Texas Fishing Forum

Frog rod recommendation

Posted By: Button Buck

Frog rod recommendation - 03/25/16 01:49 PM

The tip broke on my carbon lite frog road. Looking for a good replacement with plenty backbone and a fast tip for distance and skipping. Thanks!!!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/25/16 02:20 PM

Price range?
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/25/16 02:50 PM

G. Loomis E6X Jig & Worm

I know it says it's a jig & worm rod but the E6XT 893C JWR is also a fantastic frog rod. This rod is super well balanced, lightweight, and very sensitive. I can't tell you comfortable it is to hold this rod. It pairs well with any reel you put on it. That's what you want too. When you're fishing a frog all day, you want a comfortable rod and reel set up. It's hard to believe with all the features on this rod, it's less than $200.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/25/16 04:05 PM

The ultimate frog rod on the market

https://www1.powertackle.com/products/rods/frog-special/rods/frog-special/frg104-5-7-6
Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/25/16 04:13 PM

Falcon Cara T7 Jason Christie Frog Rod 6'11"

Very versatile Rod. A little shorter than most frog rods but it's easier to skip up under branches, docks, etc. Still has plenty of backbone to pull them out of heavy matted grass.
Posted By: bigcat85

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/25/16 04:46 PM

i really like the duckett ghost 7'3 heavy for frogs.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/25/16 05:29 PM

A great frog rod has to have a regular fast tip to not only work the frog properly but to give you a better cast than a fast or extra fast tip. A rod with a strong backbone is very necessary in this as well. Since you will get many opinions on this I will give mine. The Corzza Frog special from MajorCraft if your budget is 169.99...or the MS-X Frog special if your budget is 269.99....These 2 rods are undoubtedly some of the best frog rods made. The micro pitch crossforce system and the Fuji K tangle free titanium guides help these rods become a workhorse in today's fishing market.

Posted By: YAKaddict

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/25/16 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: bigcat85
i really like the duckett ghost 7'3 heavy for frogs.
I have the same rod and It lacked backbone big time. Feels like a mh in my opinion. Great rod though
Posted By: mikemtx

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/25/16 06:31 PM

It won't get a lot of votes on here , but the Abu Garcia Veritas Frog Rod 2.0 is cheap at $100 and has served me well. Have had it over a year a still holding up.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/25/16 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranger1

Wrong.

Daiwa Steez SVF-XBD. It was specifically designed for soft Topwater frogging. Titanium Fuji K guides with SiC inserts. Rated for up to 80lb line. Perfectly balanced for walking. And just the right amount of tip to work the frog and not snatch it from a bass before it has it all the way. These really isn't a better frog rod. There are some close seconds. But, they are seconds. If money is an issue for this kind of rod, the Daiwa Zillion frog rod has the same blank, same number and type of guides (stainless instead of Ti), and a less expensive seat. Same balance and action...just fractions of an ounce heavier. Almost half the money and still a better choice than 99% of the other offerings out there.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/25/16 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Wrong.

Daiwa Steez SVF-XBD. It was specifically designed for soft Topwater frogging. Titanium Fuji K guides with SiC inserts. Rated for up to 80lb line. Perfectly balanced for walking. And just the right amount of tip to work the frog and not snatch it from a bass before it has it all the way. These really isn't a better frog rod. There are some close seconds. But, they are seconds. If money is an issue for this kind of rod, the Daiwa Zillion frog rod has the same blank, same number and type of guides (stainless instead of Ti), and a less expensive seat. Same balance and action...just fractions of an ounce heavier. Almost half the money and still a better choice than 99% of the other offerings out there.

Wrong,
Daiwa Steez you speak of is a nice rod, but please it isn't no where close to being in the same league as the PT FRG-104.
Do your homework before you say something like that.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/25/16 07:27 PM

Dobyns Champion 736 is a great frog rod. Not going to get into a p1$$ing match about it. Is it the best? It's the best I've ever used. Lots of decent choices for way less but this one is superior!
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/26/16 01:12 AM

For the money. Go ahead and call Phillip at S&P tackle in Zavalla. Tell him what you want, and he will build it. I use a 8' heavy slow action. I can make a frog walk and talk and still out cast 9/10 people. You learn how to do it. Currently Phillip and I are fixing to experiment with a new rod set up. Msg me if you need more info.

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/26/16 03:00 AM

Wrong.

Wrong,
Daiwa Steez you speak of is a nice rod, but please it isn't no where close to being in the same league as the PT FRG-104.

Whatever. The Steez wins. Hands down.

Let's see....

Cheap recoil guides vs TiSIC Fuji K concept guides....Daiwa wins
Fuji ACS reel seat...not bad....Daiwa AirBeam seat...way better
Regular graphite blank vs Daiwa SVFX45 80 ton graphite....Daiea wins.

The only thing PT has that is an "advantage" is it costs less.
Posted By: redmojo

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/26/16 03:12 AM

Never seen people fight on here about a rod being better than another. Lol
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/26/16 03:42 AM

All you need is a broom stick from dollar general!
Posted By: Skeeter443

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/26/16 06:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo
For the money. Go ahead and call Phillip at S&P tackle in Zavalla. Tell him what you want, and he will build it. I use a 8' heavy slow action. I can make a frog walk and talk and still out cast 9/10 people. You learn how to do it. Currently Phillip and I are fixing to experiment with a new rod set up. Msg me if you need more info.
Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

I agree with Andrew. Phillip makes a great rod. Love the one he made for me!!
Posted By: BigBassJake

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/26/16 06:58 AM

Originally Posted By: mikemtx
It won't get a lot of votes on here , but the Abu Garcia Veritas Frog Rod 2.0 is cheap at $100 and has served me well. Have had it over a year a still holding up.

X2 I have a few set ups I use for frogs but like this one the best. I had an original Veritas break reeling in a big fish duringet a Rayovac and swore them off for a while. They got it right with the 2.0 tho
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/26/16 10:02 AM

The best is the one that suits your needs. I have 3 for 3 different situations and only 1 is a "frog" rod. The other 2 have the right power and action I need. Heck they aren't even designed for bass.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/26/16 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94
G. Loomis E6X Jig & Worm

I know it says it's a jig & worm rod but the E6XT 893C JWR is also a fantastic frog rod. This rod is super well balanced, lightweight, and very sensitive. I can't tell you comfortable it is to hold this rod. It pairs well with any reel you put on it. That's what you want too. When you're fishing a frog all day, you want a comfortable rod and reel set up. It's hard to believe with all the features on this rod, it's less than $200.

I would think the 893 is a little soft in action (based on the lure weight rating) but you say it works very well for frogs?

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/26/16 01:05 PM

Wrong.

Wrong,

Whatever. The Steez wins. Hands down.

Let's see....

Cheap recoil guides vs TiSIC Fuji K concept guides....Daiwa wins
Fuji ACS reel seat...not bad....Daiwa AirBeam seat...way better
Regular graphite blank vs Daiwa SVFX45 80 ton graphite....Daiea wins.

The only thing PT has that is an "advantage" is it costs less.

So in the long run how do better guides, 80ton graphite and a better reel seat help you catch more bass on a top water frog with your $$teez rod?
I bet Mr. froggy is sitting there and he sees you holding a Steez rod and he wants a better look at it so he decides to bite the frog. Maybe that's it.
There are some rods made in Japan that are WAY more than the Steez so maybe there is a better frog rod out there...
I believe in using quality equipment but I also believe you can get to a point of diminishing returns as the $$price skyrockets.
Posted By: txlonghorns

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/26/16 08:43 PM

Dobyns Champion 735. The tip on that rod is something else...

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/27/16 12:14 AM

Ezbassin......Are you arguing just to argue? Or do you have experience with EITHER rod. I'm guessing you don't own one.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/27/16 12:39 AM

I use a G. Loomis IMX MBR 844, works good for me.
Posted By: C.J

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/27/16 01:08 AM

Check out Power tackle Rods
https://www1.powertackle.com/products/rods/frog-special
https://www1.powertackle.com/products/rods/rods/pg104-7-6

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/27/16 03:45 AM

Ezbassin......Are you arguing just to argue? Or do you have experience with EITHER rod. I'm guessing you don't own one.

Well Steez, you are wrong AGAIN, I have the Power Tackle rod. Now, how are you so sure that your Steez is the "best" frog rod out there? Have you compared it to the more expensive Japan rods that are on the market by actually using one? Yes, no, which is it?

Funny you think I was arguing, I am simply making the same type comment you did. Sorry it hurt your feelings but if you are going to dish it out you have to be able to take it also.

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/27/16 04:13 AM

Yes. I have. I have two Megabass Arms rods and had an Evergreen. I've also had the PT rod. It is how I know which one is best in my opinion. Actual experience. Call me crazy. The rod and reel part of fishing is what initially caught my interest. I like the detail and build quality of the better Japanese and Danish stuff. Even some French rods and reels are pretty cool. In these countries, there isn't much middle of the road. Their economies and income levels reflect their markets demands and vise versa. They have really inexpensive stuff....and super high end stuff. What gets imported to here is pretty much the upper end stuff. To some extent. It was my fascination with these super high end products that made me want to be able to use them to their fullest. I didn't start bass fishing because I had to eat. Lol. Started because I had a few really cool rods and reels and wanted to be able to use them.

Now.....many years later, I've owned pretty much every high end rod available at one time or another. I have bought, sold, traded high end rods for almost 30 years.

Not trying to be an a hole. Just stating facts that the XBD IS THE BEST. I do not own one currently. Have had two. I currently use a Megabass Python for frogging. I don't frog often enough to justify having a REAL frog rod. Hell....I only have 20 or so frogs in my tackle assortment. Vs 1000's of soft plastics and 100's of cranks.

If you want to read an unbiased review of the XBD...go to tackle tour and read it. They have reviews of both rods there. The PT and the Diawa. The Diawa scored pretty close to the highest score of any rod they have ever reviewed. That's not me talking. That's the "experts".

....and yeah....i am guilty of making the same claims you just made to me. Lol. To each his own I guess.

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/27/16 04:26 AM

Nice..BTW I love my Steez reels. They are the best...at least the best that I have used.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/27/16 04:37 AM

Yes. I have. I have two Megabass Arms rods and had an Evergreen. I've also had the PT rod. It is how I know which one is best in my opinion. Actual experience. Call me crazy. The rod and reel part of fishing is what initially caught my interest. I like the detail and build quality of the better Japanese and Danish stuff. Even some French rods and reels are pretty cool. In these countries, there isn't much middle of the road. Their economies and income levels reflect their markets demands and vise versa. They have really inexpensive stuff....and super high end stuff. What gets imported to here is pretty much the upper end stuff. To some extent. It was my fascination with these super high end products that made me want to be able to use them to their fullest. I didn't start bass fishing because I had to eat. Lol. Started because I had a few really cool rods and reels and wanted to be able to use them.

Now.....many years later, I've owned pretty much every high end rod available at one time or another. I have bought, sold, traded high end rods for almost 30 years.

Not trying to be an a hole. Just stating facts that the XBD IS THE BEST. I do not own one currently. Have had two. I currently use a Megabass Python for frogging. I don't frog often enough to justify having a REAL frog rod. Hell....I only have 20 or so frogs in my tackle assortment. Vs 1000's of soft plastics and 100's of cranks.

If you want to read an unbiased review of the XBD...go to tackle tour and read it. They have reviews of both rods there. The PT and the Diawa. The Diawa scored pretty close to the highest score of any rod they have ever reviewed. That's not me talking. That's the "experts".

....and yeah....i am guilty of making the same claims you just made to me. Lol. To each his own I guess.

You are forgetting one thing. There is no one best anything. Personally I would take my custom built rod over that overpriced Japan gimmick. If she isn't 8' h slow. She ain't nothing. Second thing is. I've built enough rods. Played with motors and lots of other toys. You get light weight or your get dependability. I'm 6'6" 290. And 21years old. I can break it. And I can also throw a big rig for 8 hours a day for 14+ days straight. For the money I will never leave custom built rods. My frogs are thrown on Rayburn/Toledo. Thick nasty junk. Not open water walking.
Posted By: Brian_Martin

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/27/16 09:31 AM

Mccain high performance tommy martin flipping and pitching rod. Great tip and plenty of backbone. Owner Morgan McCain is the guy who started and owned all star rods. Check them out http://www.mccainfishing.com/phone/tommy-martin-signature-series.html
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/27/16 11:19 AM

I have a Dobyns Champ 735 works great for me!
Posted By: 361V

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/27/16 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: redmojo
Haven't been here long have you? :-)

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/27/16 02:35 PM

Thanks for all the replies!!!

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/27/16 02:36 PM

Thanks for all the replies!!!
Posted By: Bonehead1

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/27/16 03:11 PM

Would like a $200 class rod myself, so far it looks like g loomis, majorcraft and the zillion rod from the posts above. Any more worthy to consider?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/27/16 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Bonehead1
Would like a $200 class rod myself, so far it looks like g loomis, majorcraft and the zillion rod from the posts above. Any more worthy to consider?

A great frog rod in that price point is the Megabass Levante Perfect Pitch. It can also serve a ton of double duty uses.
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/27/16 06:01 PM

The Megabass is good for the $ or just get a used Dobyn's 735 Champion for $150 and frog on.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/27/16 06:21 PM

Kistler KLX 7'6" Frog rod is a freaking stick - I love mine.

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/28/16 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: 361V
Haven't been here long have you? :-)

Wasn't a fight.

We only fight over distance between boats and boat brands.

Equipment brands is just a heated debate.
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/28/16 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: lipjerk
I have a Dobyns Champ 735 works great for me!
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 03/28/16 03:50 AM

Falcon cara amistad works well for me. I have a 735, might use it as a backup.

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 04/27/16 01:39 PM

I am going to rig up a Dobyns 745 Extreme this weekend and see how well it works for frogging. The only Dobyns Chamnpion I have is a 705 which would work also.
Posted By: aggieman775

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 04/27/16 01:41 PM

I have an 8 foot Abu Garcia Ike rod and I love it
Posted By: Phnx#22

Re: Frog rod recommendation - 04/27/16 02:43 PM

Wait until they start comparing worms.....it...just...gets...ugly.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum