Texas Fishing Forum

Rick Clunn Wins in Florida!!!!

Posted By: Fly Rod Yakker

Rick Clunn Wins in Florida!!!! - 03/20/16 08:50 PM

Rick Clunn gets it done, winning the Bassmaster Elite Series event on Florida's St John's River.

After yesterday's huge 31+ bag, he finishes with 81-pounds, 15-ounces and beats runner up Greg Hackney by four pounds.

And becomes the oldest angler to win an Elite Series event at age 69.

Amazing angler for sure!

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/clunn-gets-it-done-0
Posted By: 361V

Re: Rick Clunn Wins in Florida!!!! - 03/20/16 08:56 PM

Love it! Kind of why I love to watch the San Antonio Spurs. Root for the older guy, specially when you become one!
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Rick Clunn Wins in Florida!!!! - 03/20/16 09:22 PM

Outstanding. Glad he got it done.
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: Rick Clunn Wins in Florida!!!! - 03/20/16 09:41 PM

Congrats to a gentleman that has done it the right way for a long time
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: Rick Clunn Wins in Florida!!!! - 03/20/16 09:44 PM

Very cool to see!
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Rick Clunn Wins in Florida!!!! - 03/20/16 09:44 PM

How can you not love that. . .nothing better than seeing the old guys represent so well.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Rick Clunn Wins in Florida!!!! - 03/20/16 09:49 PM

Cool story. Congrats to Mr. Clunn.
Posted By: basspromaster

Re: Rick Clunn Wins in Florida!!!! - 03/20/16 09:54 PM

The old man river walk of the Elites! Had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Rick at bass pro. He was such a nice guy and extremely informative. Congrats to Rick!
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Rick Clunn Wins in Florida!!!! - 03/20/16 10:36 PM

Right on!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Rick Clunn Wins in Florida!!!! - 03/20/16 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: txmark1959
Congrats to a gentleman that has done it the right way for a long time

Congrats; I also like his character/approach and perspective on competitive fishing
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Rick Clunn Wins in Florida!!!! - 03/20/16 10:46 PM

That's Awesome!
Posted By: Neal G

Re: Rick Clunn Wins in Florida!!!! - 03/21/16 12:17 AM

Congratulations to Rick Clunn on the big win. We are wanting and expecting more from him. Lets hope he has a great year.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Rick Clunn Wins in Florida!!!! - 03/21/16 12:52 AM

thumb
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: Rick Clunn Wins in Florida!!!! - 03/21/16 01:51 AM

Love it !! He was speaking at the BPS near us a few yrs back. My father n law 79 wanted to go. So I pick him up and were early so pops sitting in the front seat 1 hr before the talk. I see Rick finishing a meal at the bar inside BPS. I ask if he would mind talking with Dad. Sure he says.. Im waiving Dad over and he won't leave his seat. Finally he comes over and sits and talked to Rick for 30 min.. Both life long fisherman. He talked about it for two weeks... Thanks again Rick
Posted By: MDM

Re: Rick Clunn Wins in Florida!!!! - 03/21/16 02:40 AM

Glad to see him pull one out for the older guys, especially after such a dry spell.

Pulled out some old pics from the 80s. In 88' got to fish a few practice days with him at the Bassmaster Top 100 (predecessor to the Elites) at Lake Okeechobee in FL. We fished a lot of the lake and he found some rattletrap fish. Came in to the dock at Roland Martin's Marina the second day of practice and Gary Klein pulled in next to us. Klein had a tough practice and asked Clunn how he did. As they were good friends and shared some information, Clunn told him traps. Klein asked what size line? Clunn replied 20 lb. and Klein seemed puzzled. Clunn said the key was he was pulling that thing so fast, it slapped them in the face and they never saw the line.

Clunn was using what was then a very new high speed 7:1 Daiwa reel to make fast retrieves triggering reaction bites. At that time, 5:1 was considered hi-speed. On the last day of the actual tournament, a front came through and slowed the trap bite but he caught the same fish with a junebug worm. While he was in contention to win, he finished 5th with Mark Davis taking the title fishing the Rim Canal.

In the picture, the boat he fished the circuit in that year was a Skeeter SK 2000 center console bass boat. That thing was almost too wide to be legal on the road and weighed a ton. It was the only bass boat I have ever been in that you could walk from one side to the other and it wouldn't move. With the BASS limit of 150 HP at that time, it struggled to break 45 mph and was the slowest boat in the field. Despite the handicap, Clunn rallied to win the BASSMASTER Angler Of The Year title that year.

Smiled as he pulled this one out.

Posted By: Mo_Cat

Re: Rick Clunn Wins in Florida!!!! - 03/21/16 04:53 AM

Old guys prefer to be called seniors. I is one.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Rick Clunn Wins in Florida!!!! - 03/21/16 03:01 PM

Zen is in .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum