Texas Fishing Forum

Fork thieves

Posted By: R Clayton

Fork thieves - 03/27/16 11:35 PM

We launched at the public ramp on 154 close to minnow bucket on friday. Probably 30 other trucks there easy. I had 2 yeti coolers 45 and 75 both locked with wire cable. Some low lifes let tailgate down and commenced to using some type of cutters to break the cable and snatch both of them!! Wondering if anyone else had trouble that day. I'll never use public ramps there again.
Posted By: High wide and heavy

Re: Fork thieves - 03/27/16 11:42 PM

They shot be shot, I have parked there so many times and left so much in my truck. That's ridiculous. Thanks for the heads up. Wow, that really is sorry.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 12:06 AM

That's pretty sorry, thanks for the warning.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 12:28 AM

Did you have a cover on the bed?
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 12:39 AM

Sorry for what happened. That stinks.

If I have anything valuable, I don't leave it visible even if it's inside my truck. I put a towel on it or a blanket or something. Too many lowlifes out there. Doesn't surprise me a bit that someone would steal $800 worth of coolers if they didn't even have to break into the vehicle to get them.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 02:51 AM

Been seeing a guy in a gray small car hanging out there to much. I took a picture with my phone of him here while back but have since deleted it. If anyone see's anything funny or out of the normal just take a picture with your phone. Never know if it may come in handy or not. Sorry for your loss. Low lifes everywhere you go now days. Had my wheel caps stole at the Rainswood ramp a couple of years ago.
Posted By: Devil Horse

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 04:15 AM

I swear a lot of those local rif-raf just wait for out of towners to show up, hope you reported your theft to the cops.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 04:37 AM

Sorry to hear. A lot of people say the thieves are thick around there. It's a shame.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 12:17 PM

Dope heads.
Put them in prison and keep them there and things will turn around.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 12:18 PM

Boat Ramps always draw thieves, no matter what lake.........
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 12:27 PM

bang hung peep
Posted By: GROD

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 12:29 PM

Y'all would be surprised to see how many of these thieves are just the guy you happened to park next to at the ramp... It's an opportunist crime.... Vehicles in a boat ramp area not pulling a boat are pretty obvious. Always someone who wants what someone else has and laws these days are really relaxed on thieves.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 12:54 PM

Sorry for your loss. Every time I see yeti coolers sitting in the back of a pickup it seems to me they are asking for them to be jacked. Out of Sight-Out of Mind.
Posted By: SeaAggie2015

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 01:05 PM

That sucks! It's sad to think that people have nothing better to do than run around and steal from hard working folks. This just reminds me of Perky though. Man don't leave ANYTHING in your truck at that ramp. Inside or in the bed.
Posted By: JLane7

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 01:10 PM

Thieves are the worst. I really am sorry about that man. I hate getting things stolen from me more than anything.
Posted By: Hittmanfish

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 01:31 PM

That really sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. Thieves are the worst kind of people.
Posted By: tommyc

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 01:53 PM

I have gotten to the point that I avoid the public ramps and pay the $3.00 or whatever to use a private ramp. A busted out window would just ruin my day.
Some of those private ramps are watched closely. With gas where it is now, I can certainly spring for the $3.00
Sorry to hear of the theft at the 154 and thanks for posting as adding to awareness.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: tommyc
I have gotten to the point that I avoid the public ramps and pay the $3.00 or whatever to use a private ramp. A busted out window would just ruin my day.
Some of those private ramps are watched closely. With gas where it is now, I can certainly spring for the $3.00
Sorry to hear of the theft at the 154 and thanks for posting as adding to awareness.

I avoid all public ramps if possible, 3-4 bucks is great insurance in most case's..
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Sorry for your loss. Every time I see yeti coolers sitting in the back of a pickup it seems to me they are asking for them to be jacked. Out of Sight-Out of Mind.

Every time I see a yeti cooler anywhere it seems to me somebody already got ripped off sarcastic
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 02:43 PM

This may be a dumb question, but will insurance cover them? I don't own a truck so I am not sure how thefts from the bed of a pick-up work.
Posted By: centxfishing

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 02:48 PM

$3 is nothing in regards to two $400+ coolers. Those security locks are just a speed bump in the eyes of a criminal.
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 06:03 PM

Only thing worse than a thief is a child molester!!
Posted By: TxFisherman03

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 06:06 PM

To bad more of them don't get caught in the act...
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Rhino68W
This may be a dumb question, but will insurance cover them? I don't own a truck so I am not sure how thefts from the bed of a pick-up work.

your auto insurance typically only covers things permanently attached to the vehicle
Posted By: cruzfishing

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: txmasterpo

Every time I see a yeti cooler anywhere it seems to me somebody already got ripped off sarcastic

roflmao
---------------
On a serious note, sorry for your cooler getting stolen..

I parked at the same ramp on Sat too and had a cooler in the back of my truck...I didn't even think to tie it down.....Mine was only a cheap walmart cooler,..I think if someone saw mine and how ugly it was, they may open it and put money inside it!
Posted By: blueduck

Re: Fork thieves - 03/28/16 08:50 PM

Check you home owners policy, may cover your loss. Just an idea.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Fork thieves - 03/29/16 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: cruzfishing
Originally Posted By: txmasterpo

roflmao
---------------
On a serious note, sorry for your cooler getting stolen..

I am sorry about your Yetis too but that was pretty flippin funny!!

Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Fork thieves - 03/29/16 03:42 AM

Most homeowner policies have a 1% deductible so it probably wouldn't exceed your deductible. If you do try to claim it on your homeowners policy, don't be surprised when they jack your rates up or drop you.

I suggest buying a cheaper Walmart cooler for leaving in your pickup bed. You can use a Sharpie marker to write your last name across the lid and make it even less desirable to thieves. You shouldn't have to resort to this but it is effective.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Fork thieves - 03/29/16 04:01 AM

It's a burglary of a vehicle because the thieves reached inside the bed of your pick up to commit theft. Your auto insurance would cover it, but doubt it's worth paying the deductible and you insurance possibly increasing.
Posted By: Stephen Fatherree

Re: Fork thieves - 03/29/16 05:18 AM

Sorry to hear that you had the cable cut on your Yeti, that's a bummer! It's strange why lakes attract so many crackheads and uneducated drug users that will steal just about anything to support their habit. The only time I have experienced theft in my 10+ years living here at Lake Fork was about 4 years ago while parked at a Pay-to-Park Boat Ramp at a Marina when I had the spare tire off of my boat trailer stolen, probably by some crackhead. It's too bad there's not quality video surveillance at every major boat ramp since Fork sees so many boats!

My advice is to keep your expensive coolers double locked to a thick chain, then make them HEAVY! Keep your coolers FULL of bottled waters (200+lbs of water weight) so it will take at least 2 skinny crackheads to easily steal it from the bed of your truck! You can even go as far as putting 100+ lbs of flat barbell weights for weightlifting in the bottom of the cooler (you may want to seal them in a waterproof bag of some sort to prevent any corrosion/rust issues), then add your bottled waters/drinks on top. A 300 + lb Yeti with two locks on a thick chain will not be nearly as easy to steal! If you like to carry your Yeti Cooler in your truck bed and are worried about theft, another great idea is to buy one of those inexpensive cameras for vehicles that can be placed just behind your rear glass facing your truck bed and film continuously for hours. I started using one of these a few years ago ever since the break line on my boat trailer was cut, again at a Pay-to-Park Marina Boat Ramp, but that's another story as it wasn't theft, just a cowardly act of vandalism. I hope they can find your Yeti my friend!
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Fork thieves - 03/29/16 07:14 AM

Stephen,

If I were a thief who came properly equipped and managed to get the coolers loose to steal, why wouldn't I just tip them to dump the contents and leave with empty coolers? I see no real purpose in adding the weight to haul around.

I hate that scumbags are always taking things, and often causing other damage in the process. While I'm sorry for the loss, I would never leave anything of value in open view in the back of a pick-up. That's a huge "Lookie here! Take me!" advertisement.

Though toppers and bedcovers can be defeated, their advantage is the fact that what's in there isn't being advertised so openly, and therefore is less likely to be taken. Anyone who hauls valuables in the back of a pick-up and expects to leave them there unattended for long periods should seriously consider at least a sliding bed-cover.....
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Fork thieves - 03/29/16 01:48 PM

I haven't used that many ramps at Fork but the ones that I have used, the only difference between public and $3 is $3. They didn't have any more security. Unfortunately, nowadays you can't go to any lake and leave anything in your vehicle without expecting to have it stolen
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Fork thieves - 03/29/16 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
I haven't used that many ramps at Fork but the ones that I have used, the only difference between public and $3 is $3. They didn't have any more security. Unfortunately, nowadays you can't go to any lake and leave anything in your vehicle without expecting to have it stolen

Bobby I disagree, most of the pay ramps I use have people that bird dog the ramp fee bucket.. Point & case the old Val's ramp, Bob will be on you, like white on rice if you're doing anything ---anything..LOL.. There are several others places almost that attentive.... I do agree, on leaving valuable equipment in your truck bed is not to smart imo.....
Posted By: Cast

Re: Fork thieves - 03/29/16 02:30 PM

I see Yeti's in truck beds all the time. Not cool.

Out of sight, out of mind.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Fork thieves - 03/29/16 03:21 PM

Private ramps aren't always safe either. A vehicle got hit last year at Oak Ridge.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Fork thieves - 03/29/16 03:44 PM

don't make it easy..out of sight is best. Don't trust anyone.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Fork thieves - 03/29/16 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Stephen Fatherree
It's strange why lakes attract so many crackheads and uneducated drug users that will steal just about anything to support their habit.

Tons of equipment that's easy to steal and easy to sell. Fewer LEOs per capita than in the big city. Lakes are rural, response time is longer for LE and many residents are weekend, only. That's why.

Re: Fork thieves - 03/29/16 05:09 PM

So many live rural because it is cheaper and fewer LEOs. For some reason, they like going to lakes, probably because lakes are free and we just happen to visit the same places.
Posted By: lcbl75771

Re: Fork thieves - 03/29/16 06:08 PM

I don't leave anything valuable in the truck and nothing visible. I even leave the toolbox unlocked... if anyone wants what is inside it would cost me a hell of a lot less to replace it than the toolbox. Need a bunch of the pissed off people who have lost stuff to do a sting, I bet if they're caught, they might think twice about doing it again.. that is if they could walk again.

Re: Fork thieves - 03/29/16 06:17 PM

No they wouldn't. They'd be there as soon as they got out of jail. They don't think like us
Posted By: Kick

Re: Fork thieves - 03/29/16 06:27 PM

Pathetic losers. Heard a similar story a couple weeks ago at RR ramp. You would think the police would have a field day in an unmarked car. Sorry to hear about your loss.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Fork thieves - 03/29/16 07:48 PM

Lol when are you guys gonna learn people will steal from you anywhere even in the bathroom they don't care...
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Fork thieves - 03/29/16 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Kick
Pathetic losers. Heard a similar story a couple weeks ago at RR ramp. You would think the police would have a field day in an unmarked car. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Not really. How frequently does this happen? Which ramp to stake out? For what gain? Arrest a meth head on a Class C misdemeanor? Unfortunately, our law enforcement simply does not have the resources to do this.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Fork thieves - 03/29/16 10:14 PM

Most Counties are stretched with "other" calls, Theft vs Domestic Violence Call (where life is at stake)? You'd be surprised at how many people can't get along, especially when they are under the influence!
Posted By: KB1953

Re: Fork thieves - 03/30/16 01:44 AM

They wait for you to check out of your room Sunday morning and then go fishing. slinger
Posted By: skeeterfan

Re: Fork thieves - 03/31/16 01:12 PM

Just read a thread in the TFF Freshwater Fishing section about a fisherman fishing out of Stewart Creek ramp on Lewisville. Someone stole his trailer license while he was out fishing. That ramp costs $10 for non Colony residents, has a manned booth, and is occasionally patrolled by The Colony Police Dept. and it is still subject to theft.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum