Texas Fishing Forum

crank bait colors

Posted By: jazz

crank bait colors - 03/14/16 03:18 PM

In stained water - on a cloudy day and also on clear day - do you throw a darker bait/crawfish/red or chrome/silver.

Which works best with the weather

does it work the same in clearer water.
Posted By: BigBassB

Re: crank bait colors - 03/14/16 03:43 PM

Depends on the time of year. This time I like to throw crawfish colors. Murky water/cloudy days I throw darker colors, clear water/clear skies I tend to go lighter colors or translucent
Posted By: High wide and heavy

Re: crank bait colors - 03/14/16 05:51 PM

I agree with Bigbass, I would add that when in doubt I mix in white or Tennessee Shad
Posted By: CCTX

Re: crank bait colors - 03/14/16 06:02 PM

Sunny day with slightly stained to clear water, I like something natural looking with flash/silver flake.
Cloudy day with slightly stained to clear water, solid/opaque colors like shad/pearl/bone/gill
More heavily stained water-chartreuse colors, especially if throwing deep cranks.

Red/brown/orange/black/blue opaque cranks prespawn and early spawn can be great in any color water/clear or sunny.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: crank bait colors - 03/14/16 07:37 PM

I have to agree with collincountytx. Same way I do it, too. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: crank bait colors - 03/15/16 12:52 AM

Cloudy Day - Water Slightly Stained - Visibility to 2 ft. - Chrome Black Back Little-N, by Norman.

Sunny Day - Same Conditions - Texas Orange Square Bill 1.5 with Black Splatter Back/Pale Chart. Belly.

Technique - Wobble both baits through heavy cover in 2 to 4 ft. of water using short cast with 20 lb. Floro.. - Keeping the bait in and out of visibility.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: crank bait colors - 03/15/16 01:15 AM

As visibility goes down crank up the crank bait visibility. Just don't over do it. Chartreuse is good.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: crank bait colors - 03/15/16 06:38 AM

My favorite overall is bone unless it's really muddy then I'll switch to chartreuse blk back, in clear water I use a lot of ghost patterns.
Posted By: Do-Nothin

Re: crank bait colors - 03/15/16 04:00 PM

Caught 2 of my better fish lately in dirty water on a chartreuse/black back LC Squarebill. May be just dumb luck, but I'm still throwing the heck out of it lol.
Posted By: Abilenehookset

Re: crank bait colors - 03/15/16 05:03 PM

Crawfish color
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum