, if you do catch ANY Fish, to get lots of "Help" and "Company"! They like to come check out what you caught and see if you need any help, and oh by the way, make a few casts on your spot! That is where the Paint Ball gun works wonders!
Think of it this way: Do you want to catch lots of fish OR a bigger fish for money? Play the odds and upsize your baits for a higher percentage. Lots of people that catch the big fish are just "Lucky" and have minimal experience. It is not like a typical TOURNAMENT with a limit mentality. It's for one big bite. OR if you want to have fun join all the boats and catch the dinks and MAYBE a good one. Or find WillieKetchum and "HELP" him out catching his fish!!! banana

I'm going to be in Five Fingers and Norris all weekend flipping grass. Shouldn't be too bad in there.

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/19/16 03:53 PM

That level is correct, they sucked a lot of water out the past couple weeks.

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/19/16 04:11 PM

Cooler temps and a north wind shouldn't help much.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/19/16 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: WillieKetchum
Originally Posted By: Bigron119

I'm going to be in Five Fingers and Norris all weekend flipping grass. Shouldn't be too bad in there.

I will see you there! We are going to Camp at Rayburn Park by the boat ramp spot 23!
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/19/16 11:58 PM

I'm actually going to fish it this year with my grandfathER. Stating at powell park. Taking 4 rods only. Hero or zero.
Posted By: Troutnout

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/20/16 01:50 AM

Last year had 3500 entries.

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/20/16 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Troutnout

Yep. That means 10k boats and you'll be able to walk from boat to boat on 114k acres of water.

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/20/16 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: WillieKetchum
Originally Posted By: Troutnout

Yep. That means 10k boats and you'll be able to walk from boat to boat on 114k acres of water.

10K boats? not everyone fishes from a boat and most boats have two or even three people in them, more like 2K to 3K boats I'd guess.

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/20/16 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: kellisag

http://www.samrayburn.com/level

This shows the daily level for the past three years

Thank you

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/20/16 03:13 AM

Yall think there will be more than 3500 entries this year?
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/20/16 01:02 PM

Yall think there will be more than 3500 entries this year?
Nope I dont think so.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/20/16 02:04 PM

Average 3K-4K entries. I've fished it in the 90's when there were 6500+ entries. before daylight Farmers and Needmore looked like small cities with all the nav lights. I haven't fished it in 5 years and may never fish it again.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/20/16 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: RayBob
Average 3K-4K entries. I've fished it in the 90's when there were 6500+ entries. before daylight Farmers and Needmore looked like small cities with all the nav lights. I haven't fished it in 5 years and may never fish it again.

My only time to fish it (2004 for the 20 year anniversary I think). We were pulling up on our waypoint off of Needmore at 4:30 AM, asked my partner if we were in the wrong place because there shouldn't be that many houses/lights where we were going. Turns out we were probably the 3rd or 4th ROW of boats around the point. Crazy amount of people.
Posted By: Kevlee

Re: Sealy Outdoors Big Bass Splash - 04/21/16 12:31 PM

Thanks for all the info. Headed down tonight.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum