Texas Fishing Forum

First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get.

Posted By: Sloth

First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/23/16 09:24 PM

Hey you guys! Sloth here, I've bee following along here and there for a while but decided to take the plunge today and sign up. I'm really new to bass fishing. I bought a kayak last week and stated getting a few things tackle wise, but I'm not sure if I'm getting the right stuff.....

Also I want to take it out this weekend for the very first time. I just don't know where to start, I was thinking of driving to lake Fork.

Is that a good kayak lake for me to start on?
Any info on tackle for a beginning black bass fisherman would help a ton also.

Thanks in advance!

The Sloth
Posted By: dandeeks

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/23/16 09:27 PM

why not start on White Rock Lake? Fork is HUGE. I would definitely pick a smaller more kayak friendly place so you don't have to contend with wind and waves, boats and their wakes, and traffic. Also, getting from A to B takes a while in a yak.

ps... there's a yak forum in here somewhere as well that I am sure you can gain better more experienced yak information.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/23/16 09:29 PM

Welcome Sloth! I would recommend going to a smaller lake like Crockett up near Honey Grove. Easier to get around and not have to fight with all the crazy spring time Fork fisherman. Easy to get around should be little boat traffic to contend with. Lots of grass and lily pads to fish.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/23/16 09:33 PM

Find a State Park close by!
Posted By: Rockie Martin

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/23/16 09:41 PM

Welcome to the forum! flag
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/23/16 09:52 PM

I'd take that yak and go to lake clark. You will get lots of good advice on here!!
Posted By: Kidde

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/23/16 10:07 PM

Welcome to the forum. It has been my experience that kayaking fork is a waste of time. I was out there in my yak a few weeks ago and saw nothing but carp and gar everywhere.

Joe Pool and Toledo bend are are fire right now.

Best of luck.
Posted By: Sloth

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/24/16 01:42 AM

Thanks to all my new FF for the welcome and the advice.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/24/16 02:38 AM

Athens or something local,fork sux in a boat.I'd find a place to put in on a major Creek on a lake close to home
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/24/16 03:04 AM

I fished for years from a small boat. You can fish any lake you want to from a yak. Study a map, find an area that is somewhat protected from strong winds, has a place to launch, not necessarily a boat ramp, but a place you can legally get to the water and fish that area like it is its own small lake. For an example of what I am talking about look at Buck creek boat ramp on Ray Roberts on google earth. You will see access with shoreline North and South and a road to the East and a train track to the West. Protected area, with lots of good fishing. Williams Creek on Fork right there at the highway is another good area for a small boat. Marinas are also good and safe for small boats. Fish the area you choose thoroughly and don't worry about the lake as a whole just the small area you have chosen and you will catch plenty of fish!
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/24/16 12:39 PM

welcome
Make sure that you add your location to your profile and then we would recommend a small lake that is in your area.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/24/16 12:52 PM

Lake Gilmer and the upper part of Lake Hawkins would be excellent yak lakes to fish as well. About where do you live so we can think of more maybe closer options.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/24/16 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass Buster1
I fished for years from a small boat. You can fish any lake you want to from a yak. Study a map, find an area that is somewhat protected from strong winds, has a place to launch, not necessarily a boat ramp, but a place you can legally get to the water and fish that area like it is its own small lake. For an example of what I am talking about look at Buck creek boat ramp on Ray Roberts on google earth. You will see access with shoreline North and South and a road to the East and a train track to the West. Protected area, with lots of good fishing. Williams Creek on Fork right there at the highway is another good area for a small boat. Marinas are also good and safe for small boats. Fish the area you choose thoroughly and don't worry about the lake as a whole just the small area you have chosen and you will catch plenty of fish!
Posted By: vicstric

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/24/16 02:50 PM

Where you go might depend on where you live. I would stick close to home if possible. What is your location?

Unless you are familiar with fork I can tell you that at time you will think there is not a bass within 50 miles of fork. It can be great at times. But, just reading about the THOUSANDS of bassers fishing there this time of year and the occational fish of a lifetime being caught can make it seem like you can lose. Trust me you can. I'd get a guide a few time before stiking out on Fork on your own.

I'd stick close to home until you get a few bites under your belt and get comfortable yaking. IMO....
Posted By: David Burton

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/24/16 03:21 PM

Put floats on your rods, close your trays when not changing tackle, leash your paddle, if you aren't using a milk crate, get one that fits your yak. Be prepared for a tumble, it will eventually happen! Anything you can do to make sure the tumble doesn't ruin your day or keep you from fishing is a good thing!

I agree that where you go should depend on where you are.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/24/16 03:50 PM

Your first time going out i would just go to local ponds to get used to fishing out of the yak, throw some weightless watermelon red senkos or trig brush hogs in same color
Posted By: Pine Mills Tracker

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/24/16 04:23 PM

Upper end of lake Hawkins or even Tyler state park has a decent small lake for a kayaks if your headed east. Any of the Wood county lakes can provide good fishing.
Posted By: DedShort

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/24/16 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass Buster1

This is good advice. I look at a big new lake the same way. Don't try to fish the whole thing, just one area. If it has what it needs for a good bass habitat they will be there somewhere. The good thing about a yak is that it helps you to really focus on an area and fish it more thoroughly.
Posted By: BuffaloBrian

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/24/16 07:53 PM

Yak the Brazos
Posted By: mikemtx

Re: First Time, Long Time! Would appreciate any help I can get. - 03/25/16 06:23 PM

Purtis Creek is a small lake to start on.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum