Texas Fishing Forum

big bass tournament strategy

Posted By: tpvegas2213

big bass tournament strategy - 03/23/16 04:37 PM

I'm fishing my first big bass tournament next month and was wondering what you do different then a Stringer tournament
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: big bass tournament strategy - 03/23/16 04:44 PM

I just go fishing.
If your talking about one on Lake Fork then you will need to try and catch big little fish of really big fish.

Re: big bass tournament strategy - 03/23/16 04:48 PM

It's on lake Palestine is it better to move around a lot or pick an area and fish it all day
Posted By: David Burton

Re: big bass tournament strategy - 03/23/16 05:16 PM

There are two main strategies. Fish for a few decent fish to get paid in multiple hours, or one big bite. Based on that, where and how you fish is dictated.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: big bass tournament strategy - 03/23/16 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: tpvegas2213
It's on lake Palestine is it better to move around a lot or pick an area and fish it all day

I would say just go fishing, but try to stick to your best spots and be a little more thorough than you normally would.

Re: big bass tournament strategy - 03/23/16 05:49 PM

I've never fish that like before so I don't have a best spot yet
Posted By: Dr. Crank

Re: big bass tournament strategy - 03/23/16 05:53 PM

A lot slower presentation Imo, depending on the time of year bait size as well
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: big bass tournament strategy - 03/23/16 05:55 PM

When is this tournament on Palestine? I would agree with UTD pick your best spot and mine it slowly. Last year pre-fishing on Palestine I was fishing one of the areas where I catch good fish (3-5lb fish) on a regular basis and caught an 11lb 6oz pig just slowing down and fishing the whole area hard.

Re: big bass tournament strategy - 03/23/16 06:01 PM

The 9th and 10th of April
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: big bass tournament strategy - 03/23/16 06:02 PM

I would be fishing your typical post spawn locations, and just pick them apart.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: big bass tournament strategy - 03/23/16 06:04 PM

I've never fish that like before so I don't have a best spot yet

Spend some time looking at the map, also try to search on her for running palestine. A lot of the lake is a minefield so you have to be careful out there
Posted By: FSWITX

Re: big bass tournament strategy - 03/23/16 06:33 PM

Whatever tournament your fishing and whatever time of year, fish the pattern. This time of year find step/quick drop offs to deeper water adjacent to spawning flats/areas. If you get to 'em early enough they could be up on the flats, if their spooked they'll be deeper. If their deeper, fish slower.
Find a good map of the lake your fishing and study it.

This seems to work for us. Good luck, be safe. texas

Re: big bass tournament strategy - 03/23/16 06:41 PM

What maps do you guys recommend

Re: big bass tournament strategy - 03/23/16 07:01 PM

If you've got access to a computer or smartphone, go to www.navionics.com and select WebApp, this will give you all the detail you should need.

Re: big bass tournament strategy - 03/23/16 07:10 PM

I'm sure you know this tpvegas2213, the closer the contour lines are to each other, the steeper the drop off. texas
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: big bass tournament strategy - 03/23/16 07:20 PM

IF you choose to fish for the 1 big fish, use larger baits and fish them dead slow (adding some scent to the bait is always good advice). If you are fishing to catch the biggest Under slot, find a spawning area (flat off a creek bend) and just go fishing. And LEAVE THE SCISSORS AT HOME. laugh

Re: big bass tournament strategy - 03/23/16 10:02 PM

Lol
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: big bass tournament strategy - 03/24/16 12:08 AM

What maps do you guys recommend

Get a AID map. Some Walmart's have them. Most fishing supply stores will also.
- I haven't read the rules on your tourn.. I am assuming it is hourly big Bass.
- Get the map down and look at the closes North Shore line.
- As you travel North pick the first creek/cove that runs either East or West and is very crooked.
- These are called Dog Leg creeks and will hold the warmer water when the North fronts blow through.
- Go to the last third of the creek or cove.
- I like to start looking when the water depth hits 10 ft. in the creek.
- Start in a bend of the creek, fishing the inside flat toward the bank.
- Go right to the shore and get started with a Spook. Back any missed blow-ups with a 1/32 oz. pinch weight Fluke. (little bullet weight pinched to line at nose).
- If there are bushes work the spook into the bush and let it sit. Short cast is the key. Have your partner throw the Fluke into the bush while the spook is sitting. Repeat as fast and as often down the shore as possible. You have very little of the hour remaining to get to weigh-in. You want to be to weigh-in with two bass if possible.
- Go with what you catch. You can never tell on the first hour.
- Carry a radio to listen to the weights as they come in, if it is broadcast.
- Weight in at the end of the first hour with one fish.
- When the hour flips over to the second hour weigh the other fish.
- Then it is run back to you hole or move to the next closest Dog Leg cove to fish until the end of the third hour.
- It is run and gun like this all day long.
- When the 9 o'clock hour hits start pitching and flipping the hard woods either on these inside bends or go to the back of the creek staying in the creek at 4 ft. deep pitching the creek channel trees. It must have a lip on the channel, one foot drop will work.
- If it is cloudy stay with the top water bite if it is still going on. If not change to a copper will leaf spinner bait with white,blue and Chart. Skirt. Your white and Chart. chatter bait will get the jog done also.
Posted By: Corey Stanley

Re: big bass tournament strategy - 03/29/16 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: FSWITX
If you've got access to a computer or smartphone, go to www.navionics.com and select WebApp, this will give you all the detail you should need.

You can also download the Navionics APP to any smartphone or tablet to be able to access any available mapping anywhere you go.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum