Texas Fishing Forum

Guide trip dilemma Wednesday

Posted By: gene30

Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 12:55 PM

With wind forecast 30mph tomorrow would you go or cancell. We already cancelled one a few weeks ago because of heavy rain and high water. Hate to do it again but I'm concerned about trying to get a quality day of fishing in.
What would you do??
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 12:58 PM

Cancel. Actually, I'd talk to the guide and see what he thinks. He could be on good fish out of the wind.
Posted By: CartersFishingAdventures

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 01:07 PM

Talk with the guide.
Posted By: gene30

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 01:11 PM

Do you think one could actually "get out of the wind" on a 25-30 mph wind day?
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 01:13 PM

Tuff call, fish are moving shallow or already there. He maybe on some good fish and can get outta the wind.
Problem is rescheduling, most are booked day after day right now. The wind is really only bad (for me) when running the lake.
Good luck.. fish
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: gene30

Of course. I saw a bunch of folks getting out of the wind in Big Mustang, Sunday.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 01:52 PM

Don't cancel ever with a guide. Simply ask to reschedule at a later or next avalable date. Most guides take deposits to cover things like this. Rough weather to one person may not be to the next. If you paid a deposit the guide should reschedule you sir.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 01:54 PM

Run it by the guide , wind is your friend , he will know the area
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 01:56 PM

Big fish day tomorrow! Full moon of March. Big girls are dropping their pants!
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: David Welcher

This..go back and look at the records for big fish. The vast majority of big fish caught in the spring come from this week on the calendar. Talk to the guide. I'm betting he can get out of the wind and find some big girls.

Gman
Posted By: steph670

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 02:38 PM

Most guides will work with you I believe. They will know what is rough for them concerning weather. I usually contact the client if I see weather coming in on that day or wind problems to see what they want to do. There is nothing wrong with some chop on the water especially if you are dealing with a spooky female. There is nothing wrong with calling the the guide as well and stating your concerns. The most important factor is we get you on the water and that you have the best experience. The Lake Fork guides will take of you, they always do! I hope you catch a big one! Let us see your pics when you do.
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 02:39 PM

I'd let the guide make that call. If he truly thought it would be an issue and wouldn't provide a top notch experience he would reschedule it.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 04:29 PM

The Wind Alert APP shows wind gusting to 40 with rain Wednesday morning with wind up to 25. The 25 with gust to 40 is going to be a rough day for any guide.
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 06:22 PM

Wind is your friend!! Just say'n. thumb
Posted By: buda13

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRaider3933
I'd let the guide make that call. If he truly thought it would be an issue and wouldn't provide a top notch experience he would reschedule it.

+1

You never know the guide may have really figured something out the last couple of days fishing in the wind. Give em a call!
Posted By: 361V

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 09:40 PM

40mph wind IS NOT my friend! :-)
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 10:14 PM

Some of the best fishing is in this wind! It keeps 75% of the ppl off the water! There are coves to hide in
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD
Wind is your friend!!
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD
Wind is your friend!! Just say'n. thumb

Nobody needs 40 mph of friends.
Posted By: wlgorman

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 11:11 PM

Thats a tough call. I had a trip rescheduled 3 times on fork last year due to the rain, both of my doing and the guides. He ended up being booked way far out after that and we never ended up going and he refunded my deposit.

Whatever happens I hope you get a good trip in soon.
Posted By: Texjef84

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/22/16 11:39 PM

Reschedule, there's no way I pay good money to go fight the winds and muddy water, the guide will thank you.
Posted By: Andy W

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/23/16 12:30 AM

Cancel if you're not conformable with it. I'm kicking myself in the arse for not doing the same my last two trips with a guide. I'm not rich and a guide is not cheap. Pay for what YOU want. Yes, I know the fishing can be tough even with good weather but give yourself the best opportunity
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/23/16 01:31 AM

Well, we have a trip Friday with grills. I'm not canceling unless he does. I've always struggled on post front blue bird days (like everybody) but maybe he can show us how to catch some anyway or teach us something good. I figure the morning might be tuff but the afternoon bite should get better. Of course I don't think the wind is supposed to be 40mph. I would think the guide might want to cancel on that deal.
Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/23/16 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes
Don't cancel ever with a guide. Simply ask to reschedule at a later or next avalable date. Most guides take deposits to cover things like this. Rough weather to one person may not be to the next. If you paid a deposit the guide should reschedule you sir.

+1
Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/23/16 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: gene30

Yes. We did today pretty easily.
The worst part was just getting in to areas and taking some spray over the side of the boat. But that's when your rain gear comes in handy thumb
On days like Today, and tomorrow.. I usually will put in at multiple ramps throughout the day so we can fish different areas without taking a beating running the main lake. There are plenty of ramps on Fork.
Enjoy your trip, tomorrow has potential to be one of the most epic fishing days of the this spring.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/23/16 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
Originally Posted By: David Welcher

This..go back and look at the records for big fish. The vast majority of big fish caught in the spring come from this week on the calendar. Talk to the guide. I'm betting he can get out of the wind and find some big girls.

Gman

It's true. 3 of the 4 biggest bass I've caught were caught during this week in previous years.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/23/16 03:52 AM

Go
Posted By: Kidde

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/23/16 11:25 AM

Just cancel and don't waste your money.
Posted By: lakeforkfishon

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/23/16 11:59 AM

Cancel/Reschedule

Getting wet won't be your friend..no matter how good they say their boat handles rough water.
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/23/16 02:28 PM

I just have to smile when I see guys making posts about the wind being their friend while they sit behind their computer as the gusts howl over 40. smile
Posted By: buda13

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/23/16 02:42 PM

Not behind the computer by choice... if there were any way I could be on Fork today you can bet I'd be there from daylight till dark. This is "THE MOON"

Looking at the winds this morning, looks very fishable so far. I'll bet there are some giants caught out there today.
Posted By: JPeel

Re: Guide trip dilemma Wednesday - 03/23/16 03:38 PM

The only way I'd not go on a scheduled trip this time of year is if the guide canceled. I fished with Grills last Thursday on a short notice / he called me Weds evening trip. We got rained on and blown around by 30+ winds most of the morning, chased off by lightning, and fought 40 mph gusts after lunch. But I caught my personal best 5-fish bag of 32lbs.

Yes, you might have a really tough day. But you might also have an epic day. Only one way to find out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum