Texas Fishing Forum

Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics?

Posted By: Tatorbones

Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 02:05 PM

I recently bought my first boat. It is a '94 bass tracker with a 40 hp Evinrude on it. The depth finder is sun faded and you can barely see it when the thing actually turns on. Looking at picking up another depth finder and nothing fancy, but my buddy keeps pressuring me into getting something nicer. How many of you just use a simple depth finder?
Posted By: 96speed

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 02:16 PM

Depends on your definition of "fancy electronics." If you're fishing on new lakes with any regularity a GPS unit is invaluable. Side imaging has changed things dramatically as well. There are a lot of people out there with 12" screens mounted to their boat that they really don't know how to use or take advantage of. Doesn't make them bad or good but if you aren't going to put in the time to learn how to use these units (from research, time on the water, hiring a guide, etc) and money is tight I would look else where.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 02:21 PM

I do not have side imaging, but I don't think I would ever own a boat without at least a 7" screen with GPS and good mapping

Pick up a used Gen 2 HDS-7 for $400 or so.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 02:23 PM

I am not sure they make a simple depth finder any more. LOL I would say it depends on what you want to use it for. I believe if you want to use it to just check depth them buy the cheapest you can. I think if you want to start fishing deeper water and find fish with the unit, or use it to check what is out to your side then look into a better unit. You can get by with a lot less then what most of us buy. I like the bigger units for their size and definition. I use mine more for finding deeper fish. just my .02
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 02:24 PM

I wish I had side imaging or dwonscan or something fancy, but I only run standard graphs with gps. I have a Lowrance x35 at the bow and an Lowrance lms 332c at the console. I probably wouldn't know how to effectively read and use the fancy stuff anyway!!!

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: redskeet100
I wish I had side imaging or dwonscan or something fancy, but I only run standard graphs with gps. I have a Lowrance x35 at the bow and an Lowrance lms 332c at the console. I probably wouldn't know how to effectively read and use the fancy stuff anyway!!!

The DI side by side with 2D sonar will help teach you what they are showing you. They are a great tool. You will be able to see if its a bush or ball of bail real quick.

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 02:32 PM

I will have to look into electronics. One of my pet peeves is to know how to use my equipment properly and to maximum capabilities. There are defiantly benefits to having good electronics on the boat. I just don't want to be over kill. There are ones out there with more capabilities then a swiss army knife.

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Tatorbones
I will have to look into electronics. One of my pet peeves is to know how to use my equipment properly and to maximum capabilities. There are defiantly benefits to having good electronics on the boat. I just don't want to be over kill. There are ones out there with more capabilities then a swiss army knife.

I would suggest getting with someone that is very knowledgeable on fish finders and different brands. I do not know where you live but there is a guy at BPS in Rockwall that is very good and will take you out and teach you. Their is also a Guy on Fork that will do the same. I bring this up for this reason go out with them and see what theses graphs will do then buy the one with only the things you want. You can get some very good graphs in the 7" range for 700 dollar range and you can spent up to 5000,00 for some 15 inch graphs. LOL
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 02:46 PM

I have all the bells and whistles,..3 fish finders etc..
but the other day I was actually using my 'flasher' in 10 feet of
water while trying to catch crappie. Pretty cool watching your jig
and where the fish are...kinda like ice fishing...LOL fish

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 03:00 PM

I appreciate the heads up guys. There is a guy I know who does tournaments and uses some nice electronics. Might just have to tag along with him on a couple of days and see how he uses them.
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 03:03 PM

You need to get three 12's at the console and 2 12's at the bow like that guy Rose has, L.O.L.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 03:07 PM

I could live with a simple 2d sonar and in fact use it the majority of the time. GPS is a pretty useful feature but I really would not want to give up my SI. If you need a ff on your boat to begins with then you will definitely benefit from other features
Posted By: RL206

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix
I am not sure they make a simple depth finder any more. LOL I would say it depends on what you want to use it for. I believe if you want to use it to just check depth them buy the cheapest you can. I think if you want to start fishing deeper water and find fish with the unit, or use it to check what is out to your side then look into a better unit. You can get by with a lot less then what most of us buy. I like the bigger units for their size and definition. I use mine more for finding deeper fish. just my .02

Vexilar makes a real time flasher
Posted By: rtfishn

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 04:48 PM

I use a flasher when I'm running, and a flasher when I drop the trolling motor

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 04:52 PM

Is the flasher to ping for fish pretty much? Flashes when something swims by?
Posted By: rtfishn

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 05:25 PM

Is the flasher to ping for fish pretty much? Flashes when something swims by?
just so I know how deep of water I'm in.
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 05:33 PM

I have an old depth finder think it's a hummingbird tx 300 or something. Does it tell depth and water temperature? Yes. However it's outdated and for $500 I can get the unit on eBay "garmin striker 7 with chirp and side vu". To me that's fancy and will do everything I need it to do. If you don't need it then don't get it. If you're going to fish tournaments or just want a better understanding of what you're fishing then get some "fancy electronics".
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 05:37 PM

Does a fancy one that I only use to look at the depth count?

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 06:34 PM

I would think that it depends what you are using it for. Most boats you buy now come with fairly good electronics stock. When in the past all it really was is a depth finder.

Huckleberry you are like me. My Grandpa would always say that wasn't really fishing if you used technology to find the fish. He would just pick a bank or where he saw structure coming out of the water, read the bank, or what he could see on a clear day to catch fish. Along with that he would not allow a net in the boat. He figured it was part of the fight to get them in the boat, and if they popped the hook he would say that is fishing.
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 08:36 PM

Stick and a string!! thumb
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Lol ur something else my friend
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 10:20 PM

I would think that it depends what you are using it for. Most boats you buy now come with fairly good electronics stock. When in the past all it really was is a depth finder.

Huckleberry you are like me. My Grandpa would always say that wasn't really fishing if you used technology to find the fish. He would just pick a bank or where he saw structure coming out of the water, read the bank, or what he could see on a clear day to catch fish. Along with that he would not allow a net in the boat. He figured it was part of the fight to get them in the boat, and if they popped the hook he would say that is fishing.

What brand of graph catches the fish for you?
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

And an earth worm. If you are afraid of technology, the invention of rods, reels and lures should count too along with the outboard and trolling motor.

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 11:08 PM

I do not have any working electronics. Just try to look around and see what is around, whether it is rock shoreline, branches coming out of the water, lay downs, cover, use my pole and line to check water depth.

What I do would be referred as a opportunist fisherman rather then a idealistic fisherman. In other words I fish when I can get on the water and do not have time to worry about the weather.
Posted By: MV

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 11:13 PM

still have the same graph from 2000. Main thing on one has the temp. on it. Someday maybe color screen partyon
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/12/16 11:19 PM

Nothing fancy here but do have GPS to get me back to my brush piles.
Posted By: Transplant

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/13/16 12:32 PM

PM sent!

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/13/16 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: MV
still have the same graph from 2000. Main thing on one has the temp. on it. Someday maybe color screen partyon

I thought the color screen was just a new gimmick, then I bought one and I was wrong. That was a great advancement in graphing.

Re: Electronics, Who only uses a depth finder and not fancy electronics? - 04/13/16 01:17 PM

I do not have any working electronics. Just try to look around and see what is around, whether it is rock shoreline, branches coming out of the water, lay downs, cover, use my pole and line to check water depth.

What I do would be referred as a opportunist fisherman rather then a idealistic fisherman. In other words I fish when I can get on the water and do not have time to worry about the weather.

Beating the banks is fine in the spring; but it doesn't work at all lakes when the temp starts to heat up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum