Texas Fishing Forum

Floro leader to braid

Posted By: csbrad58

Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 12:19 AM

So how many of y'all actually do this and have confidence in it? I've used the double uni knot and Alberto knot. I have about 20% hook up and the rest of the time it breaks or I guess comes loose. What do y'all use?
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 12:31 AM

Ive had terrible luck with Uni-Uni but since getting the Alberto down pat, I've not broken a leader off.
Posted By: Jobucko

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 12:32 AM

I use fluorocarbon leaders on all my rigs and all my rigs have braid. I am using 10#-30# braid and 15#&20# flurocarbon leader. I tie a surgeon's knot and have never lost a fish due to the knot failing. On rare occasions the surgeons knot will fail if I am snagged badly enough but most of the time the leader will break well below the knot.
Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 12:38 AM

Alberto 100% confidence for me

Alright thanks guess I'll try the surgeons next. My buddy ties the Alberto and never has a problem so I guess just getting it down a 100% makes that much of a difference. Would be nice to find something and have some confidence with it.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

My Alberto knots always have held. I just have a hard time tying it up. Thumbs get in the way with my fingers I guess. Pretty frustrating for me anyways but it's a good knot

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 12:58 AM

I believe it is but I guess I'm doing something wrong with it
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 01:15 AM

Crazy Alberto Knot, been using it for two years, not a single failure.
Posted By: Boomstickfishing

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 01:29 AM

This is the only way I rig my reels I use the fg knot
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 01:56 AM

I LOVE the Alberto knot & have 100% confidence in it.

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 02:27 AM

I'm gonna try that fg knot out. Sucker looks intense
Posted By: Randy Harrell

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 03:07 AM

I used the double uni for 4 years with good success. Only twice did I break off on a fish, but I lost plenty of leaders when snagged on rocks and stumps. I have recently switched to the FG and it is awesome. I have yet to break off a leader. It has always broke off near the hook as it should. Super strong and thin for going through the eyes on your rod.

I use 30# braid and 20# flouro.

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 04:13 AM

I've noticed a couple of y'all say 30# braid. I've always just used 50lb for whatever I'm doing unless it's on a spinning reel. Why do y'all prefer the lesser lb braid?
Posted By: dandeeks

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 01:33 PM

I use the Uni Knot. It does not break for me.
Posted By: photofishin

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: csbrad58
I've noticed a couple of y'all say 30# braid. I've always just used 50lb for whatever I'm doing unless it's on a spinning reel. Why do y'all prefer the lesser lb braid?

I've yet to hook a bass I couldn't turn with 30lb braid. It's lighter and casts better. As far as the alberto knot, the key, I've found is to use the dull side of a knife and strip away the outer slick coating of the first 8 inches or so of line. Tie is exactly like in the video and you'll never have one break at the knot.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 01:42 PM

I just recently started using the Alberto, so much easier and cleaner than the double uni I used in the past.
Posted By: KBW

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 01:44 PM

A dab of superglue on a double uni seems to stop any slipping.
Posted By: RudyDep

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: KBW
A dab of superglue on a double uni seems to stop any slipping.

I lost two keeper fish on Amistad this weekend along with two of my favorite baits due to that double uni knot slipping...never dawned on me to use a drop of superglue (which I use to keep trailers on my jig and spinnerbaits...its always available)...DUH !!!! bang
Posted By: Randy Harrell

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: csbrad58

I am running 30 on Spinning set up
Posted By: Aggie34

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 09:07 PM

I fish braid a lot. Not having a lot of confidence in if fish can see braid or not I tend to fish with a leader 90% of the time. Most rods have 20-30lb braid to a 10-17lb leader. I have switched to nothing but the fg knot and have never had a knot break
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper
Crazy Alberto Knot, been using it for two years, not a single failure.

+1

Wrap the braid around the fluoro with the braid--the braid really digs in and won't come loose. A good line to hook knot with the fluoro (palomar, pitzen, San Diego Jam, doubled uni) will fail before the crazy alberto.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 09:20 PM

Double Double Uni

Posted By: Troutnout

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 09:42 PM

I've been using the double uni since my Redfish Cup days.... Never had any troubles with it... Now that I bass fish I've had the same good luck...
Posted By: WormWorker

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/04/16 09:56 PM

I use floro for more sensitivity. Do you loose feel with the floro leader backed with braid?
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/05/16 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: WormWorker
I use floro for more sensitivity. Do you loose feel with the floro leader backed with braid?

The sensitivity is awesome with braid and flouro leader.
Posted By: Hogger Head

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/05/16 05:03 PM

I use the FG knot with braid to flouro works great knot has never failed.
Posted By: Kick

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/05/16 06:25 PM

I used a uni knot exclusively for years without ever having a failure. 22# Northern pike plus many 8-15 #er's, 20-30# striper (rockfish in the Chesapeake), 50# Cobia in the Chesapeake...never had a problem with this knot.
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/05/16 06:37 PM

Try this website. It has several ways to tie the Alberto knot. I was tying it wrong.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=alberto+knot
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/05/16 06:42 PM

Double hangman's knot.
Simple, quick, won't slip or break.
Posted By: gutcheck

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/05/16 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Troutnout
I've been using the double uni since my Redfish Cup days.... Never had any troubles with it... Now that I bass fish I've had the same good luck...

Yep... first fell in love with fishing at the coast... Uni to Uni was the norm for 35 plus inch reds back then if it was tied right... once caught a 39 pound jack off the north jetty at PA with 30 pound power pro and a 17 pound copolymer leader... melted the drag on the penn SS but the uni to uni held! Been a bass guy for 10 years and while ive had a few failures they were tying errors, not knot failures. Just haven't felt the need to try the newfangled knots. I'll use 60 braid with 25 fluoro with a uni/uni on clear water in heavy grass and it won't fail if you're careful tying it. The key is practice tying it until you can do it with your eyes closed.
Posted By: Troyz

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/05/16 10:28 PM

Are yall using floro leader material or regular floro line?
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/06/16 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Fork-Legend211
Alberto 100% confidence for me

+1

If you are having problems with this knot, you are doing something wrong.
Posted By: cfisch007

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/06/16 12:53 PM

I use the yucatan and the Alberto. Yucatan is smaller, and I wrap leader around the braid, which is opposite of how its taught but it slips if done the other way.
Posted By: tyingknots

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/06/16 05:32 PM

Alberto all the way. It moves cleanly thru the guides cause it is encased inside the braid. Don't be afraid to clip it as close to the knot as possible. The double uni is a little bulky thru the guides. I've got snagged a few times and lost the bait but not at the junction of lines.
Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/07/16 12:45 PM

If an Alberto slips it's because you didn't run the tag end through the loop the same direction the line initially went through. Don't ask me how I know this....

I've been using the Alberto for about 4 years now tying 20# Sufix 832 to 8# & 10# fluoro on my crappie rods. I've hung up more times than I can even begin to remember and only broke the line to leader knot maybe 4-5 times over those years. Also caught a few big catfish and, again, never a line to leader failure.
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/07/16 12:48 PM

albright knot
Posted By: Possumkingdomtackle

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/07/16 01:01 PM

How many wraps do yall use on the Alberto knot I did it last night using 10 wraps each way and it was a little bit bulky I was wondering if it would work just as well with maybe 5 wraps each direction
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/07/16 01:10 PM

7up 7down
Posted By: District Paddle

Re: Floro leader to braid - 04/07/16 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: gutcheck
Originally Posted By: Troutnout

Yep... first fell in love with fishing at the coast... Uni to Uni was the norm for 35 plus inch reds back then if it was tied right... once caught a 39 pound jack off the north jetty at PA with 30 pound power pro and a 17 pound copolymer leader... melted the drag on the penn SS but the uni to uni held! Been a bass guy for 10 years and while ive had a few failures they were tying errors, not knot failures. Just haven't felt the need to try the newfangled knots. I'll use 60 braid with 25 fluoro with a uni/uni on clear water in heavy grass and it won't fail if you're careful tying it. The key is practice tying it until you can do it with your eyes closed.

This.

I don't think it has so much to do with knot preference as it does knot perfection.

You just have to practice a bunch and get your knots down perfectly.

I use a uni to uni as well with a number of different line size combinations.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum