Texas Fishing Forum

Bass Fishing in a Cast

Posted By: lodell23

Bass Fishing in a Cast - 04/15/16 02:39 PM

I broke my left wrist last night and I'll be in a cast for 6-8 weeks. Has anyone on here done it? How difficult is it to fish with a cast on, is it easy to set the hook? (I'm right handed). Not being able to fish for that long would suck but I really don't want to miss my high school regionals tourney because of this! Thanks thumb
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Bass Fishing in a Cast - 04/15/16 02:42 PM

I'd try getting some left handed reels (cast, hold, and set the hook with your right hand/arm) That way, you are just reeling with your left hand. You might end up liking this a lot.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Bass Fishing in a Cast - 04/15/16 02:43 PM

it is different for everyone, my suggestion would be to go down to a local pond and give it a try. I would think if you really wanted to, you could do it
Posted By: BlaiseWeimer

Re: Bass Fishing in a Cast - 04/15/16 02:43 PM

I cut my hand pretty bad last year and had to have 6 stitches and I wore a thick bandage over my left hand and wrist (kinda like a cast) It was difficult to use my right handed bait cast reels because I couldn't really grip the Rod with my left hand but it was much easier to use my spinning reels which are left handed. So I pretty much only fished with a spinning Rod for like 3 weeks... Hope this helps!
Posted By: JaxonsPops

Re: Bass Fishing in a Cast - 04/15/16 05:52 PM

You can do it, with some practice. I did a few years back.
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Bass Fishing in a Cast - 04/15/16 05:52 PM

Having had a orthopedist on speed dial for portions of my life I can agree that the spinning outfit was usually the most ideal setup. Good luck and happy healing.
Posted By: lodell23

Re: Bass Fishing in a Cast - 04/15/16 05:58 PM

Thanks everyone! Definitely gives me some options.
Posted By: bsouth401

Re: Bass Fishing in a Cast - 04/15/16 06:14 PM

No problem!
Posted By: LoneStarHusker

Re: Bass Fishing in a Cast - 04/15/16 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
I'd try getting some left handed reels (cast, hold, and set the hook with your right hand/arm) That way, you are just reeling with your left hand. You might end up liking this a lot.

^^This
Posted By: Preacher Ed

Re: Bass Fishing in a Cast - 04/15/16 07:17 PM

My Industrial Arts/Shop teacher in High School had Polio in his left arm. He was an inspiration to many of us (he is now deceased). Not having much use of his left arm did not stop him from doing anything. He fished for bass and catfish. He learned to cradle the rod in his left arm since he couldn't use his left hand. He was also an excellent wing shot for quail and doves. So, it depends on the desire/heart of the one with the disability. You can do it, I have no doubt!
Posted By: buda13

Re: Bass Fishing in a Cast - 04/15/16 07:22 PM

Hopefully you'll get on a cranking bite, drop shot, or something like that... setting the hook while flipping heavy cover would probably hurt. LOL
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Bass Fishing in a Cast - 04/16/16 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: bsouth401
No problem!

That is a great pic Brian! I love it!!
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Bass Fishing in a Cast - 04/16/16 01:55 PM

Google Clay Dyer if he can still fish sure you can manage.
Posted By: rowlettfisherman

Re: Bass Fishing in a Cast - 04/16/16 02:32 PM

My buddy switched to a spinning reel so he wasn't putting as much pressure on his hook setting arm.
Posted By: BassnJAK

Re: Bass Fishing in a Cast - 04/16/16 04:00 PM

+1 on the spinning reel. I've done it about 3 times. smile
just call me lucky cheers
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Bass Fishing in a Cast - 04/16/16 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: bradnitro175
Google Clay Dyer if he can still fish sure you can manage.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum