Texas Fishing Forum

Fort Hood Training Area Ponds

Posted By: big91whiskey

Fort Hood Training Area Ponds - 04/02/16 02:13 AM

I am stationed at Hood, and like to fish the ponds, as I do not have a boat. I have found decent ones that produce 2 pound bass but not in any volume. Anyone here fish these ponds? Have tips on where to go? Fishing from the bank and just want to improve my number of catches per outing. I catch decent size bass, but seems like it takes all day to land 2 good size fish. Thanks.
Posted By: 03svtsnakevert

Re: Fort Hood Training Area Ponds - 04/02/16 03:57 AM

Henry is pretty good but you'll need/want/should have a kayak
Posted By: skeeter17584

Re: Fort Hood Training Area Ponds - 04/02/16 10:09 AM

Big91 I would suggest you contact one of the Ft Hood Game Wardens for info to which tanks are best producers. When I was there in 2001 there were over 150 tanks throughout the training area. Some were loaded with panfish, some with catfish and a few with LM Bass. Good Fishing!
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Fort Hood Training Area Ponds - 04/02/16 02:26 PM

This does not help you but we used to fish the ponds on a Fort Hood many years ago , it was fantastic as said above contact the personnel , we hung out a lot at Rod & Gun Club , good info there too , but again long time ago .
Posted By: big91whiskey

Re: Fort Hood Training Area Ponds - 04/03/16 04:06 PM

Thanks. I have been going to the Rod and Gun Club occasionally and weighing my fish. They're starting to know my face. I figure I'll start asking for intel soon. I am going to try Clear Creek Lake today for a couple hours today I think.
Posted By: illest23

Re: Fort Hood Training Area Ponds - 04/04/16 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: big91whiskey
Thanks. I have been going to the Rod and Gun Club occasionally and weighing my fish. They're starting to know my face. I figure I'll start asking for intel soon. I am going to try Clear Creek Lake today for a couple hours today I think.

Curious why you take the fish to Sportsman to weigh? Is there a tournament or something?
Posted By: HOTBAMike

Re: Fort Hood Training Area Ponds - 04/23/16 05:10 AM

Yeah, they were having a big bass contest. Hated the fact that most of them died or people didn't care to try and keep them alive for a $2 entry fee. Should've been picture weigh in with a scale they could verify is zeroed. Thinks there's gotta be a better way.
Posted By: HOTBAMike

Re: Fort Hood Training Area Ponds - 04/23/16 05:21 AM

Sportsman's will give you info on recently stocked tanks. I hit up Engineer Lake because it's got a road you can skirt the lake on, but offers good spots throughout the day. While a kayak would be great, the shoreline offers brush, laydowns, points, flats, and plenty of shade.

Just last week. Rage Tail Green Pumpkin craw, texas rigged, 4lb test....

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum