Texas Fishing Forum

Beached

Posted By: beermill

Beached - 04/08/16 09:57 PM

After seeing Davy Hite stuck today, have you ever stuck your boat before and how fast were you going when you did?
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Beached - 04/08/16 10:07 PM

A few years ago while pre fishing Lake Istokpoga solo, went
about 100 yards into a sand bar. Had to get out and push/pull.
At same time keep an eye out for gators!!
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Beached - 04/08/16 10:13 PM

Once fully stuck was coming off plane and set down on a sandbar in less than ankle deep water. Took 30 min to push off. Was running one other time about 60 and looked down to less than a foot of watER. Needless to say I trimmed higher and turned FAST.
Posted By: Neal G

Re: Beached - 04/08/16 11:51 PM

For those wanting to see Davy's day: http://www.bassmaster.com/video/davy-hite-stuck-mud-misses-weigh
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Beached - 04/09/16 12:13 AM

Couple of times
Neither one was a good time
Posted By: beeflover

Re: Beached - 04/09/16 12:28 AM

30 yrs ago, I had an ole bass tracker 16v w a 30 hp mariner tiller, it leaked so bad I was always watching back around the drain hole to see how much water was in there. When it got to0 deep I would pull the plug at top speed to let it run out.

So I was lookin down when I hit this sandbar in the Mississippi full speed about 30 mph and I swear the transom bent at least 45 degrees back toward me. Geez I hit hard glad it wasn't rock.

Picked up the motor and drifted off back off the bar and proceeded. Dang rivers are crazy!
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Beached - 04/09/16 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: El Skeeter
A few years ago while pre fishing Lake Istokpoga solo, went
about 100 yards into a sand bar. Had to get out and push/pull.
At same time keep an eye out for gators!!

If one of those afternoon thunderstorms would come along at the right time, you could get a helping push!
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Beached - 04/09/16 11:43 AM

Once on Toledo in the early 80's, pre fishing for a tournament. The boat lanes were not marked as well are they are now or I was young and dumb !!. Thought I was in a boat lane but ran up on a sand bar at 50 miles an hr. My buddy following me was not happy. We both had to get out and push. Some guy pulled up and said..........you guys aren't from around hear are you.

We were stuck in ankle deep water, it was bad. We were a long way from home and first time on Toledo, lived in Corpus at the time.
Posted By: Amberlamps

Re: Beached - 04/09/16 11:51 AM

Been stuck twice. First time in our old nitro on lake Houston. We were moving pretty good and came to a jarring halt. Had to get pulled off by 2 jet skis.

The absolute worst I have been stuck was with a guide in Louisiana. He made a wrong turn in some super shallow water and we got super stuck on top of a natural gas pipeline on an outgoing tide. 5 hours of getting wrecked in the sun in July, no wind, and that nasty sulfur smell. No cell service, had to use the old radio to call in an airboat. Which then came in and proceeded to spray sulfur mud all over us and the boat when it towed us out.
Posted By: Mr. Greensides

Re: Beached - 04/09/16 12:55 PM

realmad
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Beached - 04/09/16 02:08 PM

ran up on a sand bar in a tidal creek pretty far with the tide going out. It took about 5 hours till it reversed enough to get the boat off. Spent the time fishing the "dry" flats . was about 30 years ago
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum