Texas Fishing Forum

Athens after rain

Posted By: B-Deuces

Athens after rain - 04/12/16 10:23 PM

Was planning to hit Athens tomorrow but it looks like they are getting an inch of rain tonight. Does that lake get pretty muddy after a rain? Any other lakes you would hit instead of that one? Coming from Plano.
Posted By: Jaguar6

Re: Athens after rain - 04/12/16 10:30 PM

Athens is one of the best lakes I have fished during or after the rain. It was really good water over the weekend in areas and a little stained in other areas. An inch of rain on a full lake will probably make it dirty in areas but there will be clear water for sure! Athens always has it. I always do well with topwater and moving baits! Good luck
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Athens after rain - 04/12/16 10:47 PM

Just now moving out to Lake Athens.

My general impressions of why its condition should be less affected by rain and muddy water are:

1) It isn't fed by a major river system bringing in dirty water and debris;
2) It actually has a relatively small watershed as lakes go;
3) It has a lot of sandy soil, so less of the clay and black dirt more prone to creating muddy water;
4) and, it has homes around a significant portion of its shoreline, so run-off is filtering across lawn grass often.

For these reasons, I suspect Lake Athens never gets too muddy.

Brad
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Athens after rain - 04/12/16 11:01 PM

Plus it's filled with grass. It will be fine. High winds affect the water clarity way more than rain. JMHO.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Athens after rain - 04/12/16 11:42 PM

Athens fishes good no matter what
Posted By: larry ford

Re: Athens after rain - 04/12/16 11:43 PM

Inch of rain is nothing for Athens its a great lake, was out there Saturday had an awesome day my partner and I
total of 21 bass biggest 6 1/2 and a 5, wack rig and finesse pinch weight 8" above hook watermelon red fluke and wacky worm and green charteruese finesse trick worm, had alot of blowups on frogs also, but could not stick a one, all fish in grass and edge hope this helps
Posted By: Athens Guide Svc

Re: Athens after rain - 04/13/16 02:05 AM

Unless we get a "Frog Choker", an inch of rain shouldn't dirty the water too much. As Frank said, the grass keeps it fairly clean. I'm starting to catch a few on brush piles and deeper grass as well as on the grass edges. Good luck!

Re: Athens after rain - 04/13/16 02:12 AM

Thanks guys, I'll stick to my plan then and head to Athens!

Re: Athens after rain - 04/13/16 02:17 AM

Is it safe to run pretty much anywhere?
Posted By: Jerry Brown

Re: Athens after rain - 04/13/16 02:22 AM

Stay wide of the points and it's safe to run. Don't run into the backs of coves. A couple with timber in them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum