Texas Fishing Forum

red label deformed

Posted By: dimitri

red label deformed - 03/18/16 10:04 AM

i have been using 15lb red label exclusively the last few years and have noticed from the beginning when i go to put fresh line on my reels that the used line at the bottom of the spool appears deformed. like its diameter is no longer round. it's generally only the closest 50 or so yards to the spool itself. is this normal for flouro? never had this issue with big game. i buy bulk spools from tackle wharehouse and all my reels are curado e. also all my reels have mono backing with black electrical tape over it to keep it from unraveling on the spool before i put the flouro on it. i cannot use a knot between the lines because of what would happen if a fish spooled me with microguides. i ise line and lure treatment religiously after every trip. but i also use line for months at a time unless i backlash or put a kink in it somehow. i dont respool just for the sake of respooling if you catch my drift. anybody got any ideas of what i may be doing wrong to my line? thx in advance!
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: red label deformed - 03/18/16 11:55 AM

Ya idk why it happenes 50-70yds is about all the 15lb floro I ever keep on my reel as soon as I use 1/4 or more of that it gets changed
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: red label deformed - 03/18/16 08:00 PM

You must have Curado 300E reels, because the 200E has about 90 yards of line capacity of 15# test on it. I have never seen this happen, but odd things happen with flouro line. Could be the torque you are putting on it, dunno. If they are 200Es, you might be only fishing flipping/itching things, don't know. But, with backing, tape and flouro, I would doubt that you might only have 30 or 40 yards of usable line on the reel. Just wondering. Wish I could help more. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: red label deformed - 03/18/16 08:20 PM

Happens with just about every type of line besides braid. Its from how the line itself gets laid on the reels. It crosses the lay pattern on the layer underneath and with the pressure on it makes it feel like that. Gets worse the deeper you get into the spool

I haven't ever noticed a performance difference from it though.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: red label deformed - 03/18/16 08:46 PM

There are several line to line knots you can tie that will go through micro guides just fine. Why would you want to lose a fish that could "spool" your line (that would be a REALLY big bass) by using electrical tape? Tie a knot that will go through micro guides and ditch the tape. Other then that I wouldn't worry about what the line at the bottom of your spool looks like. You never use it anyways...
Posted By: dimitri

Re: red label deformed - 03/19/16 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery
There are several line to line knots you can tie that will go through micro guides just fine. Why would you want to lose a fish that could "spool" your line (that would be a REALLY big bass) by using electrical tape? Tie a knot that will go through micro guides and ditch the tape. Other then that I wouldn't worry about what the line at the bottom of your spool looks like. You never use it anyways...

what knot do you suggest bull?
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: red label deformed - 03/19/16 04:25 AM

You're doing something wrong to get spooled by a bass. Especially with 15lb line.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum