Texas Fishing Forum

EV Spence - Robert Lee

Posted By: Hefe

EV Spence - Robert Lee - 03/14/16 09:05 PM

Anyone fished it lateley? I was talking to an old man the other day and he said they were catching alot of small fish for fun down there. I am looking for a place to take my young kids for a day and try to get them a bite. Anyone?
Posted By: timwins31

Re: EV Spence - Robert Lee - 03/14/16 10:59 PM

I haven't fished it since high school. But last week the TPWD were out there doing a survey, they found really good numbers of bass and catfish, all were small but they said the numbers were really good.
Posted By: T54

Re: EV Spence - Robert Lee - 03/14/16 11:13 PM

The lake to watch out there is going to be JB Thomas. New lake effect after a big rise and freshly stocked. I am willing to be that place will kick out some giants a few years down the road. Those west Texas lakes grow em big when conditions are good.
Posted By: pro dirt raker

Re: EV Spence - Robert Lee - 03/15/16 12:16 AM

I hope you are right. Cant get much closer to Midland!

Re: EV Spence - Robert Lee - 03/15/16 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: T54
The lake to watch out there is going to be JB Thomas. New lake effect after a big rise and freshly stocked. I am willing to be that place will kick out some giants a few years down the road. Those west Texas lakes grow em big when conditions are good.

Shhhh! Lol.

Seriously tho, that lake is gonna be awesome. As long as the water level stays reasonable, it's gonna be awesome in 3 or 4 years.
Posted By: STEVE B

Re: EV Spence - Robert Lee - 03/15/16 01:23 AM

Have you tried the pond/lake in Andrews? I havent fished it since it got low a few years ago. Not sure if it ever dried up or not. I took my kids when they were little and we caught alot of little cats and perch. Always was a good spot for kids. I keep wanting to make the trip up there and see whats going on there.. we going make another trip up to alan henry , last wk we caught a few up there and it should get better if the water will warm up..
Posted By: SC-001

Re: EV Spence - Robert Lee - 03/15/16 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: timwins31
Originally Posted By: T54

Shhhh! Lol.

Seriously tho, that lake is gonna be awesome. As long as the water level stays reasonable, it's gonna be awesome in 3 or 4 years.
If they don't suck it dry, which if I had to bet they will.
Posted By: ksalmon

Re: EV Spence - Robert Lee - 03/15/16 03:08 PM

Any time I had fished Thomas in the past it was an absolute mudhole. Just something in my head about fishing in that discolored of water. I never did good there. Is it still muddy now?

Re: EV Spence - Robert Lee - 03/15/16 06:12 PM

nothing on Spence?
Posted By: pro dirt raker

Re: EV Spence - Robert Lee - 03/16/16 01:10 AM

Crystal clear
Posted By: STEVE B

Re: EV Spence - Robert Lee - 03/16/16 01:48 AM

I just sent my cousin a text and he said catfish up to 10lbs are getting beter and 17"-18" bass are getting more abundant.. he lives at the lake...

Re: EV Spence - Robert Lee - 03/16/16 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: ksalmon
Any time I had fished Thomas in the past it was an absolute mudhole. Just something in my head about fishing in that discolored of water. I never did good there. Is it still muddy now?

I hate fishing that muddy, rusty colored water too. It kills me mentally. I grew up fishing a crystal clear spring fed creek and that muddy water is like another world for me.

Re: EV Spence - Robert Lee - 03/17/16 03:51 AM

Bump 1 time
Posted By: breauxmule

Re: EV Spence - Robert Lee - 03/17/16 02:47 PM

Have a deer lease just S of Robert Lee, lovin all the rain
Posted By: Chuck72

Re: EV Spence - Robert Lee - 03/17/16 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Hefe
nothing on Spence?

You can catch a few Bass there. Decent numbers haven't caught any giants. Just a pain to launch there right now. The last rain did nothing for the lake. I put in at the Dam, but have seen smaller aluminum boats launching off the bank at Wildcat. Problem at Wildcat is that once someone launches they seem to like to leave there truck parked in right front of one the only places to launch, blocking access to it for others.

Just watch the 2 old roadways out there, still visible in spots and shallow in other places.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum