Texas Fishing Forum

Inflatable life jacket (vest)

Posted By: whnigt

Inflatable life jacket (vest) - 03/27/16 04:49 PM

Who make a good inflatable light weight life jacket? Thanks
Posted By: greenen

Re: Inflatable life jacket (vest) - 03/27/16 06:50 PM

I bought the Cabela's one on sale. I always wonder if it will perform when necessary.......
Posted By: whnigt

Re: Inflatable life jacket (vest) - 03/28/16 10:25 AM

TTT
Posted By: Undertaker56

Re: Inflatable life jacket (vest) - 03/28/16 12:50 PM

Got mine from Bass Pro Shops cant even tell you have it on...
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Inflatable life jacket (vest) - 03/28/16 01:02 PM

It's hard to shoot down the undisputed leader in the industry - Mustang Survival. They are the most trusted name in water safety gear in industrial applications where demands exceed recreational use. Today's vests are improved over earlier versions, too. The better ones offer 30+ pounds of buoyancy, which is almost double the USCG required level for a PFD. Most foam vests used in fishing are typically just above minimum to keep the bulk from being annoying to the user.

If you shop for an inflatable, I suggest you note the USCG TYPE. Better ones are often TYPE II, where our standby foam vests are TYPE III. TYPE II will float you higher out of the water and is much more likely to roll an unconscious wearer to a face-up position. I like both of those features.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Inflatable life jacket (vest) - 03/28/16 01:07 PM

I got the Mustang MIT 100 recently and I love it. After looking on TW, I found them at Academy for about $125 plus tax. These are the auto inflatable vests.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Inflatable life jacket (vest) - 03/28/16 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
It's hard to shoot down the undisputed leader in the industry - Mustang Survival. They are the most trusted name in water safety gear in industrial applications where demands exceed recreational use. Today's vests are improved over earlier versions, too. The better ones offer 30+ pounds of buoyancy, which is almost double the USCG required level for a PFD. Most foam vests used in fishing are typically just above minimum to keep the bulk from being annoying to the user.

If you shop for an inflatable, I suggest you note the USCG TYPE. Better ones are often TYPE II, where our standby foam vests are TYPE III. TYPE II will float you higher out of the water and is much more likely to roll an unconscious wearer to a face-up position. I like both of those features.

This man knows his stuff!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum