Texas Fishing Forum

Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD?

Posted By: Huckleberry

Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 02:22 PM

Just wondering what everyone thinks about inflatable PFD's. I like the idea about less bulk on your body but I just can't get pass the idea of relying on a mechanical feature to save my life.

We had an incident this weekend on Lake Gaston here in Va. during a tournament where two men were ejected from their boat when they speared a wave in very rough conditions. There are reports that the driver was wearing an inflatable that came off of his body at impact with the water and still can not be found. The other guy was resuscitated and life flighted out.

There are no reports if the inflatable did or did not inflate and I realize if not attached properly that any PFD can be stripped off with impact. Also no reports at what speed they were traveling.

This is the question I ask myself "would you rather be wearing a standard PFD or an inflatable if you were ejected from the boat at 60 / 70 or 80 mph?"

I choose standard.

http://www.rrdailyherald.com/news/breaki...dbbcaee347.html
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 02:26 PM

Standard PFD that can withstand impacts up to 100mph. Have a friend who nose hooked and was ejected at 70+ mph. He was wearing a full PFD. His passenger was wearing an inflatable. My buddy was banged up pretty good but never went under water. His passenger went under water and his inflatable brought him back to the surface. But he was a large man and the inflatable wasn't doing a very good job of keeping his head above the water. Luckily, he remained conscious throughout the ordeal. But what if he hadn't?
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 02:27 PM

I don't. I would rather have the standard jacket protecting my ribs from the impact of hitting whatever I fly into.
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 02:44 PM

I like the comfort of inflatables and use them most often, but when things get bad I keep a couple of standard jackets on board and switch. I have a lot of living left to do and try to minimize the risk whenever I can.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 02:45 PM

Standard. I went to the Mustang 100MPH vest last year. I still wear the inflatable when it is warm and the wind is not bad. The Mustang vest is a very tight fit.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 02:46 PM

I find any type of life jackets to be dangerous wearing and I just don't like to wear them

I don't wear a seat belt in my car either..........

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 02:48 PM

Darwin will catch up to you eventually, RR.
Posted By: FACSR

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 02:51 PM

I don't know about the safety issues of an inflatable, but I was wearing my Onyx jacket the other morning fishing and it self inflated suddenly for no apparent reason, yes I not only had to get another life jacket out but I required a change of cloths also.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 02:57 PM

I wear an inflatable most of the time but it doesn't make me feel "safe." The traditional jackets I have are crummy and cheap, just haven't gotten around to getting a nice pair yet.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 03:02 PM

I feel safer with an inflatable than I do without, but I do not try to fool myself into thinking it is as safe as a good quality traditional vest
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 03:13 PM

I like a standard life jacket, I guess the inflatable would be ok to wear while you are fishing if you cannot swim.
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 03:35 PM

I also like the standard jacket-been wearing it so long it doesn't feel right when I'm on the boat and not wearing it.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 04:43 PM

I can't swim and I wear a standard PFD 100% of the time I'm on the water. I don't want to have to rely on a mechanical device functioning properly to save my life.
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 04:50 PM

I assume you mean when running not fishing. I wear a standard PFD when running it does not matter how fast or when. I have a Mustang Hydrostatic that I wear when fishing and the water temps get around 50-55 degrees. Just don't trust the auto inflate to stay on when running. Right now I don't trust my hydrostatic as the recharge kit expires this year. I have to get it replace before next winter.
Posted By: Mike Prengler

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 05:10 PM

Got thrown out at 70...no kill switch, no jacket on...lucky to be here. Some of you guys know this story.

It's not if, but when gang. Don't tempt it....you really feel like a moron when your boat is cruising away from you and you have no choice but to yell for help.

I would suggest a full jacket.

My saying, clip it an click it.
Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 05:20 PM

I'm very surprised there hasn't been more testing done with inflatables. Heck, it's not rocket science. Give your phone to someone and have them video you jumping into the lake with yours on. I've never even heard of anyone doing this.

I promise y'all, when the water gets warmer, I will do it. You'll get a real life testimony of an inflatable.
Posted By: neverenuf

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 05:26 PM

Offshore model 35lb buoyant inflatable for me. Auto-inflate is extremely reliable when serviced an maintained properly, these models will roll you over and hold you face up in the water if unconscious.
Posted By: trippbo

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: WillieKetchum
I'm very surprised there hasn't been more testing done with inflatables. Heck, it's not rocket science. Give your phone to someone and have them video you jumping into the lake with yours on. I've never even heard of anyone doing this.

I promise y'all, when the water gets warmer, I will do it. You'll get a real life testimony of an inflatable.

There's a ton of videos of folks testing these jackets...
https://youtu.be/9eSBnMF7xhY
I'm still gonna look forward to your test though smile
Posted By: JPeel

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: WillieKetchum

I used to test mine every year, just before it was time to replace the auto-inflate device. But I tested mine by jumping off the side of the boat at rest, not by getting ejected at a high rate of speed.
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 07:18 PM

I'm old school......I like my Skeeter PFD.....
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 07:23 PM

No. I wear the full PFD.

Wasn't there a pro last year that was ejected and knocked unconcience while wearing an inflatable. , I remember something about him sinking to the bottom, he either got himself back up or it finally inflated can't remember which.

Neither scenario sounds appetizing, so big life vest it is.

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 07:25 PM

John Cox, Cohlmeyer.

www.bassfan.com/docktalk_article/14632/cox-on-accident:-it-was-scary-#.VwQRCZwrJdg

Dunno why the link didn't work, but copy/paste to your browser and you can read about it. Cox was wearing a manual inflatable Mustang, not an auto-inflate.
Posted By: Fish hunter 59

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 08:01 PM

In not a very good swimmer, in fact I suck! I think after reading this I'll go to a full PFD while running and still use my auto inflate on somewhat clam days fishing!

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
John Cox, Cohlmeyer.

www.bassfan.com/docktalk_article/14632/cox-on-accident:-it-was-scary-#.VwQRCZwrJdg

Dunno why the link didn't work, but copy/paste to your browser and you can read about it. Cox was wearing a manual inflatable Mustang, not an auto-inflate.

Ah that was it. Yeahhhh, I'll stick with my full size. Not going to trust that I'll be able to pull the lever if I get ejected running WOT.
I've had a couple of auto deploys blow up just sitting in the rod locker also. It's like wearing a time bomb.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 09:34 PM

Why like a time bomb? They don't hurt a user. I'd rather have one be too sensitive about deployment than not sensitive enough!

I would never wear a manual-inflate only vest; no tournament participant should be allowed to do so in my opinion. Ejection from a boat and entering the water at speed isn't a situation where a user can be aware enough to remember to pull an inflate cord.

BTW, the directions for care say don't store the vest in a humid environment (such as a rod locker, which gets humidity from the typically not dry bilge). The firing mechanism uses a water-dissolvable disc so sensitive that humidity will degrade it over time. Improper storage by the user who doesn't follow care instructions is why vests typically deploy unintended. There are also vests that deploy based on pressure from submersion, not the water itself. Those are far less affected by humidity, and don't fire if subjected to intense rainfall.

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
Why like a time bomb? They don't hurt a user. I'd rather have one be too sensitive about deployment than not sensitive enough!

I would never wear a manual-inflate only vest; no tournament participant should be allowed to do so in my opinion. Ejection from a boat and entering the water at speed isn't a situation where a user can be aware enough to remember to pull an inflate cord.

BTW, the directions for care say don't store the vest in a humid environment (such as a rod locker, which gets humidity from the typically not dry bilge). The firing mechanism uses a water-dissolvable disc so sensitive that humidity will degrade it over time. Improper storage by the user who doesn't follow care instructions is why vests typically deploy unintended. There are also vests that deploy based on pressure from submersion, not the water itself. Those are far less affected by humidity, and don't fire if subjected to intense rainfall.

That's probably all that happened to mine. My full size doesn't explode and make loud noises that make me want to jump in the water. That kind of time bomb rather than physical harm time bomb.
roflmao
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 11:34 PM

Yes
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 11:49 PM

For all you that prefer standard vests, stop buying my inflatable. Supply and demand can then get my out of pocket down! coach

Yes, I feel safe with one!
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/05/16 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: COHLMEYER

That's probably all that happened to mine. My full size doesn't explode and make loud noises that make me want to jump in the water. That kind of time bomb rather than physical harm time bomb.
roflmao

Explode?! Lol. Hardly.

I have a manual/auto HIT. It is perfectly safe....and dependable. I have an auto/manual disc style. It's perfectly safe too. It doesn't explode. Neither do. It's more like shaking a hot soda and opening the cap. Trust me. I've had the disc one go off slipping at a boat ramp. I looked like a fool....other than that, it was kinda nice to know it works well.

I don't like wearing a heavy, hot full PFD. I don't like wearing them so much that this is WHY I bought an inflatable in the first place. So I would actually wear it. It is light, easy to use, and I forget it is on. I forget is why it went off at the ramp! I obviously didn't need it on to load the boat. Habit and the fact that it's easy to wear.

I say this though.

The inflatable style does nothing to protect you from impacts in the event that you have a bad crash in the boat or get ejected into a tree stump. Lol the regular vest style, I'm sure, would probably protect vital organs better than nothing. The only negatives to them would be the heat and floating face down.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
I find any type of life jackets to be dangerous wearing and I just don't like to wear them

I don't wear a seat belt in my car either..........

Not too smart....
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 12:23 AM

A game warden told me that the auto inflate life vest does not qualify as a life preserver unless you wear it all the time in the boat.
Posted By: Cevin

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 12:39 AM

For any of you that wear the inflatable, spend the money and jump in the water with it on. It's worth every penny to know what to expect. I fell out of the boat with an auto inflate on. The water was about 55 degrees, the cold knocked my breath out then the right side of the vest blew up in my face which knocked my head to the left the a second later the left side blew up and smashed my head back the other direction. It was disorienting on top of the cold water shock. As for the aftermath, the vest held me upright and above the water as I had to sit still for a minute to re-orient myself.

I trust the vest but I highly recommend knowing for yourself what will happen when the emergent situation takes place.

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
A game warden told me that the auto inflate life vest does not qualify as a life preserver unless you wear it all the time in the boat.
that is correct....you also HAVE TO HAVE a regular PFD on board for each auto inflate being used. It isn't either/or.
Posted By: JT Evans

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 12:46 AM

No not at all. My Dad being concerned for me bought me a Mustang for X-mas a few years ago. And even though he is 77 wears his and likens it to the "Mae West" when he was in the Navy. I wore it a few times and stored it in the rod box and after a rain it blew up.

But I don't trust it and will stay with the KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle. Wearing my normal STERNS PFD its dummy (and Chinese) proof.

Too many things can happen at 60-70. Floaters etc. My neighbor fast idled into a cove at Fork years ago and ended up rolling out of his boat when he hit a stump on the left side.
Posted By: NCSkeeter

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 12:59 AM

I wouldn't trust mine for high speed accidents. I wear it when I'm by myself and the trolling motor's in the water. I have a neoprene water sports jacket I wear when the gas engine is running.

As a side note, as my oldest daughter is getting older I am realizing it's hard to explain why mommy and daddy don't have to wear a life jacket, but she does. Maybe there's something to learn from that...

Weird seeing a post about LKG on TFF... I was up there Sunday and the conditions were really bad. I stayed at the dock, but could see the white capping rollers goin from Eaton's Ferry bridge down lake to where the accident was.

Prayer's for the families. I understand that the gentleman that was found was wearing a life jacket, but may have still sustained pretty severe injuries. Don't underestimate the danger of cold water.

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
that is correct....you also HAVE TO HAVE a regular PFD on board for each auto inflate being used. It isn't either/or.

WRONG, total misinformed BS. Don't get your info from public forums, more misinformation than fact. It depends on what coast guard classification your inflatable pfd is.

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: neverenuf

WRONG, total misinformed BS. Don't get your info from public forums, more misinformation than fact. It depends on what coast guard classification your inflatable pfd is.

neverenuf is correct. When this discussion came up previously, I spoke directly with the boating enforcement group for TPWD in Austin. I was assured that any inflatable with the proper classification (specifically, not TYPE V) counts in and of itself when in the boat. It does not have to be worn to count if it is TYPE II or TYPE III, for instance. They even wanted to know if I had been told this by a game warden, and they wanted his name if so - so that they could give him correct information.

The old wives' tale about "you gotta wear it for it to count" applies if your PFD is a TYPE V product. The label will tell you, and it will also point out that it must be worn to count as a Type III PFD in recreational use. The earliest inflatables years ago were all TYPE V. While there probably are still some TYPE V PFDs in use, and even sold, most of today's leading products are Type III or TYPE II. The dated info some of you have doesn't apply to TYPE II or TYPE III PFDs.

It may be that they must be readily accessible if not worn, where I understand that "accessible" means "not locked in a compartment", but I didn't have a discussion with them about that specific requirement that applies to all PFDs equally.

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 01:47 AM

If you have his name, call Austin TPWD and they'll be sure to inform him of the actual regulations.

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 01:50 AM

Thanks for the clarification guys! I can now pull two old moldy [censored] jackets out of my boat. Lol. Space for more stuff!

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
Just wondering what everyone thinks about inflatable PFD's. I like the idea about less bulk on your body but I just can't get pass the idea of relying on a mechanical feature to save my life.

We had an incident this weekend on Lake Gaston here in Va. during a tournament where two men were ejected from their boat when they speared a wave in very rough conditions. There are reports that the driver was wearing an inflatable that came off of his body at impact with the water and still can not be found. The other guy was resuscitated and life flighted out.

There are no reports if the inflatable did or did not inflate and I realize if not attached properly that any PFD can be stripped off with impact. Also no reports at what speed they were traveling.

This is the question I ask myself "would you rather be wearing a standard PFD or an inflatable if you were ejected from the boat at 60 / 70 or 80 mph?"

I choose standard.

You wear a seat belt in your vehicle, correct? I bet you really count on that to contribute to saving your life if in an accident? That seat-belt has an inertial reel that must lock during sudden acceleration or deceleration. If you don't trust mechanical features, you need to get a race shop to install the old type that you must manually adjust - get rid of that inertial reel. Oh, and those air bags - rather complex mechanical feature there too - their failure is extremely rare....

Ever been on an elevator? Better start taking the stairs!

You certainly have a choice, and I respect that. But, the assurance of operation is taken extremely seriously by manufacturers and the Coast Guard, which regulates the products. It's not really any different than other safety measures we count on in our daily lives.

In my opinion, and from what I've read in reliable info, it seems the most likely problem with high speed boat exit is coming out of a PFD, which can happen to many types. It can depend on how you use it. The best fix for that is one I see racers use, but rarely recreational boaters - a crotch strap. My better grade traditional flotation vests came with them, but I rarely used them. Maybe I should add them to the inflatable vest I use.

I read a USCG report about accidents/drowning, and one topic in there was one not often discussed - those who drown WHILE WEARING a PFD! Sadly, there were more than I expected. Some of them drowned due to being unconscious or incapacitated when they entered the water; their PFD failed to turn them face up. NOTE: TYPE III PFDs, which includes virtually all sport vest PFDs, may not turn the wearer face up. You can readily drown wearing such a vest, as the report pointed out. Many of the better inflatable vests sold today are Type II, which has a higher classification for righting an unconscious wearer, so they are actually BETTER in this respect. Most traditional flotation sport vest PFDs also are near the minimum buoyancy while the better inflatables have about double that buoyancy. The report said those with PFDs that have a higher freeboard are more likely to survive longer in rough waters. Some of those PFD users who drowned did so because of exhaustion and water accumulation in their lungs when not immediately rescued - they eventually succumbed by drowning due to waves splashing in their face. I kinda like my 35 pound buoyancy TYPE II vs. my 18 pound buoyancy TYPE III for reasons such as these.

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 02:26 AM

A type II inflatable is much better than a type III wearable that most boaters wear. Much more buoyancy and will turn most face up if unconscious. I'm willing to bet no one reading this wears a type I or II non-inflatable.
Posted By: storming rod

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 01:43 PM

I recommend wearing a regular PFD when the boat is running and an inflatable (it must have an indicator or don't purchase)when fishing with the trolling motor down. I have been throw out of the boat twice while fishing as well as running at 40 mph, so each time the jacket saved my life to fish another day.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 01:56 PM

The inflatables have to be better, have you ever flown in a 747, that is all they have on board for you to use in case the plane goes down. grin
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 05:38 PM

Seat cushions
Posted By: Fish hunter 59

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 05:55 PM

I've got a question, who has time to write a 3 and 4 paragraph answer? Really not a slam on anyone just can't find that kind of time. Just wear some type of PFD any is better than nothing!
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: neverenuf

neverenuf is correct. When this discussion came up previously, I spoke directly with the boating enforcement group for TPWD in Austin. I was assured that any inflatable with the proper classification (specifically, not TYPE V) counts in and of itself when in the boat. It does not have to be worn to count if it is TYPE II or TYPE III, for instance. They even wanted to know if I had been told this by a game warden, and they wanted his name if so - so that they could give him correct information.

The old wives' tale about "you gotta wear it for it to count" applies if your PFD is a TYPE V product. The label will tell you, and it will also point out that it must be worn to count as a Type III PFD in recreational use. The earliest inflatables years ago were all TYPE V. While there probably are still some TYPE V PFDs in use, and even sold, most of today's leading products are Type III or TYPE II. The dated info some of you have doesn't apply to TYPE II or TYPE III PFDs.

It may be that they must be readily accessible if not worn, where I understand that "accessible" means "not locked in a compartment", but I didn't have a discussion with them about that specific requirement that applies to all PFDs equally.

this
Posted By: breauxmule

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 06:28 PM

Guys, I was lucky enough to pull this man out of the water a while back. His inflatable did not go off. What we found out later was the cylinder was empty, and there is a manual Valve in the back like a straw. He had worn it for 15 years

http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-News+Local/231304/sailor-searches-for-mystery-fisherman-who-saved-him
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 06:51 PM

Traditional, full PFD for me.
Posted By: militarybrat

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: M. Alexander aka deuce41
Traditional, full PFD for me.

That is me too 100 mph jacket.

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: breauxmule
Guys, I was lucky enough to pull this man out of the water a while back. His inflatable did not go off. What we found out later was the cylinder was empty, and there is a manual Valve in the back like a straw. He had worn it for 15 years

http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-News+Local/231304/sailor-searches-for-mystery-fisherman-who-saved-him

God is good! Thank you, sir!
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 10:50 PM

You are a HERO sir!
Posted By: Neal G

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry

I choose standard.

No, I really do not feel as safe with the ~$250 auto inflate that I purchased so I am in the market for a high quality standard.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/06/16 11:27 PM

I use standard jacket when moving at high speeds. The only time I really ever use my Mustang is when I am fishing in open water in windy and rough conditions or when water is cold.

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/07/16 02:05 AM

15 years with no service! Would you use your traditional pfd after 15 years? Glad he was ok, but that's just dumb.

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/07/16 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

You are a HERO sir!

Of course it did not "go off" as there was nothing to "go"! The owner instructions don't tell you to look for that green indicator for nothing! The only failure in this case was one of intelligence. He was lucky enough someone came along at the right time.

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/07/16 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Fish hunter 59
I've got a question, who has time to write a 3 and 4 paragraph answer? Really not a slam on anyone just can't find that kind of time. Just wear some type of PFD any is better than nothing!

Fish-hunter, I have always found the topic interesting. I've served as First Mate on a commercial dive boat on the Atlantic coast, have divemater & rescue ratings, and have made use of them to help others in distress. I've helped in location and recovery, so it's a topic I've experienced up close & personal.

I'm also dealing with a medical issue that has greatly curtailed my physical activity, so I sometimes spend time reading/learning and also on the TFF rather than be bored senseless staring at a wall. I'd love to trade places with you, but I don't think you'd like it. If one person gained something positive from what I wrote, I am pleased. That good enough?
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/07/16 12:27 PM

I prefer the 100 mph conventional style pfd
Posted By: trippbo

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/10/16 03:45 PM

Ok boys I will ask this...with all of this concern about being thrown out of the boat at speed and needing a full life jacket...if you feel this is a legit possibility why not wear a helmet as well??
One guy mentioned hitting a tree after being ejected and hopefully being protected by his pfd, but it seems so much more likely one would receive a deadly or brain-damaging injury without a helmet. Just curious if folks even think about them.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/10/16 04:48 PM

I wear a Mustang auto-inflatable (inflates by immersion in 4 inches or more of water) every minute on the water. And with my Bass Tracker and 50 HP motor, 20 - 25 MPH is haulin' it!

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/10/16 04:53 PM

Not really
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/11/16 12:13 AM

I guess so because i wear one every time I go out fishing and I wear it all day long. Fall out, hit a stump, get knocked unconscious and it will save your life.
Posted By: big fish2

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 04/11/16 02:38 AM

Mine worked when it fell in the water so I assume its fine.
Posted By: chickenfried76

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 05/31/16 12:45 PM

Update.
The BPS inflatable works great. I tested it this weekend in the pool.

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 05/31/16 03:32 PM

I dont trust them.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 05/31/16 03:34 PM

I wear the full size life jacket. Just makes more sense to me the inflatables have come a long way in reliability but I'll stick with the old tried and true one.

BTW, RR you don't need safety devices. Your 10' tall and bullet proof and can walk on water, so you're good.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 05/31/16 04:04 PM

I just ordered a few of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Search-Rescue-Comfort-Vest/dp/B017JSKOMY

Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 05/31/16 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson

JP - Thanks for this info. Think I am going to look into one of these myself.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 05/31/16 09:47 PM

I like the reflective tape in case someone was looking for you at night and the mesh makes sense for Texas heat. They may not be the coolest looking PFDs, but I'll take function over style when it comes to safety.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 05/31/16 09:59 PM

In weather like we have right now, no I don't feel comfortable wearing a inflatable vest. I have had them deploy while in the storage compartment more than once in rainy or super humid conditions. I went back to the old BPS standard PFD..
They are ok in the cooler part of the year, but hot in summer for sure.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Do you feel safe wearing an inflatable PFD? - 05/31/16 10:25 PM

I wear an inflatable when on the go only. Take it off to fish. I wasn't concerned about my safety until now...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum