Posted By: Fishinkev

best rod out there? - 03/29/16 01:36 AM

What manufacturer is the best? I like a lite and sensitive rod
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 01:36 AM

popcorn
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 01:37 AM

That's like asking who makes the best boat?

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
That's like asking who makes the best boat?

popcorn to that too
Posted By: Black Bass Blake

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 01:44 AM

I'm sponsored by MeLoomis
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 01:44 AM

Ask Steve MCQueen his opinion since he thinks his is the only right one on here. He has all the right answers for you.

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 01:47 AM

Doesn't matter, I hate diawa, but he has always been cool on my posts
Posted By: Slade

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 01:49 AM

You will get a lot of responses but power tackle is hard to beat.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 01:52 AM

G. Loomis NRX. There's all the others, then there's NRX
Posted By: Tyler.Woods

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 01:54 AM

I have recently tried Level rods. They're pretty dang good. Check them out.

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 01:56 AM

Is this question asked regardless of rice, or is there a range?
Posted By: Black Bass Blake

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 01:57 AM

I can't afford a fleet of NRX's so I go for value. I have over 15 set ups. The ones I find in my hand the most is my Halo flipping stick, my Savvy 734, but most of all I have 2 , 7 foot m/h original black Carbonlites, they are so versatile I use those the most. Summertime I have a couple of Castaway go2 heavy rods that I C-rig with and. Duckett 7'6 m/h cranking rod for 6xd's. My sguare bill rod is an old Carrot Stick.

I know this doesn't help much.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 01:58 AM

Power Tackle
fish
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 02:10 AM

The one in my hand the most is a Kistler.

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 02:24 AM

Sorry guys, I do have a range. 200 per rod.
Posted By: Shaun Lowe

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 02:27 AM

G Loomis NRX and Kistler Z-Bone are the most sensitive I have used. The Phenix K2 is a very close second.
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 02:30 AM

G Loomis NRX
Posted By: Brad Dunn

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 02:36 AM

Uglystick!
Posted By: Darryl Roach

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 02:45 AM

Everyone has their own preference and opinion, so finding out which company is the best is nearly impossible. There are so many rod manufacturers these days and almost everyone of them make a quality product. The best thing is for you to decide what's best for you.

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 03:04 AM

$200 price range clears things up quite a bit. Rules out NRX, Power Tackle and Z-bones for sure. Actually rules out G. Loomis, although they do make rods in that range such as GL2 and EX6, they are not even competitive with other rods in that range. Personally, I have found that there are sub $100 rods that compete and quiet often outperform many of the $200 range sticks. Academy Ethos rods are lighter and more sensitive than many rods costing multiples of their cost. I have bought and sold/given away so many rods in the $200 range that I steer clear of them, just not a good value. Possibly the only thing in that range might be a Shimano Zodias. I picked up a 6'10" MH a while back and while it is light and sensitive it seems to stay in the rod box 90% of the time. I was playing with my son's Ethos 6'6" MH the other day and it compares nicely with my Loomis IMX. He got it at the rod riot for $245 less than my G. Loomis IMX. Go figure??

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 03:21 AM

Guys, I love the sensitivity and weight of my bucoos. But today one broke on the hookset and it made me angry. It splintered between the 2nd and 4th eye from the tip. Anyone else have these problems.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 03:27 AM

For $200 you can get a really high quality rod built on a nice blank.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 03:29 AM

Rods have a life span. If you want sensitivity and lightness, you give up dependability. Level fishing rods are designed to be dependable. The rods are wrapped here in Texas. They are also American blanks. For under 200$ they are the best. The Academy ethos are great except 1 out of 10 is splined correctly. The reel seats are held on by little epoxy, and the eyes are very cheap. I depend on my rods to get me threw weeks of fishing at a time. I use mainly custom built, but Level is the closest thing to custom for under 200$.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 03:30 AM

I'm a Loomis guy

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 03:30 AM

What Jaret said.

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo
Rods have a life span. If you want sensitivity and lightness, you give up dependability. Level fishing rods are designed to be dependable. The rods are wrapped here in Texas. They are also American blanks. For under 200$ they are the best. The Academy ethos are great except 1 out of 10 is splined correctly. The reel seats are held on by little epoxy, and the eyes are very cheap. I depend on my rods to get me threw weeks of fishing at a time. I use mainly custom built, but Level is the closest thing to custom for under 200$.

Actually, Academy Ethos rods are using Fuji Alconite guides. I have a 7'6" XH that I've slammed for several years using braid and can't find a thing to complain about. Went through several at the Conroe Academy to find one that was right but for the money it's been a better rod than others that cost 3-4 times the price. It made the cut when numerous far more expensive rods like Falcon and Phoenix, etc. went to the wayside. No, it's not a PG 104.5 or NRX 895 but for it's purpose of close quarters battle stick, it's earned it's place in the BassCat.
Posted By: C.J

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 03:53 AM

Hands down best rod out IMO Power Tackle Rods!

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 03:58 AM

You basically have 3 options. 1. Batson/rainshadow 2.northfork 3. China.

If I'm missing one please add it.
Posted By: danwill12

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 04:14 AM

ALX is an all American builder he uses all top notch stuff, you can see it at Tackle Warehouse. His Frog Rod and and Pitching rod are great.
Posted By: Stephen Fatherree

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 06:00 AM

It's hard to beat a St. Croix Rod! Some are available for sale at Oakridge Marina on Lake Fork. Bass Pro Shops also carries a wide selection of St. Croix Rods and others. The Mojo Bass, Avid, and Legend Tournament Series are my favorites! Regardless of which brand you choose, compare the different manufactures warranty policies and fees before spending over $150 on a bass fishing rod. Also compare the actual technology used in creating the rod blanks, you will be surprised on what info you can, and cannot find depending on the rod company. I have some St. Croix Avid Series Rods that are 15 years old and have NEVER had an issue, not a single guide insert pop out, nothing! I would bet that 1/4 or more of the rod brands that you see in use today didn't even exist 15 years ago!

Do your research on build and warranty sir! There are other rod companies that use high quality graphite, parts, and new technology. Unfortunately if/when you break their rod, you will be largely taken advantage of in fees to replace that rod. I feel that $150-$300 is a good price for a fishing rod that will last a lifetime and probably come with a lifetime warranty. Usually you get what you pay for until you get into some brands $350+ rods, than all you get is a lightweight stick that will break over and over, designed and priced for those with deep pockets and little experience. As many of you know, more expensive does not always equal better quality when it comes to fishing gear. Very few manufactures have mastered the ultra lightweight but strong rod. Most rod companies have just mastered the lightweight factor and are missing the strength needed to last. Always make sure to try to get your hands on the rod you plan to buy so that you know it is the right weight, power, and action for the techniques you plan to use it for. I hope this helps!
Posted By: 361V

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 12:04 PM

I'm on the Dobyns Pro Staff...they just don't know it yet so I have to pay retail for my my rods. :-) Really nice, light & sensitive. I prefer the Champion line. Extreme line is great but I feel you get little extra for the extra cost. I was scepticle of a $100 Dobyns but for anyone on a tighter budget their Fury line are great rods.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 12:24 PM

$200 range? Falcon Cara or Cashion. ......actually Cashion would be a great choice.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 12:25 PM

St Croix Legend tournament bass rods get my vote.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 12:36 PM

Obviously, my rod.
Posted By: BASS420

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 12:51 PM

Kevin I'm with u. For 125$ u paid for those original carbonlites is unbeatable. Super sensitive and strong. Only complaining I could do is about the durability of the guides. Other than that I'm butt hurt that they only produce white carbonlites now. I wont b caught fishing with a big dumb white rod. Just my opinion on white rods. Ha ha
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 01:02 PM

St.Croix. Like said above, they take the abuse.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 01:13 PM

I am a fan of the Dobyns rods, The Fury line of around $110 are pretty damn good for the price. I have been impressed by them.
Posted By: OnEm247

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 01:16 PM

Dobyns Rods
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 01:21 PM

You can get a very nice rod for $200 from Reel Time Rods at Lake Fork. They come with a no questions asked lifetime warranty. As far as the best rod not considering price, the G.Loomis NRX would get my vote.
Posted By: SIR-FISH-LOT

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 01:30 PM

I own about 20 Falcon Rods I like a lot just not to fun of Booco rods they will snap in half, For 200 bucks range I would say Castaways. My next rod will be a cashion rod they under 200 for me.
Posted By: BassSAT

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 02:27 PM

I have the G.Loomis NRX, Halo's, Falcon Lowriders, and
BPS Carbonlites rods..

My favorite is the Carbonlite's...
Posted By: lconn4

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm
St Croix Legend tournament bass rods get my vote.

I've been using one for 10 years. It caught my eye at Bass Pro Shops in Dania, Florida when it was on sale. Prior to that my favorite had been a St.Croix Avid for years. Will never forget some of the battles I've won and lost with them in both the fresh and salt water. I swear the cork in the handle of those rods have my permanent grip imprint from fighting monsters. Lots of great rods made these days.. just too many good memories with the rods I have to give the others a fair test.

Reels come and go for me, rods are for a lifetime.

Posted By: Jign

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 06:54 PM

St. Croix. Legend tournament gets my vote.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 07:06 PM

Dobyns and Power Tackle for me!
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 07:21 PM

Duckett White Ice my friend...you wont be disappointed

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 08:01 PM

What do yall think of the powell inferno rods and the Dobyns fury. And are they durable.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishinkev
What do yall think of the powell inferno rods and the Dobyns fury. And are they durable.

Mentioned Fury rods in my comment, so far the have been durable. A very well balanced rod too, feels like a higher $ rod
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishinkev

Those Powell rods are a good rod, I personally like Diawa, and Powertackle
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranger1
Ask Steve MCQueen his opinion since he thinks his is the only right one on here. He has all the right answers for you.

Except the answer to keeper fish
on the day he needed it.
Posted By: sarcazmo

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 09:01 PM

These threads are always hilarious.

Once you pass a certain thresholds most rods are basically the same. Most fisherman will never be able to tell the difference in sensitivity between two very good blanks. At that point it's basically brand loyalty.

Fisherman place so much emphasis on the name. G Loomis is but one example. I'd put any of my K2, NFC, Eternity2 builds up against a NRX any day. But they don't say G Loomis on them so...
Posted By: D Miner

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 09:24 PM

I think handle ergonomics and balance are just as important as the ultimate sensitivity of the rod. So whatever rod balances with your reel and has a grip you like will be the "best".

I personally like Falcon Cara and Fenwick's higher end offerings (Aetos and Elite Tech).
Posted By: Mulkey

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 09:37 PM

Halo
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 09:52 PM

Go look at the bargain bin at your favorite retailer and also see what is broken behind the counter. Should give you a glimpse into what is not the best. You still somewhat get what you pay for.

Re: best rod out there? - 03/29/16 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: sarcazmo
These threads are always hilarious.

Once you pass a certain thresholds most rods are basically the same. Most fisherman will never be able to tell the difference in sensitivity between two very good blanks. At that point it's basically brand loyalty.

Fisherman place so much emphasis on the name. G Loomis is but one example. I'd put any of my K2, NFC, Eternity2 builds up against a NRX any day. But they don't say G Loomis on them so...

Actually Sarcazmo, I was pretty much of the same opinion as you until I fished my 1st NRX.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: best rod out there? - 03/30/16 12:25 AM

It's all preference. I prefer a full handle grip, so I go with a company that I like for durability, sensitivity and has a vast array of technique specific rods with full handle grips, Dobyn's for me.
Posted By: MV

Re: best rod out there? - 03/30/16 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Stephen Fatherree
It's hard to beat a St. Croix Rod! Some are available for sale at Oakridge Marina on Lake Fork. Bass Pro Shops also carries a wide selection of St. Croix Rods and others. The Mojo Bass, Avid, and Legend Tournament Series are my favorites! Regardless of which brand you choose, compare the different manufactures warranty policies and fees before spending over $150 on a bass fishing rod. Also compare the actual technology used in creating the rod blanks, you will be surprised on what info you can, and cannot find depending on the rod company. I have some St. Croix Avid Series Rods that are 15 years old and have NEVER had an issue, not a single guide insert pop out, nothing! I would bet that 1/4 or more of the rod brands that you see in use today didn't even exist 15 years ago!

Do your research on build and warranty sir! There are other rod companies that use high quality graphite, parts, and new technology. Unfortunately if/when you break their rod, you will be largely taken advantage of in fees to replace that rod. I feel that $150-$300 is a good price for a fishing rod that will last a lifetime and probably come with a lifetime warranty. Usually you get what you pay for until you get into some brands $350+ rods, than all you get is a lightweight stick that will break over and over, designed and priced for those with deep pockets and little experience. As many of you know, more expensive does not always equal better quality when it comes to fishing gear. Very few manufactures have mastered the ultra lightweight but strong rod. Most rod companies have just mastered the lightweight factor and are missing the strength needed to last. Always make sure to try to get your hands on the rod you plan to buy so that you know it is the right weight, power, and action for the techniques you plan to use it for. I hope this helps!

thumb
Posted By: cob

Re: best rod out there? - 03/30/16 12:47 AM

I was fortunate enough to see and shake a new Edge rod. This is Gary Loomis' new deal. Rod had a carbon fiber handle and was crazy light and sensitive. I basically switched over to fly fishing when l retired and was looking at the new fly rod when the rep showed me the casting rod. May be a new sheriff on the water.
Posted By: NITRO Z8

Re: best rod out there? - 03/30/16 12:53 AM

Need to look at halo rods at anglers pro. Great warranty and price isn't bad either.

Re: best rod out there? - 03/30/16 04:36 AM

Originally Posted By: danwill12
ALX is an all American builder he uses all top notch stuff, you can see it at Tackle Warehouse. His Frog Rod and and Pitching rod are great.

Was not familiar with ALX. I personally would like to feel one and figure out what blank he is building on. American blanks are truly hard to find.
Posted By: Gungle

Re: best rod out there? - 03/30/16 11:45 AM

I always find myself reaching for the Kistler Z-bone or NRX.

Cheers, cheers

George
Posted By: Dbranch3

Re: best rod out there? - 03/30/16 01:37 PM

I am going to make it simple, most rods out there are good, the difference is prices, you will not find a better quality rod out there for the price like a Powell rod! I am one of those guys that is very rough on his equipment, stepping on them on the deck bouncing around in rough water, I have broken plenty of rods but I have yet to break a Powell. They are very sensitive, and fairly light, wouldn't trade my 12 rods for anything. Keep this in mind to, the things that make $300 rod $300 does not make it fish better than $150 or $200 rod!
Good luck

Re: best rod out there? - 03/30/16 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Dbranch3
I am going to make it simple, most rods out there are good, the difference is prices, you will not find a better quality rod out there for the price like a Powell rod! I am one of those guys that is very rough on his equipment, stepping on them on the deck bouncing around in rough water, I have broken plenty of rods but I have yet to break a Powell. They are very sensitive, and fairly light, wouldn't trade my 12 rods for anything. Keep this in mind to, the things that make $300 rod $300 does not make it fish better than $150 or $200 rod!
Good luck

I'm prone to agree with you on Powell rods. Not too sure about the newer models but the Powell Max and Endurance rods can't be beat for the price. Build quality, components, tapers, they pretty much have it down pat. I weigh every rod I buy on a digital postage scale and Powells are indeed very light and seem to hold up extremely well. A man would do well if he had a rod box full of only Powell rods. All that being said, when it comes down to pure sensitivity, NRX, Power tackle and Zbones built on the NFC HM blanks are more sensitive. From a value standpoint, I believe you pass the point of diminishing returns before you get into NRX territory and while I love mine, I do admit that the added sensitivity is more of a novelty than a need.
Posted By: FACSR

Re: best rod out there? - 03/30/16 03:53 PM

I have bought 3 Waterloo rods, made in Victoria Tx . Good price, good durability and great sensitivity and most of all light weight, besides I like dealing with an individual owner . But that being said I also have Falcon rods and they have held up good also.
Posted By: Connor S

Re: best rod out there? - 03/30/16 08:25 PM

I'd tell you a rod built by yours truly.. but max 200 per rod, I'd have to advise you to any rod company that puts a semi-micro Fuji- KR guide system on a quality blank.. if you've never tried that guide system out you haven't lived.. it's a game changer
Posted By: RBO

Re: best rod out there? - 03/30/16 09:57 PM

Was not familiar with ALX. I personally would like to feel one and figure out what blank he is building on. American blanks are truly hard to find.

ASSEMBLED in America and MADE in America are 2 very different things.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: best rod out there? - 03/30/16 10:01 PM

The blank you select for a specific application, custom-built to your specifications with the components of your choosing.

As for manufacturers, no one builds a lighter, more sensitive rod than GLoomis. But I break them too easily. For my style of fishing, PowerTackle is my all around favorite. For lightweight, durable and sensitive, I like the Duckett White Ice series. Duckett's 7' 9" HVY action flipping stick is a beast. I've yet to break one, hard as I have tried! Also like Dobyns higher-end rods.

Re: best rod out there? - 03/31/16 10:13 AM

Thanks everyone, I went with a mixture of powell (704 for jigs)and tatula XT (7'1 mh ex-fast for tx rigs) rods.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: best rod out there? - 03/31/16 10:35 AM

Does anyone make US Blanks now of days?

I would think they would be made in 3rd world country or China.........
Posted By: agdave112

Re: best rod out there? - 03/31/16 10:58 AM

These cost a little more than the $200 range but man are they nice rods. Very sensitive, light and strong. http://impulserods.com/index/index.php?route=product/category&path=66&page=2
Posted By: Brad R

Re: best rod out there? - 03/31/16 01:01 PM

The TackleTour Forum has run a "What is your favorite rod?" statistic for some time now (see below for a partially truncated, unsorted list).

With just over 1000 votes registered, G.Loomis leads with 224 votes to second place Dobyns with 198 votes to third place St. Croix with 150. Then it tapers off pretty fast to a long list of rod makers with some votes.

Scientific? Not at all. For that, we'd need a "taste test" and blindfolds!

Brad

Posted By: Rhaider

Re: best rod out there? - 03/31/16 06:04 PM

For the $200 range I have actually been really impressed with the Loomis E6X. Sensitivity is insane and the hand feel is great. Wasnt voted best freshwater rod last year for nothing.
That being said I have a few of the powell infernos as well and I have been very impressed with the sensitivity and the tapers. The only critique I have of them is that when I palm the reel it isn't very comfortable in hand
Posted By: HunterFJ

Re: best rod out there? - 04/01/16 01:01 AM

Honestly NRX? I always heard growing up that Loomis was the best. So I decided to pick up a top of the Loomis line, thinking it would be the best of the best and be able to detect even the slightest of bites. Boy, was I mistaken. Don't get me wrong its a quality rod but I find it sub par to my old Cumara (black), which casts better, more sensitive and less than half the price.
Posted By: Mo_Cat

Re: best rod out there? - 04/01/16 01:37 AM

For Jig and Worm rod when sensitivity and feel are most important, Loomis NRX is top dog. For cranking stick or other applications, Dobyns, Shimano, Kistler will all get the job done. You honestly get what you pay for in a rod. A 200$ rod is gonna be half as good as a $400 rod.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: best rod out there? - 04/01/16 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: pil,b
Power Tackle
fish

Yep!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum