Texas Fishing Forum

California knot

Posted By: Flooringit

California knot - 03/17/16 02:51 AM

I live close to mccleland his son Justin showed me a California knot. But I'll be danged I can't find it on YouTube anyone know if it's a different name ?
Posted By: BarryH

Re: California knot - 03/17/16 03:11 AM

San Diego jam knot?

Re: California knot - 03/17/16 03:57 AM

No it starts off like a polamar.
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: California knot - 03/17/16 04:16 AM

Double Palomar Knot maybe?

Re: California knot - 03/17/16 11:47 AM

No he feeds through hook back and fourth like a polamar then makes a little loop flips it then twist the lure 7 times after that I forgot that's why I'm trying to find online.
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: California knot - 03/17/16 12:04 PM

Sounds like a San Diego jam knot except with the line doubled through the eye.
Posted By: BoneDiamond

Re: California knot - 03/17/16 12:09 PM

Double San Diego Jam
Posted By: Brad R

Re: California knot - 03/17/16 12:36 PM

San Diego Jam. And, BoneDiamond and others rightfully call it a double if the line is passing through the eye of the hook twice.

Do this though: learn to tie it as a single, not a double. At first.

It is one of the easiest knots to master. If you use the technique of letting the lure swing to make the loops, it is one of the visually coolest knots to tie especially to your non-angler friends looking on.

The Improved San Diego knot makes a pass through the two lines at the bottom of the wraps at the end of the wraps down toward the hook eye, then pulled back out between the two lines at the top of the wraps.

Once you learn to tie it as a single, about 15 minutes likely, then it would be safe to double up the knot.

Actually, a very good knot, too, and really good if you are tying on a large crankbait with treble hooks hanging off of it all over the place.

Brad
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: California knot - 03/17/16 01:07 PM

Double Pitzen is what it sounds like to me.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/pitzen-knot
Posted By: CCTX

Re: California knot - 03/17/16 01:24 PM

Sounds like "The Power Knot" it starts with a doubled San Diego Jam and ends with a palomar.

Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: California knot - 03/17/16 01:43 PM

Try a double uni knot or a double improved cinch knot. Both will be just as strong and allot easier to tie
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: California knot - 03/17/16 02:17 PM

IS it this knot
Flouro Knot

Re: California knot - 03/17/16 03:06 PM

Knot nomenclature.

No, a Power Knot is not a San Diego Jam at the beginning, then ending in a Palomar Knot. A San Diego Jam makes its wraps down toward the eye of the hook, not away from it. The looping over the terminal tackle is similar, though, to the end of a Palomar.

And, the Fluoro Knot that Grigsby is tying is nothing more than a 3 wrap, doubled line San Diego Jam . . . unimproved, that is, he doesn't pass between the lines at the bottom and the top.

All good knots . . . I still think since the poster here remembers it as a "California" knot, it is likely some form of a San Diego Jam.

*** Nothing new under the sun here . . . just a guess that any knot we know and tie today was likely used/invented by ancient mariners thousands of years ago.

Brad

Re: California knot - 03/18/16 01:09 AM

Hope it's none of those. I will stop in ask him again tomorrow. It does have 3 tag end when done.

Re: California knot - 03/18/16 01:27 AM

That helps a bit identifying it and eliminating many of the knots we have discussed as possibilities.

Hey! Post back what you find out.

Well, a doubled uni knot ends up with a loop that has to be cut off, so if that counts as two tag ends, it has one more single tag end that is trimmed off, too.

This is the only knot I can think of that comes to mind as possibly fitting with the idea of 3 tag ends.

Many of the members here know Bo James of Nutech jig fame. Bo ties a double uni and you can see him cutting off the equivalent of 3 tag ends.

Take a look!

Brad

Bo James of Nutech tying a Doubled Uni Knot
Posted By: CCTX

Re: California knot - 03/18/16 01:07 PM

Yep, sounds like either the doubled uni, the doubled San Diego Jam, or the doubled Pitzen

Doubled San Diego Jam

Doubled uni

Doubled Pitzen
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: California knot - 03/18/16 01:37 PM

I bet it's this one. I use this knot on my jigs. It has 3 tag ends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I905PXIYww

Re: California knot - 03/18/16 02:53 PM

Yes, we discussed Shaw's knot already: a doubled San Diego Jam with only 3 wraps. San Diego knots, in all of their variations, wrap "down" toward the terminal tackle. It is also called a reverse cinch knot.

Collincountytx has the right idea: it needs to be some sort of a "doubled" line knot because that creates a loop that is trimmed off and then, too, the tag end of the doubled line. I guess someone could add this up as 3 tag ends.

*** Why not so with a Palomar knot, a "doubled" knot, itself? It has only a single tag end to cut?

Because the loop on a Palomar knot is pulled over the top of the terminal tackle and acts as an anchor.

Same thing with the Power knot: at the end of its "down" wraps, the loop is pulled over the terminal tackle and anchors the wraps.

If is wasn't so in the case of a Palomar knot, it would have about the same effectiveness as the knot we use to tie our shoelaces. This simple knot has two things going for it: two lines passing through the eye to spread the load . . . and the loop anchor.

Brad

Re: California knot - 03/18/16 05:02 PM

The double Pitzen is a very strong knot and you will have 3 tag ends when you complete the knot.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: California knot - 03/18/16 06:35 PM

The way I tie the knot, I end up with 3 tag ends and the wraps moving "up", away from the terminal tackle. You're doubling the line through the eye, holding, wrapping (I wrap 4 times), and then pull tight while you hold the folded over line. Once you pull, the original tag end AND the held loop ends coming through the top of the knot towards the rod tip. Maybe I'm doing it a little different than he does. But this is the strongest knot that I have found on flourocarbon. Matter of fact I've caught over 35 fish in the past 2 days on the same knot without re tying.

Re: California knot - 03/18/16 09:24 PM

Ok so I stopped in talked to him again today he said he's never heard it called anything else. He said to look up the grisby knot. He said he ties his a little different though. So idk. It was to busy to ask him to tie it again. I'll watch the video again see if I can figure it out. I remember her twisted it like 7 times
Posted By: bowfin

Re: California knot - 03/18/16 11:31 PM

Looks like I need to pick one and start practacing

Re: California knot - 03/21/16 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: LinkLowrance
I bet it's this one. I use this knot on my jigs. It has 3 tag ends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I905PXIYww

That is the double Pitzen knot, the one that Shaw Grigsby demonstrates.

Re: California knot - 03/21/16 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Brad R
Yes, we discussed Shaw's knot already: a doubled San Diego Jam with only 3 wraps.

Brad

Shaw is doing a demonstration of the double Pitzen knot. The San Diego Jam knot is slightly different with one more additional step to complete the knot.

The double Pitzen has never failed me. I use it all the time when tying on large or heavy baits.

Re: California knot - 03/21/16 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
Originally Posted By: Brad R
Yes, we discussed Shaw's knot already: a doubled San Diego Jam with only 3 wraps.

Brad

Shaw is doing a demonstration of the double Pitzen knot. The San Diego Jam knot is slightly different with one more additional step to complete the knot.

The double Pitzen has never failed me. I use it all the time when tying on large or heavy baits.

Yes, double Pitzen fits well here for Shaw's knot. A Pitzen is the same knot as a Eugene Bend, a "16-20", a "Fisherman's knot" . . . and a standard San Diego Jam.

It is an "Improved San Diego Jam" that is different with the tag end or loop being passed through the loop down at the terminal tackle end, then again at the top. That is what supposedly "improves" it.

Most knots, as several of us have mentioned, go by several names with many folks wanting to give us the idea that they "invented" it. Not likely: most have been around for centuries.

Here is another pro fisherman tying a single San Diego Jam . . . note that he doesn't run through the bottom loop near the lure, just through the loop up and away. A single, not double line, more wraps than Shaw uses, but the same knot mechanics. One calls in a Pitzen, the other a San Diego.

Go figure!

Brad

San Diego "unimproved" knot or is it a Pitzen?

Re: California knot - 03/21/16 03:34 PM

Yea Brad and another example of that is a knot called the fish n fool knot that is one of those "newly invented" knots or someone taking credit for inventing it. You begin by running the tag end through the eyelet or split ring twice before tying a standard uni knot. Not really a "new" knot, just slight variation. The Uni has been around for a long long time, way before the "fish n fool" knot.

Re: California knot - 03/21/16 11:11 PM

ezbassin,

I occasionally tie my Uni that way . . . looping through twice for bit more bite. Most times not though.

And, yet another name for a uni knot and what quite a few people call it: a Grinner knot.

Some tie a Grinner knot running it through the eye twice like that.

You know what a lot of this tells me?

Many knots are extremely good if tied correctly; most knots are extremely bad if tied incorrectly.

Some knots are a bit more specific to a particular line or circumstance. For example, a San Diego Jam is a great knot if you are tying on a really large lure with treble hooks hanging off of it.

And, use the knot you tie best.

Brad
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum