Texas Fishing Forum

under spin

Posted By: beans FFL

under spin - 03/18/16 01:45 AM

i recently found a fish head spin i have never used or fished with one before and i want to know how many people use them how they like them when how and where you fish them and what kind of trailer people like to use i fish with spinner baits a lot and i am exited to use it and it seems like its popularity is growing fast
Posted By: Chad Hill

Re: under spin - 03/18/16 02:30 AM

I love them and they do catch fish. I have got to where I will use instead of using a deep diving crankbait almost every time. I have been using the XB360 underspin with a swimbait on it.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: under spin - 03/18/16 03:54 AM

Whacked some 5-7lbers suspended deep under bait in the dog days of summer with a guide on an East Texas lake using under spins.
Posted By: Dakota22

Re: under spin - 03/18/16 04:14 AM

what size do yall use?

Re: under spin - 03/18/16 04:29 AM

what soft bait do you put on it
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: under spin - 03/18/16 04:46 AM

Originally Posted By: beans FFL
what soft bait do you put on it

Fluke
Posted By: Nutman

Re: under spin - 03/18/16 11:21 AM

Fluke, paddle tail, 3" inch Mann's Minnow, 5" Yum
1/4oz -- 3/80z -- 1/2oz
Posted By: Joey Watts

Re: under spin - 03/18/16 11:38 AM

Some of the best ones out there, available in 3 different hook sizes and 4 different weights.

https://www.flatlandscustomtackle.com/store/p61/_Shimmer_Swimmer.html
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: under spin - 03/18/16 12:08 PM

^^^^ yep, these will catch em, and are great around timber because the arm of the spinner flexes and hops over limbs and branches
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: under spin - 03/18/16 12:33 PM

I will have to try an under spin.

Re: under spin - 03/18/16 12:37 PM

why do they all use a "willow" blade?
One of the most successful underspins -- Blackmore Roadrunner -- uses a small Colorado blade.
I really like the underspins with a Colorado blade.
The 3/8oz Roadrunner is really good, but I still change out the blade to #5 custom Colorado blades.
I got some 1/2oz underspins from MT Pockets that I haven't tried yet but look good.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: under spin - 03/18/16 01:10 PM

The 1/4oz and 3/8oz are also good shallow over and in newly flooded grass and brush.

Re: under spin - 03/18/16 01:22 PM

I have been fishing 1/4oz Blackmore Roadrunner; White head with a Mann's 3" Black n Silver Minnow for a few years now. This is a very good lure on Lake Athens & Fork.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: under spin - 03/18/16 01:31 PM

I like to use the 4" little dipper for a bait on it. I agree with Nutman that a little colorado blade makes a big difference.

I like to fish them in any water really but especially in marinas.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: under spin - 03/18/16 01:46 PM

Last summer I caught a few really good fish on an underspin head with a 5" money minnow on it. I think anything you can do to add a little flash to a bait is going to help you get bites.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: under spin - 03/18/16 02:45 PM

I like to use the 3.5" ZZ Swayback swimmer.
http://www.doublezlures.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=58&product_id=67
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: under spin - 03/18/16 05:20 PM

I have used spinnerbait twin tails on them over grass and caught some good fish doing that. Almost anything you want to put on it. I sometimes fish them with a skirt, deep and stop and go retrieve and get HAMMERED with the fish strike there. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

PS, Casey Ashley won the Classic on a underspin head last year.

PPS. I use Spotsticker underhead spins.

http://www.spotsticker.com/product-category/underspins/

Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: under spin - 03/18/16 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Joey Watts
Some of the best ones out there, available in 3 different hook sizes and 4 different weights.

https://www.flatlandscustomtackle.com/store/p61/_Shimmer_Swimmer.html

I like Joey's because you can fish them weedless or extend the hook out the back of the bait by using the screw lock system. Changing out the willow blade is as easy as changing a spinner bait blade. One under spin held up in Mexico with 25 Bass over 5 lbs. no problems. I did change out the screw lock to a magnum size with the spike in the center for a faster and more secure loading of a 6" swim bait.

Re: under spin - 03/18/16 10:53 PM

thank you everyone while im mastering this new device ill use swim baits and flukes when it gets slow and i really like the under spin swim bait hooks im getting some now
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum