Texas Fishing Forum

Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard

Posted By: M. Alexander

Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/14/16 01:52 PM

I'm still learning 'ol Mother Hubbard & haven't ventured up the river yet...hear it's pretty treacherous. Could somebody shed some insight on how to run it...post or PM a shot of a route? That would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Kidde

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/14/16 02:45 PM

By the time this thread is though, there will be 5 different arguments going, 78 replies telling you that there aren't any fish there, 42 replies telling you it's too dangerous, and 6 guys all telling one or 2 others how awesome they are for actually knowing how to get in there.
Posted By: Kidde

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/14/16 03:11 PM

I did fish it one time with a guy that knew how to get in there and we never got a bite. He kept telling me that he was catching 30 pounds every time he went in there and of course when I went, zero!
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/14/16 03:22 PM

I have going in there for 30 years and you better know what you are doing because you will loose a lower unit in a heart beat. It is extremely dangerous for the ones who want to take a chance. Now with that being said there have not been any fish up there for about three years now, way to much current. Good Luck
Posted By: T CLIMER

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/14/16 05:09 PM

I been fishing that lake all my life and yea back in the days before GPS goggle and videos we did catch a lot of big sacks up there! But you better know what your doing going up there!! It's not what it used to be, I fished up there sat in a tournament had one little one in there, the current is not moving out of Lavon and want till Hubbard gets some water gone, but be careful if you try it!
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/14/16 05:47 PM

I was up there Saturday too. Fishing stinks !

If you have good Insurance. Trim it high and let it fly.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/14/16 05:53 PM

If you can't see them, they aren't there! Trim it high and go for it! Stumps all over!

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/14/16 06:10 PM

The fisherman in me is reading all the posts on how dangerous and bad the fishing is up there as "stay away from my 30lb hole!" Hahaha. I'll give it shot up there when the wind isn't Cat 2 hurricane force. I've bumped stumps at idle all the way up Indian on Ray Bob when it was 8 ft. low so I have no problem inching along if I have to at first.

Thanks for the responses, fellas.
Posted By: txbassman2019

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/14/16 07:34 PM

indian is a little different in this case roflmao

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/14/16 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Jordan_lane
indian is a little different in this case roflmao

Happy to learn in what ways from ya, Jordan.
Posted By: Ride-or-Fish ®

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/14/16 08:58 PM

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/14/16 09:03 PM

that's an older picture. The beaver dam (not pictured... my bow was riding on it, I'm mid way through jumping over it here) has long since been washed away. Used to be a LOT of fun up there. Have not been in quite some time.

The way up can be quite harrowing. There are many widowmakers hanging out just beneath the surface. Not sure if the huge big nasty is still right near the main mouth/entrance or not.. again, its been quite some time. When I had this boat, I finally just decided one day to pucker up and learn the way in. Spent many hours (far less than most who have replied here) learning my way in and around the river.

FISHING it, is another story all together. That's additional T.O.W. spent just trying to figure out how to catch something, once I finally taught myself how to get there.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/14/16 09:15 PM

I sure had it down back in the mid 1980's. Even then it took some nads to put a brand new Skeeter 175 Starfire up there
But it sure was fun
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/14/16 09:22 PM

Dang this brings back memories. My dad and I fished small tournament on the lake about 20 years ago. The river was our go too spot. It's where we would catch good numbers and size. But that day we only caught one. I caught a 3 or 4lber on a helicopter lure. I think that was the only fish I caught on those.
Posted By: TDR2

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/14/16 09:37 PM

Two years with no water, 6 months with water pulling through it, sewage spill that killed a bunch of fish, tough as nails to get up there in 1 piece... I guess I'm just not that mad at them anymore.

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/14/16 10:19 PM

Oh man, I guess I'd not heard (or I don't recall hearing) about the sewage spill. Hopefully, like many bodies of water that struggle, it will come back with time.
Posted By: snickers

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/14/16 10:37 PM

Now i know why the fish taste crappy
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/14/16 11:05 PM

When the drought hit the access was cut off and the bank fishermen pretty much cleaned it out. IMO it will take a few years to come back...if ever. I used to go up all the time but have only been up once last year. It's a real shame how torn up it got.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/15/16 12:06 AM

There are far better places on Hubbard for size and numbers.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/15/16 01:25 PM

Go for it! I hear the Grinnell are on!
Posted By: Rockie Martin

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/15/16 03:13 PM

One thing I have noticed is it definitely does not look the same up there. Also, there are a couple stumps that have got alot of boaters over the years....When in doubt just idle! I have been up there a few times but honestly have not done any good.
Posted By: gutcheck

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/15/16 04:02 PM

I've fished it for several years from the yak. IMO it gets good when there is plenty of water but little or no current in the spring. The big fish come in to spawn and many of them end up staying through the summer and fall because there's plenty for them to eat. It got cut off the last 2 years because of the drought and the quality fish didn't do well. Lots of meat fishermen on the banks throwing everything they caught in a bucket didn't help. Since then it's been pretty much non stop heavy current from the lavon dam. LMBs don't like that much current. If it stays like this through the spawn I doubt the fishing is any good this spring or summer.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Take me to the river! Ray Hubbard - 03/15/16 07:08 PM

Wasted a good morning up there a couple weeks ago. I'd stay south of 30! Bigger fish!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum