Texas Fishing Forum

Reel bearing cleaning

Posted By: Kens3313

Reel bearing cleaning - 04/13/16 02:06 AM

I have 2 shimano curado 200 e7 with ceramic hybrid bearings. I just took them out to clean and re oil them and They are making a wining noise now and I don't know why. All I did was clean them with simplegreen and water 50/50 mixed in an ultrasonic cleaner then sprayed them off with compressed air. and put one drop of light reel oil ive used before. Anyone know why this would happen? Maybe it will get quieter. I do know that when the bearings was new they used to be loud but they got a lot quieter over time. What do yall clean yalls bearings with?
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Reel bearing cleaning - 04/13/16 02:23 AM

I soak mine in lighter fluid. then the compressed air to blow them dry and oil as you mentioned. You may not have got them completely dry and the water is causing a little whine (vibration).
Posted By: basspromaster

Re: Reel bearing cleaning - 04/13/16 02:40 AM

Cyrsmics r typically noisy in the first place.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Reel bearing cleaning - 04/13/16 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: basspromaster
Cyrsmics r typically noisy in the first place.

A clean, properly oiled (one drop of a very light synthetic oil), ceramic bearing is noisy. But, that said, they are really very good.

How's it cast?

Edit....

Like above, use a shot glass full of light fluid. Let them soak overnight. Then blow dry them. Again....one drop of oil.

Re: Reel bearing cleaning - 04/13/16 04:07 AM

I know they are noisy when new. but just wondering why they get loud again after cleaning and oiling one drop? Before I cleaned them they was pretty quiet, I'll have to try it out tomorrow.

Re: Reel bearing cleaning - 04/13/16 04:08 AM

Will try the lighter fluid next time,don't think I'll put it in my ultrasonic cleaner tho lol
Posted By: balata9999

Re: Reel bearing cleaning - 04/13/16 04:21 AM

You can still put it in the ultrasonic cleaner, best way is to put the bearing in a shotglass full of lighterfluid, then put the whole thing in the ultrasonic. Be careful with the compressed air too, if you get the bearing spinning with the compressed air it can damage it.
Posted By: basspro99

Re: Reel bearing cleaning - 04/13/16 09:57 AM

Ken, get you a little glass jar and put some regular acetone in it. Put the glass lid on the jar and put that into the ultrasonic cleaner. I have been doing that way for a long time now. Works well. Ceramic bearings do have some noise if you use one little drop of oil as well.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Reel bearing cleaning - 04/13/16 11:30 AM

Apply a drop of slightly heavier oil.

Re: Reel bearing cleaning - 04/13/16 12:22 PM

I did hear one of the bearing spin real fast while drying. I try to hold them so they won't spin on a ice pick. Thanks for the advice guys ill have to try that. The simple green may not have cleaned them good enough.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum