Texas Fishing Forum

Pre-Rigging Soft Plastics

Posted By: tbates

Pre-Rigging Soft Plastics - 03/16/16 06:39 PM

Does anyone do this? I had some extra time here at the shop and was thinking about organizing some tackle. I leave my plastics in the bag, in the waterproof box....Would they rust?
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Pre-Rigging Soft Plastics - 03/16/16 06:41 PM

I don't follow.

Why would plastics rust? Are you talking about rigging hooks in the plastics and putting them back in the bag? Why would you do that? 95% of the time when I need a new soft plastic I already have a hook on the end of my line.

Maybe I misunderstood, feel free to correct me.

Re: Pre-Rigging Soft Plastics - 03/16/16 06:47 PM

Yes putting hooks in the plastics then back in the bag. I was talking about the hook rusting...
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Pre-Rigging Soft Plastics - 03/16/16 06:49 PM

I used to pre rig some neko rigs so I didn't have to dig around for nail weights, octopus hooks, rattles, etc; but I've gotten away from doing so. The hooks will rust if there's salt in the plastics. Another factor-- I've found that the color/type of worm you feel the most confident in at a specific moment in time changes a lot; particularly if you fish a bunch of different lakes.

Re: Pre-Rigging Soft Plastics - 03/16/16 06:50 PM

I didn't make that clear did I....

Re: Pre-Rigging Soft Plastics - 03/16/16 06:53 PM

Figured it would rust...Thanks for saving me some time.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Pre-Rigging Soft Plastics - 03/16/16 06:56 PM

Guess I just don't understand why you would do this? Most soft plastics cost around $.30 each, these days. Hooks cost between $1-$2. So would you be cutting off and re-tying every time you lost or tore up a plastic? Makes no sense to me, rust or not.

Re: Pre-Rigging Soft Plastics - 03/16/16 07:04 PM

In case you break off, dull the hook, bend the hook.
Posted By: steven gillock

Re: Pre-Rigging Soft Plastics - 03/16/16 07:04 PM

waste of time for the most part
also if bait has salt added they will rust!!
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Pre-Rigging Soft Plastics - 03/16/16 07:05 PM

Back before all the grass in our lakes mysteriously died, I fished a neko rigged green pumpkin trick worm 90% of the time. The night before I would weight every worm and dip every tail in chartreuse. Saved me a lot of time on the water.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Pre-Rigging Soft Plastics - 03/16/16 08:01 PM

Just pre rig your hooks and leave the plastics in the bag until you need them.
Posted By: jwcromer

Re: Pre-Rigging Soft Plastics - 03/16/16 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Guess I just don't understand why you would do this? Most soft plastics cost around $.30 each, these days. Hooks cost between $1-$2. So would you be cutting off and re-tying every time you lost or tore up a plastic? Makes no sense to me, rust or not.
this............saving 5 seconds
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Pre-Rigging Soft Plastics - 03/17/16 02:20 AM

Are you breaking off a lot or bending a lot of hooks man? If so you might want to change hooks or line. Especially if it's becoming such an issue that you're thinking about pre-rigging plastic worms.
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Pre-Rigging Soft Plastics - 03/17/16 02:38 AM

Only thing I pre rig is a Carolina rig. I'll make a few up, but I don't put the plastic on the hook until it's time to use it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum